On behalf of Ah Lau..... :D

Anyone for a drive trip to Yangon???

Details to be shared by Ah Lau.

Edited by Dwoon
↡ Advertisement

This reminded me once that started a thread to ask for advice to drive from Singapore to China. Couldn't find time to do it and family against it <_< .

Hope you guys can make it there.

Regards,

Hi Dwoon,

Is this possible? Apart from the language and Visa, you probably have to drive a 4x4 because the road condition in Myanmar is unfavourable.

Thanks buddy, appreciate the help. OK, here goes:

The purpose of this thread is to look for MCFers to join in a Singapore to Yangon road trip. I am a Singaporean working in Yangon. As far as I'm aware such a journey has not been done before for various reasons the main one probably being border crossing difficulties and government attitude towards foreigners who wish to drive.

The company (a Burmese GLC) I work for has agreed in principle to sponsor the event by way of taking care of the paperwork when the cars and particpants enter Myanmar. The value proposition for the sponsor is in brand building and being seen as a responsible corporate body. What's in it for particpant is the chance to do this trip in a safe and hassle free way and also to take part in volunteer work.

Along the way from the border entry at Mae Sot (on the Thai side) to Yangon, the plan is to do volunteer work, perhaps making the journey in 3 days, driving for half a day and then stopping at poorer villages for the night. Driving without stopping is maybe 15 hours slow drive.

One area of volunteer work that fits this sort of drive-through volunteerism is medical / dental care. If anyone has other ideas, please jump in.

I'm looking for drivers (with car) who would like to come. I will myself drive from SG to Yangon in my own car. For those who wish to join, this will be a unique opportunity to be able to drive from Mae Sot to Yangon, most likely never to be repeated unless they have the blessing of the Myanmar government. If there are doctors / dentists who wish to take part and also drive, even better. If not it's fine if they come as passengers.

The timing for this event is not yet fixed, but most likely will take place before end-March. The climate of Myanmar is coming into the cool and dry season now, so it is very pleasant once the weather stabilises.

Participants will be expected to cover their own expenses. Medical supplies will most likely be sponsored. We won't be staying in 5 star hotels along the way, neither will we be staying in backpacker type lodging, but it will be safe and comfortable. The pace will be relaxed, the way an enjoyable road trip should be.

The proposed schedule is SG - BKK (about 4 days), then BKK - Nakhon Sawan - Mae Sot (border crossing point), 2 days. Mae Sot - Yangon 3 days. Yangon and beyond - free and easy. The schedule is just a proposal, open to modification.

We will have Burmese participants to take care of the government liaison functions. Before end-Nov I will do a recce trip on the proposed route from Yangon to Mae Sot and back to see what conditions are like.

A bit about myself: I have some experience with long distance driving. I was team leader for Team Singapore during the India-ASEAN Rally in 2004. We drove from Guwahati to Batam (about 8,000+km) in about 21 days. Also drove my own car with AA Autoventures to Chiang Mai and also Phuket. Made numerous trips to Bukit Kayu Hitam and beyond.

Any takers?

• Praise 1

Hi Dwoon,

Is this possible? Apart from the language and Visa, you probably have to drive a 4x4 because the road condition in Myanmar is unfavourable.

Thanks for voicing your concerns. Please allow me to address them.

Language: Burmese participants (my colleagues) will look after (they are fairly senior people in Yangon society). They won't bail out half way.

Visa: can apply in Singapore. More details available for those really interested. Same visa for the rest of the world that wants to go to Myanmar.

Car permit: sponsor will look after.

Road condition: can lah. Same standard as the trunk roads on the east coast of Malaysia. Not NSE standard, but not requiring a 4x4 either. Of course there will be potholes, but it's not as though the route is carpeted with potholes.

I plan to drive my IS250. That should tell you how much confidence I have in their road conditions.

Any takers?

If for charity, I may consider.

But I'm just a commoner not an elite.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

If for charity, I may consider.

But I'm just a commoner not an elite.

Regards,

I'm quite sure the people coming along consider themselves as regular folk who just want to help in their own small way and also have the chance to do this drive. Just come lah.

Hmmm.... ever thought of getting Media Corp to be a sponsor and send a team to participate? They can film and air the program. [rolleyes]^_^

Hmmm.... ever thought of getting Media Corp to be a sponsor and send a team to participate? They can film and air the program. [rolleyes]^_^

Thanks for the suggestion. That might work if there are enough cars. Having the media embedded in the event will also fundamentally alter the nature of the trip. Not sure how this idea will go down with the sponsor. Will float the idea to them. If they are happy with the event getting more rah-rah, then good.

I am quite keen. But have few questions.

1) How much is the estimated cost?

2) I intend to get my small little OPC Peugeot 107 for the trip. Do you think it is possible with the road conditions which I have totally no idea about?

3) How many days estimated go and back? Including time for volunteer work etc? (18 days???)

I have been to Yangon, Bagan & Mandalay. Mandalay is a nice place.

Edited by Seaweed

Cannot lah, why make it so high profile. If too high profile, I scare to go liao [laugh].

Regards,

u scare to appear on our national tv har ??? ha ha...with or without media coverage or media as sponsor is secondary... i would say this is a interesting trip for those joining and at the same time able to do some good deeds directly..as long as safety is adequate and trip is properly organise...it is a great thing..of course also not breaking a big hole on the pocket... [:p]

u scare to appear on our national tv har ??? ha ha...with or without media coverage or media as sponsor is secondary... i would say this is a interesting trip for those joining and at the same time able to do some good deeds directly..as long as safety is adequate and trip is properly organise...it is a great thing..of course also not breaking a big hole on the pocket... [:p]

I am more keen for the charitable cause and that is what "drives" me [laugh] . Don't like the media exposure though.

Regards,

I'm interested but can't afford to take time off work for 20 days or so.

Then I also wonder how am I useful since I'm no doctor or dentist. [blush]

Kelpie, ... if the media is there... you think they interested in filming you?? They'll have their own local celebs to host lah... at the most, maybe just catch a glimpse of other participants. They won't be interested to waste flim on you (if that's what you're worried about) [:p][laugh]

humm...then seem this proposed trip suits u rather well..from mr ah lau description...it seem mostly a self-organise trip with assistance render only on thai-burma crossing...and it definitely does not seem to me as a purely commercially motivated one...if a peugeot 107 can make the trip...the budget is ok...and number of days are not too extreme...i am really very keen...

u have from now till march to plan your work ma !!! ha ha...tell your boss you are going away for 20 days for a good cause..

no doctor...no dentist...me too no doctor or dentist mah...it is the heart and thought that counts...I think it is a fantastic experience on a personal note...our scope of duty probably I will assume is to used our car as transportation for the medical supply for those needy folks....

gain a good experience and at the same time playing a part to really physically help the needy...isn't it great...we play our part as a driver...if no driver...even got medical supply...it won't reach those in need...