What is the purpose of coolant

Verve

eh bro.. is this the blue colour water? tat day my dad say my car the blue colour coolant become very little.. then say he help me top up normal tap water-.-.. my car is quite new , 6 mth SSS so is there any problem? coz haven till 10k so haven go 3rd servicing... do i need to tell the service ppl to change it or wat?

thanx in advance

↡ Advertisement

The coolant overflow tank is for exchange of coolant. Overpressure and the coolant pop the spring and overflow to the tank. When not enough, it is sucked back into the radiator.

Since the overflow tank is not "sealed", it is not entirely closed from this point of view.

you need coolant for:

1. wear and rust protection

2. increase thermal conductivity

3. to prevent the cooling system from freezing (in cold weather)

i won't even put tap water into the system. everytime i flush it, i use distilled water. and i use distilled water for the 70-30 mix (as recommended by workshop manual for my car in hot climates).

and, don't be fooled by colour of the coolant. same colours don't mean the same composition! some are silicate free, some as phosphor free, put the wrong thing in and you will stuff up your system. if you don't know what you are doing, best to send to a workshop.

Read:

Useful link about coolant

The coolant overflow tank is for exchange of coolant. Overpressure and the coolant pop the spring and overflow to the tank. When not enough, it is sucked back into the radiator.

Since the overflow tank is not "sealed", it is not entirely closed from this point of view.

yap. thats wat im trying to tell bro Vinceh

In a tropical climate like what we have here in the SG,. What is the best mix for a climate like ours is a 10-90 or 30/70 mix of antifreeze/coolant and distilled water?

I am using Mitsubishi long life coolant 30/70, good enough?

Edited by Hachi

19 hours ago, Hachi said:

In a tropical climate like what we have here in the SG,. What is the best mix for a climate like ours is a 10-90 or 30/70 mix of antifreeze/coolant and distilled water?

IMHO. 
If more water,  you will have less corrosion inhibitors.  If you are ok with that, then it is alright. . 

On 9/7/2019 at 3:46 AM, Hachi said:

Follow coolant manufacturers recommendation 

Here are some  useful info on ethylene and propylene glycol coolant. Always use distilled water as pipe water contains cholride

• 50/50 mixture - the coolant will boil at 107 deg C (228deg F) and freeze at -37deg C (-34deg F)
  • 70/30 mixture - the coolant will boil at 135 deg C (276deg F) and freeze at -64deg C (-84deg F)
  • Solution with more than 70% antifreeze will give less protection.

To check coolant mixture use special designed ethylene or propylene coolant hydrometer .

Hydrometer _ Ethylene Glycol tester.jpg

Hydrometer_Propylene Glycol Tester.jpg

Digging up some very old post.

Topping up coolant with DISTILLED WATER?

I always see my mechanic (from diff service station) just use a water pipe to top up!

Does the Toyota Long Life coolant compatible to KIA as of today?

Twincharged
57 minutes ago, Bluepica said:

Digging up some very old post.

Topping up coolant with DISTILLED WATER?

I always see my mechanic (from diff service station) just use a water pipe to top up!

Does the Toyota Long Life coolant compatible to KIA as of today?

Actually Singapore tap water is fine. Why you get people overseas advocating not to use tap is because their tap water is hard water and the calcium will clog the radiator lines. Water in SG is ok. Look at your kettle. After litres and litres of water being boiled, do you see any calcium deposited formed. Maybe just a little stain from rust at most. 
the radiator is a sealed system and at most 7L. You won’t kill it by adding that minute bit of impurities that is not already present in aluminum head and engine blocks etc. 

if you are kiasu, just use Watson distilled water. Cheap. Battery water is NOT distilled water. Battery water is filtered and de ionized. 

if you fully flush the radiator, you can add any coolant you please. 

• Praise 3

7 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

. Maybe just a little stain from rust at most. 

this is actually quite misleading.

if your cooling system dun have coolant , it will start to rust, prolong rusting will choke up your radiator, damage your water pump , jam your thermostat. et etc etc

• Praise 1

Twincharged
26 minutes ago, Beregond said:

this is actually quite misleading.

if your cooling system dun have coolant , it will start to rust, prolong rusting will choke up your radiator, damage your water pump , jam your thermostat. et etc etc

My answer was to topping up coolant with distilled water. So not misleading. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

My answer was to topping up coolant with distilled water. So not misleading. 

sorry i am confuse, or maybe i make mistake.

distilled water can prevent rust? i need google to check😉

On 8/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, Mkl22 said:

Actually Singapore tap water is fine. Why you get people overseas advocating not to use tap is because their tap water is hard water and the calcium will clog the radiator lines. Water in SG is ok. Look at your kettle. After litres and litres of water being boiled, do you see any calcium deposited formed. Maybe just a little stain from rust at most. 
the radiator is a sealed system and at most 7L. You won’t kill it by adding that minute bit of impurities that is not already present in aluminum head and engine blocks etc. 

if you are kiasu, just use Watson distilled water. Cheap. Battery water is NOT distilled water. Battery water is filtered and de ionized. 

if you fully flush the radiator, you can add any coolant you please. 

I agree with this, been using tap water for years since 2008. Radiator when wear and tear it has to go, even you use top grade distilled water it will still spoil

SG water is so soft that young infants can drink straight from tap