What is the purpose of coolant

Verve

9 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

Thanks.

I checked servicing record. Last done in Jul 2020 (due to go anytime now). There was 2L of coolant used.

if u need to top up 2 l confirm something wrong liao.

either small leakage or engine makan water.

↡ Advertisement

11 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

In your case of microscopic leaks, was there repair required? Need to change radiator or tank? Or just do something to patch? I gg to buy some distilled water and pour in first later today.

I had to change my whole radiator.
Which is why I always ask this standard question. 
I recall got others having the similar issue.

Actually, changing of the radiator coolant requires a flush to get everything out.
I came to know because I brought X bottles of distilled water (as per the owners manual)  to the workshop
but they did not use everything.  

When changing to my present vehicle, I asked the SE what coolant was use.
Mine now uses premix which I feel is less of a hassle even if you have left over coolant while changing. 

Basically there re two types of coolant - Ethylene Glycol ( use mainly by Asia Cars ) & Propylene Glycol ( use mainly by European Cars) . Premix coolant has ratio of 50 :50  glycol to distilled water. Tap water should be avoided as is often treated with chlorine, which is corrosive.

For cooling system leak, go to shop that has coolant pressure tester for diagnosis. One of the best method to determine if the coolant is properly mixed is to measure the strength or concentration of the antifreeze ( glycol ) with a hydrometer.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

In your case of microscopic leaks, was there repair required? Need to change radiator or tank? Or just do something to patch? I gg to buy some distilled water and pour in first later today.

Sylphy cannot anyhow use water to top up

10 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Use the nissan pre mixed coolant.  Can buy from TC

Toyota using premix coolant,  water can be used for top up during emergency.
I will use distilled water.

↡ Advertisement