A Dilemma about Primary Sch Parent Volunteer

Sunnyvip

Am very delighted when Nan Hua Pri Sch (NHPS) accepted my application as PV for my daughter's enrolment for P1 in 2012. However, me now staying >2km (at CCK)...thus am contemplating very hard on whether to shift house. Have checked the property prices (both HDB and pte) in Clementi area (especially within 1 km of NHPS) and it is quite high...or should I enrol in a decent neighbourhood sch within my resident vicinity and then enrol her for tuition and enrichment classes instead??

At CCK, I am considering South View Pri (within 1km to 2km from where I stay) and Yew Tee Pri (within 1km from where I stay)...however, for both 2008 and 2009, South View Pri has balloting even in Phase 2B for those residing within 1km, while for Yew Tee Pri, balloting was applicable for phase 2C only.

Thus far, NHPS only has balloting for phase 2B in 2008. For 2009 and a few years before 2008, there was no balloting in phase 2B.

Haiz...really in a dilemma...any advice from gurus here??

Many thks!!

↡ Advertisement

seriously..i think from CCK to Clementi isn't exactly what i'd call far..and if i recall correctly, can take direct bus 188 there..

also, what i believe is although tuition and enrichment classes can make up for the difference between a good school and neighbourhood school, but nothing can replicate the learning environment of a good school..unless your kid can really be self-disciplined..

i've nothing against neighborhood school, as i'm from one myself..but the moment i step into uni, the difference between those that go go good school and neighborhood school is quite apparent..

going to school near home is always better, kids won't get tire on the travelling. CCK to clemenyi is quite far, especially during the jam at peak hour. to go through this for 6 years is not easy.

Edited by Jman888

good primary school is good to have but not a necessity from Pri 1. if your child is reasonably intelligent, use the legitimate sure enter back-door - GEP test in Pri 3. my brother and cousin are tried and tested examples who managed to transit to branded schools from neighbourhood schools this way. no donation, stay more than 10km away, no need volunteer work, no need connections...

with reasonable intelligence plus plenty of IQ training, definitely can get into a good school through GEP. but then in the end of all of us went to the same secondary school.

the main difference I can tell between neighbourhood school and good school is that my friend and I were the first few students to make it to the sec school from our primary school in many years. whereas, more than 20 boys from my brother's school make it to my sec school yearly. they also tend to score higher. my score wouldn't have been top 10 in my brother's school but i was no. 3 in mine. so definitely, higher chance of a high PSLE score and entering top secondary school from a good school. but mind you, I am speaking of very elite primary schools like ACS, Nanyang etc... not all brand name schools are made equal :)

CCK to Clementi not very far lah. Not surprised that even Phase 2B, Nan Hua also need to ballot. Demand more than supply, with most old boys and girls going back to their alma mata through Phase 2A and 2B. Will be sending my son there too, but that will be 7 years down the road [flowerface]

good primary school is good to have but not a necessity from Pri 1. if your child is reasonably intelligent, use the legitimate sure enter back-door - GEP test in Pri 3. my brother and cousin are tried and tested examples who managed to transit to branded schools from neighbourhood schools this way. no donation, stay more than 10km away, no need volunteer work, no need connections...

with reasonable intelligence plus plenty of IQ training, definitely can get into a good school through GEP. but then in the end of all of us went to the same secondary school.

the main difference I can tell between neighbourhood school and good school is that my friend and I were the first few students to make it to the sec school from our primary school in many years. whereas, more than 20 boys from my brother's school make it to my sec school yearly. they also tend to score higher. my score wouldn't have been top 10 in my brother's school but i was no. 3 in mine. so definitely, higher chance of a high PSLE score and entering top secondary school from a good school. but mind you, I am speaking of very elite primary schools like ACS, Nanyang etc... not all brand name schools are made equal :)

many many years ago, i got 274 for my psle.

i was at least the top 3 of my normal neighbourhood pri sch.

when i went to my sec sch, i was like in the 6th class.

they grouped the students according to their psle score.

Neutral Newbie

i am surprised that NH accepted you as PV. normally they dont consider you if you stay out of range. i guess you may have some special skills that they really dont want to miss.

if you move to <2km, you are basically guaranteed. otherwise you take risk.

for me, i moved from cck to bishan for aitong school.

there is pros and cons but end of the day, you make your own decision. there is no hard rule of what you must or must not.

keep in mind that students in good schools also go to and even more active in tuition and enrichment classes. there are exceptions but generally, if you check who are the top students in those famous enrichment classes, you will see they are normally from good primary schools. i could not figure out why but that's what i see.

sad to say that your assumption of "normal primary school+enrichment classes=good primary school performance" may be only your assumption.

many many years ago, i got 274 for my psle.

i was at least the top 3 of my normal neighbourhood pri sch.

when i went to my sec sch, i was like in the 6th class.

they grouped the students according to their psle score.

same here. but i scraped into the 4th class. haha. in my time entry requirements tended to be lower. [scholar]

oh and TS, if it were me, I wouldn't move for Nan Hua (no offense to any NH people) but only make the move for schools like Nanyang, ACS, RGPS... for Aitong, Henry Park, Rosyth etc it would depend on how expensive the move is. this is assuming i can afford to move, which i highly doubt.

like i said, not all brand name schools are made the same. must check out the school's track record etc to determine the risks that your 'investment' will not pay off.

oh and TS, if it were me, I wouldn't move for Nan Hua (no offense to any NH people) but only make the move for schools like Nanyang, ACS, RGPS... for Aitong, Henry Park, Rosyth etc it would depend on how expensive the move is. this is assuming i can afford to move, which i highly doubt.

like i said, not all brand name schools are made the same. must check out the school's track record etc to determine the risks that your 'investment' will not pay off.

I agree. Though I'm an old boy of NHPS, somehow I feel that their programmes are too academic focused. To move house, just to go Nan Hua, is a big risk and not forgetting how much $$$ you are going to spend. But I will still secure a place for my son in NHPS in Phase 2A, then make other plans. Maybe through backdoor to other better schools [lipsrsealed]

One way of looking at this .... do whatever you can to get your daughter in, when you have grandchildren, you daughter might thank you for it.

One way of looking at this .... do whatever you can to get your daughter in, when you have grandchildren, you daughter might thank you for it.

ya...espeically when all primary schools gona be single session very soon. Entry via PV gona be even more competitive than ever before.

provided the school did not drop in their academic standard [sweatdrop]

Hi all gurus here

Thks for your replies....

Though distance from CCK and Clementi is not far, but if take chartered transport it will take anything from 45 mins to an hour cos the bus will detour to many other places before reaching NHPS in Clementi..

Hi Tjkbeluga

Did consider De La Salle but it is moving to where formerly Teck Whye Pri is located as it is upgrading its premises (will complete its reno works by Dec 2012)...its temporary premises is be either 1km - 2km or more than 2km from where I am staying...

Also, no parent volunteer scheme for De La Salle Pri...last couple of years balloting in phase 2B...heard from a neighbour who went to make enquires about enrollment for her kids...first question asked by them is "Are you a Catholic or Christian?"....gives me impression that religion do play a part in gaining admission (sorry to all Christian and Catholic bros / sis here...pls do not flame me)...

Haiz..

Hi Kklee

Yah...my sentiments exactly...provided MOE does not change its admission criteria...this is one gift that is passed down from generation to generation...really a gift of inheritance!!

Hi Hiphiphoray

Yup...this is definitely an issue...with all pri schs moving to single session...and sch facilities have to be expanded to maintain intake number of students (but upgrading works takes time to complete)...PV is getting tougher and more competitive...worse is when completed PV...during P1 registration you receive a call to come for balloting...or worse when an unexpected number of grassroot leaders throw in their application they will be placed ahead of parent volunteers in phase 2B...and if balloting happens even for those staying within 1km...if u happen to stay further than 1km...u will receive a call from the sch asking you to perhaps seriously consider giving up your application as it most likely will be unsuccessful....

Imagine that to happen when you have clocked your 40 hrs of service...then everything comes to zero....

↡ Advertisement