Audi Q5

Leepee

Neutral Newbie

it's dropped back to more sane levels?

More sane for PA pricing ? A friend told me back in Jan 2010, his colleague got it from PA with full options (not sure what's inside) for about $190k leh.

↡ Advertisement

Hihi, any advice for getting a pre-owned 2014/2015 used Q5 quattro 2.0 model for short term drive? 

MU replacement? Engine oil consumption? DSG reliability? 

All advice are appreciated, thank u

15 hours ago, oleoleole said:

Hihi, any advice for getting a pre-owned 2014/2015 used Q5 quattro 2.0 model for short term drive? 

I don't think the model you're looking at uses DSG, it should be the ZF 8 speed which are fairly robust. The unreliable DSG are mainly the 7 speed dry clutch. Best if you can bring the car for inspection and/or test drive.

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, oleoleole said:

you can't really gauge oil consumption with a short drive. If you kena one with really bad oil consumption, you may need an overhaul of the engine. Of course if you think you are only driving for 6mths - 1 year, you can just top up engine oil every week. But do note that lots of oil if is leaking into combustion chamber and being burnt, it will eventually destroy the cat convertor... then you can't pass inspection without a hugely expensive cat replacement.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi, first time posting

I just took the keys from Premium Auto for a new 2021 Q5 last monday (21/11) and faced the following issues:
1. No network coverage (cant use navigation or register key user etc)
2. Bluetooth and WIFI not working. Cannot connect phone to play audio, use carplay or make phone calls. In the MMI, bluetooth is permanently disabled and unable to be set to "visible"
3. Connecting iPhone via cable also does not work - phone is detected in the MMI but it is constantly stuck on "loading"
4. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed that the brake pedal started doing a "clunking" sound when releasing the pedal.

The car has been at the service center for 3 days. The SA just updated me and said the control module needs to be replaced, but there is no stock and he is not sure when he can get it. Even then, this will only fix the data/navigation issues and he is not sure if it will fix the bluetooth and wifi issues. It wouldn't be half as bad if I can still connect my phone to the MMI to use carplay to take calls, but nothing on the MMI works except the radio. 

I am more or less resigned to the fact that PA sold me a faulty car and would like to seek advice on what can I do in this situation. They've provided me with a courtesy car (A4) while the Q5 is in the service center, and this was after I sent an (somewhat angry) email to their customer service (they initially only scheduled me for a 12/12 check which was 3 weeks after collection).

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, jtjt8812 said:

Hi, first time posting

I just took the keys from Premium Auto for a new 2021 Q5 last monday (21/11) and faced the following issues:
2. Bluetooth and WIFI not working. Cannot connect phone to play audio, use carplay or make phone calls. In the MMI, bluetooth is permanently disabled and unable to be set to "visible"
3. Connecting iPhone via cable also does not work - phone is detected in the MMI but it is constantly stuck on "loading"
4. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed that the brake pedal started doing a "clunking" sound when releasing the pedal.

The car has been at the service center for 3 days. The SA just updated me and said the control module needs to be replaced, but there is no stock and he is not sure when he can get it. Even then, this will only fix the data/navigation issues and he is not sure if it will fix the bluetooth and wifi issues. It wouldn't be half as bad if I can still connect my phone to the MMI to use carplay to take calls, but nothing on the MMI works except the radio. 

I am more or less resigned to the fact that PA sold me a faulty car and would like to seek advice on what can I do in this situation. They've provided me with a courtesy car (A4) while the Q5 is in the service center, and this was after I sent an (somewhat angry) email to their customer service (they initially only scheduled me for a 12/12 check which was 3 weeks after collection).

Not serious enough to qualify for lemon law if you are thinking of 7day 1-to-1 exchange https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=495&CT=a

The right route is to let AD keep on fixing it, and note they never promise you an SLA on how long they need to fix your car.

If you are getting courtesy car, I think you already fairly lucky.

I don't want to be unfair to VAG cars, but your case is not the first time I hear of "imperfections" when picking up brand new Audi. But I imagine at least 90% don't get such problems... you a bit suay

Neutral Newbie

@t0y0ta Yes, before this I was driving a 2020 Q3 (bought new from PA as well) for 2 years without any issues. The fact that I traded that car in and topped up > $100k to get the new Q5 with all these problems is regrettable. Who could have expected all these very basic problems to occur in a new car? It always baffles me how larger companies can get away with such stuff.

It would have been ok (or rather, I could have been more patient) if I could at least take calls in the MMI but as mentioned, nothing in the MMI works except the radio.

Neutral Newbie
17 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

If you are getting courtesy car, I think you already fairly lucky.

Really? I'm not experienced in these kind of things (I have never dealt with dealer on these kind of issues before), but I would have expected a premium (conti?) dealer to at least provide a comparable courtesy car if they sold a brand new car that is faulty.

@jtjt8812 you are right to think a replacement of a comparable courtesy car.  However, sometimes it depends on availability.  Your case sounds quite unlucky as the infotainment system in the Q5 is not something new and had existed for many years.

Many years ago, my Citroen C4 Picasso broke down within a year of ownership, they got me a C5 as replacement car for about 1 week.  6 months later, I got myself a new C5... 😊

My friend bought a less than 1 year old Q5 sportsline (management car?) from Premium recently and the air con was not working.  The car spent about 1 week in the workshop...  

Neutral Newbie

@Fat_slayer Thanks for the info. I mean, stuff happens but IMO how the dealer handles the aftersales issues is what makes or breaks the brand. It sounds unbelievable that on the same week that I collect a brand new car, there are issues and then I have to send it in and be without a car again.

Anyway, after one more angry email this morning, the SA just updated to say that they will change the "emergency call control unit" tomorrow and test it. For the brake clunking sound, initially he said the brakes were just not worn in so they applied more lube, but now he updated to say that they are changing the brake servo pump to resolve this issue (I read about this issue in other forums but I didn't bring it up to them cos I wanna see what they say). So many issues for a new car ☠️ Hopeful to get the car back early next week.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, jtjt8812 said:

@Fat_slayer Thanks for the info. I mean, stuff happens but IMO how the dealer handles the aftersales issues is what makes or breaks the brand. It sounds unbelievable that on the same week that I collect a brand new car, there are issues and then I have to send it in and be without a car again.

Anyway, after one more angry email this morning, the SA just updated to say that they will change the "emergency call control unit" tomorrow and test it. For the brake clunking sound, initially he said the brakes were just not worn in so they applied more lube, but now he updated to say that they are changing the brake servo pump to resolve this issue (I read about this issue in other forums but I didn't bring it up to them cos I wanna see what they say). So many issues for a new car ☠️ Hopeful to get the car back early next week.

Oh my, I’m considering the Q5 too alongside BMW X3. Hope your issues are resolved soon. 

5 hours ago, jtjt8812 said:

Hi, first time posting

Think u better practice your buddha palm then go there whack the tables..

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, jtjt8812 said:

Really? I'm not experienced in these kind of things (I have never dealt with dealer on these kind of issues before), but I would have expected a premium (conti?) dealer to at least provide a comparable courtesy car if they sold a brand new car that is faulty.

My personal experience with  PML (BMW) and C&C (Merc) is not much better.

Usually for warranty issues, even if your car is needed to be in the workshop for a week or so, no courtesy car would be offered automatically unless u ask for it.

I did, and i got mine. There was once PML does not have a courtesy car available, so I told them to call me when it is available. But again that's only because my car is not having critical/safety fault that needs to be fixed.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, jtjt8812 said:

It also depends alot on the service advisor. Some are really competent and customer oriented, some just have the "do the minimum" attitude. Seen a good mix of such in premium dealers and non premium dealers.

I hope your Q5 gets fixed soon, just don't place too much expectations on the AD, premium or not, they're all the same.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

@jtjt8812 oh goodness seeing your post scares me. I was just considering making the upgrade to the Q5 as well and it’s also old warehouse stocks from 2021. Now I’m having second thoughts, were you just one of the rare unlucky cases or were these units defective to begin with and now being gotten rid of? 

Wonder if I should take the risk or just go with the new X1 instead…

Neutral Newbie

@iygnim I think just unlucky. I don't think they would have purposely sold a defective item, though I feel like their customer service could have been better in trying to rectify this situation.

Anyway, it's a nice car to drive. The car price in todays COE seems very good too. They're bringing in a lower hp one (40 TSFI vs 45) which is already on their website and price list and that one they added the 360 cam and parking assist. But I doubt it'll be sold at the current sale price (249k) and is currently indent only.

Neutral Newbie

@jtjt8812 yeah I was quite prepared to take the offer until I saw your post. The price is indeed good for the category but it’s still a huge expense nonetheless and nobody wants to receive a defective item at this price point. 

oooh tbh I would be satisfied with the 40 TFSI since I wouldn’t be able to utilise the added horsepower frequently anyway, might as well save some petrol. But unfortunately it’s not ready now and the offer is just not as good, though those added features would have been nice. 

may I ask what colour q5 you got and were the specs as what is on the audisale website? So no driving/parking assist, 18” wheels, and pretty basic stuff all around? Did you manage to squeeze any additional freebies or was it just the standard warranty/servicing/recording cam stuff?

Neutral Newbie

@iygnim I got mine before the current sale at 7k cheaper. Bare bones price without the freebies (solar film and camera) and 3 year servicing they are giving at this current fair. 

Specs are as per the website. No 360 cam (which I loved on my Q3) and no parking assist. But if having no 360cam is 15-20k cheaper, I'd gladly pick the no 360cam options, which is why I didn't go for the Sportback.

I would have taken the 40 TSFI too if it was available at this current price but I doubt it. IIRC the price they are selling the Q5 now is the price when I bought my Q3 2 years ago when the COE was 40k. So when my friend told me about it on a Monday, I made the purchase by Wednesday before COE bidding. A rash decision actually. 

Anyway, latest update is that I should be getting the car back on Monday. Hopefully everything works if not need to flip table. Would be nice if they gave some goodwill for all this inconvenience. If I was prepared for such inconvenience, I would have bought a second hand car.

↡ Advertisement