Ultrasonic electronic mosquito repellent. does it work?

Fantasy

Neutral Newbie

saw some ultrasonic electronic mosquito repellent at homefix. looks like a good idea but does this device work? anyone tried them? seems made in UK so wondering if it works for local mosquito. thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Trust me. It doesn't work.

Unless you're thinking of using it in a very mild setting like an aircon room then it might work or be a placebo effect.

SAF insect repellent work wonders but it attracts bees. Certain chemicals whose name elude me has an effect in deterring them too. So does mosquito coils.

Mozzies hunt you through your carbon dioxide and heat emissions which explains why they seem to annoy you so much when you're perspiring as opposed to when you're calm.

Certain measures seeks to repel them literally while others like smoke serves to dis-orientate them I believe.

Edited by Iisterry

saw some ultrasonic electronic mosquito repellent at homefix. looks like a good idea but does this device work? anyone tried them? seems made in UK so wondering if it works for local mosquito. thanks.

I tried it, works pretty well. On rare occassions I have hapless ants or tiny cockroaches that find their way into my house, and they would get all confused and wander slugggishly in circles, which makes them easy to catch.

In the past we have some big cockraches and serious ants infestations as my neighbours are not so fussy about hygiene, and sometimes their pest would find their way into my home. So the devices pretty much drive these pest away from me. As for mosquitoes, forgot how one looks like already.

If you want to buy, buy something more high end which emits variable high pitch tones, the cheaper version only have one tone, and over time, these pests adapt and ignore the "noise". Also you'll need at least two, to be placed at usual breach points in the house (for me it's kitchen window and near the main door). That's because these high pitch noise cannot pass through walls.

Neutral Newbie

cool. seems worth the investment. thanks for sharing.

I tried it, works pretty well. On rare occassions I have hapless ants or tiny cockroaches that find their way into my house, and they would get all confused and wander slugggishly in circles, which makes them easy to catch.

In the past we have some big cockraches and serious ants infestations as my neighbours are not so fussy about hygiene, and sometimes their pest would find their way into my home. So the devices pretty much drive these pest away from me. As for mosquitoes, forgot how one looks like already.

If you want to buy, buy something more high end which emits variable high pitch tones, the cheaper version only have one tone, and over time, these pests adapt and ignore the "noise". Also you'll need at least two, to be placed at usual breach points in the house (for me it's kitchen window and near the main door). That's because these high pitch noise cannot pass through walls.

Neutral Newbie

thanks for sharing too!

Trust me. It doesn't work.

Unless you're thinking of using it in a very mild setting like an aircon room then it might work or be a placebo effect.

SAF insect repellent work wonders but it attracts bees. Certain chemicals whose name elude me has an effect in deterring them too. So does mosquito coils.

Mozzies hunt you through your carbon dioxide and heat emissions which explains why they seem to annoy you so much when you're perspiring as opposed to when you're calm.

Certain measures seeks to repel them literally while others like smoke serves to dis-orientate them I believe.

You might want to do some research first. I've field tested every single odorless & noiseless mosquito repelling contraption.

http://www.walterreeves.com/insects_animal...t=21&id=422

http://www.westnile.state.pa.us/action/myths.htm

http://www.mosquitoworld.net/mosquitomyths.php

Electronic mosquito repellers work. Researchers have consistently found that these devices have absolutely no effect on mosquitoes at all. They don't repel, attract or in any way change mosquito behavior or effect the number in a given area.

Ultrasonic Devices

Hand-held electronic devices that rely on high frequency sound to repel mosquitoes have become surprisingly popular. Some claim to mimic the wing beat frequency of a male mosquito. Others claim they mimic the sound of a dragonfly, causing mosquitoes to flee the area to avoid becoming the predator's next meal.

Most of the ultrasonic devices on the market hum on a single frequency. Scientific studies have repeatedly shown that electronic mosquito repellers do not prevent host seeking mosquitoes from biting. Mated females mosquitoes do not flee from infatuated males, and mosquitoes do not vacate an area hunted by dragonflies. Ultrasonic repellers do little in the way of reducing mosquito annoyance.

I believe there are devices that mimic a mammal's profile and attempt to lure & trap the mozzies. Those should work better than some device that spouts scientific mumbo jumbo claiming to release ultrasonic frequencies that can shoot out pulses of ultraviolet to blind and send mozzies crashing to their death. [laugh]

Owner's of ultrasonic devices might very well be experiencing a placebo effect. Try catching a mosquito and experiment with its discomfort to the proximity.

• Praise 1

I am uncomfortable using such device as I am not sure if these frequencies will have long term health effect on human if it is strong enough to deter insects. Ants are easily to deal with, whilst roaches, you need more efforts.

I am uncomfortable using such device as I am not sure if these frequencies will have long term health effect on human if it is strong enough to deter insects. Ants are easily to deal with, whilst roaches, you need more efforts.

I also wonder if these device would have side effect on human health if use long term, esp to the ears?

Turbocharged

Recently over the last few weeks, have you also seen a rise in the number of mosquitoes?

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

In my opinion, this is a hot topic, because the use of ultrasonic devices to repel insects is widespread in society. But not all scientists agree with the effectiveness of this method. Yet you can visit this site  

Edited by Simeon89

Supersonic
(edited)

Finally decide to get a DIY magnetic mosquito mesh to try out.

The window on the right has a mesh. The left one doesn't not have.

post-84721-0-03550700-1558762621_thumb.jpg

post-84721-0-60637000-1558763003_thumb.jpg

post-84721-0-62219500-1558763068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

Finally decide to get a DIY magnetic mosquito mesh to try out.

The window on the right has a mesh. The left one doesn't not have.

Care to share where to get the materials?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Care to share where to get the materials?

PMed. I didnt really compare price, pricing seems quite standard out there, there are taobao version but those are using velcro, not magnet.
  • Praise 1

Some years I use this thing. And how many nerves I saved. Of course, the scarer has recouped all costs. I recommend reading the electronic ultrasonic mosquito repellers guide in google.

I hear Ultrasonic electronic mosquito repellent doesn't work.

This is entirely based on what I heard lah.

:grin:

Edited by Jamesc

It doesn't work. It probably makes it worse because I observed the mosquitoes fly more erratically with the frequency and become harder to hit by hand.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4