Where to buy cheap/good kids bike

Kianbeng

Hi all,

Recently researching on kids bike - planning to get another one as my kids outgrown the smaller 12" bike. Maybe 16" bike is the next step.

Checked out a few hypermart and small bike shops and realised that kids bike can cost more than small MTB and the quality is damn bad. ie, 16" kids bike at $80+ but a small mountain bike is having promo at $79.90 and of course the parts of the MTB such as V Brakes are much better than the plasticky and stiff brakes on the 16" bike.

I remembered when I was young, my small bike quite good quality but seems like nowadays it's impossible to find such bikes anymore, even if that means paying much more than those small MTB. Feel like buying the small MTB but too big for my kids lah. Also feel kinda wasted that few years ago I threw away my old dia-compe alloy brakes. Should have kept them and install on my kids bike.

Any advise? I'm sure there'ld be fathers here who went thru exactly the same process?

↡ Advertisement

Maybe you can try the bikeshop next to sembawang shopping center name Cheap John....tell him your budget and he will lead you to choose....friendly guy [thumbsup] but parking is a problem there [thumbsdown]

Hi all,

Recently researching on kids bike - planning to get another one as my kids outgrown the smaller 12" bike. Maybe 16" bike is the next step.

Checked out a few hypermart and small bike shops and realised that kids bike can cost more than small MTB and the quality is damn bad. ie, 16" kids bike at $80+ but a small mountain bike is having promo at $79.90 and of course the parts of the MTB such as V Brakes are much better than the plasticky and stiff brakes on the 16" bike.

I remembered when I was young, my small bike quite good quality but seems like nowadays it's impossible to find such bikes anymore, even if that means paying much more than those small MTB. Feel like buying the small MTB but too big for my kids lah. Also feel kinda wasted that few years ago I threw away my old dia-compe alloy brakes. Should have kept them and install on my kids bike.

Any advise? I'm sure there'ld be fathers here who went thru exactly the same process?

Hi Bro,

Found this shop located @ Ubi, u can try it their webby:

http://www.wimcyclesg.com

Kids will one day outgrow the bike. So I don't feel like spending too much on a kids bike.. When my son finally progress to 12", I went to ebay to look for 2nd hand, and got BMX style bike for $20. Condition is old, but still is rideable with everything working..So if you don't feel like spending too much on a kids bike, take a look at 2nd hand.

Maybe you can try the bikeshop next to sembawang shopping center name Cheap John....tell him your budget and he will lead you to choose....friendly guy [thumbsup] but parking is a problem there [thumbsdown]

Cheap John I thought not so cheap afterall [sweatdrop] hahaa....

Hi Bro,

Found this shop located @ Ubi, u can try it their webby:

http://www.wimcyclesg.com

Wow me never heard of this shop. See their MTB quite cheap! Bikes with front disc brakes starts from $200+ onwards....but body frame not sure good or not.

But anyway I'm supposed to be looking for children bikes and most of their children bikes are >$100. Which is around the price range I saw in ToysRus also...ToysRus bikes very solid in quality but also pricey.

I don't feel like spending too much because so far all the kids bike...seems expensive and low quality. I don't mind spending more to get a good + lasting bike cos I got 3 kids and can "hand me down" from eldest to youngest. From my past experience with buying the kids bike, very fast it'll rust and hardly last >1-2years.

Went through that thought process 1 year ago.

Decided to go for a 16 inch folding bike instead. Logic being that from 16" to 26", is a very short period as kids grow fast during that period. Folding is highly adjustable, so can use for a long time, until adult. Got a branded folding one, just have to make sure the design allows the kid to reach the handle bars now, as some folding bike kinda long.

Aleoca got some latest folding design copied from other branded folding brands. But Aleoca mechanisms like brakes quite flimsy looking.

[thumbsup] go to tiong hin

BLOCK 108, HOUGANG AVE 1, #01-1293, SINGAPORE 530108 tel: 6280 0416

i bought my bike from them since i was a kid till now

Impress us a little leh..... How old are you now?? [laugh]

I don't feel like spending too much because so far all the kids bike...seems expensive and low quality. I don't mind spending more to get a good + lasting bike cos I got 3 kids and can "hand me down" from eldest to youngest. From my past experience with buying the kids bike, very fast it'll rust and hardly last >1-2years.

You right on the rust part. The $20 bike has rust ont he frame. I clean it up, and cover with stickers as I foresee I'll be upgrading to 16" soon for him, in less then one year. Guess you have to get aluminum frame if rust is your concern.

Hmm I know the tiong hin from my MTB cycling. His shop don't have much kids bikes, mostly pro stuff. His stuff are mostly cheap but the problem with him is his attitude. In my group of cyclist, we know his as bad attitude but cheap. Sometimes he see the brand of your bike before he change his attitude.

how much you paid for your folding bike? Prices start from $99 to $300+ I roughly noted. So I guess the quality differs alot. I wonder with these foldable bikes, will they last....?

Hmm I know the tiong hin from my MTB cycling. His shop don't have much kids bikes, mostly pro stuff. His stuff are mostly cheap but the problem with him is his attitude. In my group of cyclist, we know his as bad attitude but cheap. Sometimes he see the brand of your bike before he change his attitude.

[shocked] really..........

tot i saw plently of kiddy bikes as well

↡ Advertisement