Does rocking/shaking your car allow you to pump more petrol?

Skateboard

i was able to pump 9 extra lnto my car last week but not able to do it today

i thinking very hard how come and why

↡ Advertisement

For my Carens, on the first tick, I would have missed out 12~13 Litres for my 60L rated tank lor.

I would continue to slow fill 6L for about 2~3 mins.  

Then another 6L rocking.

All in all 10mins for this 12L.  

but today i try cannot pump extra 10l...haiz..sian

Wait a minutes, you driving Carens ?

Different car different characteristics lor.

And NOT every car can fill to the brim lor.

See below for more info.

but today i try cannot pump extra 10l...haiz..sian

OK.  After more than 10 years experience in rocking car to fill the extra miles in JB.

I am a SELF Qualified Subject of Matter in Rocking/Shaking Car for the Extra Fill.

a) Check if your car fuel system is a RETURNLESS fuel system. Simi.  The fuel flow from tank to injectors ONLY.  No fuel is returned to tank.  Hence a RETURNLESS Fuel System.  If yes, you can fill to the brim lor.  If not, avoid, your fuel tank could leak or over pressure valve blow lor. Most newer car is returnless one - Some Vapour emission control in EU and US lor.

b) Fill to the brim once from empty WITHOUT rocking. And if you managed to fill to the rate capacity or a few L over capacity, then you don't need to rock it lor.  You are OK.  The spec rated capacity is usually the capacity that DO NOT include spare fuel lor.  Both Toyota and Kia like that spec one.  My previous Carens, got at least 7 L spare tank lor.  

Diesel, not need to rock liao, it just go in lor, NOT sure is tank design or fuel lor.

Very sad, I 1 YEAR NEVER rock car liao, very very sad.

• Praise 1

Most fuel nozzles have two flow settings. Avoid fuelling on the faster of the two settings and you reduce air bubbles in the fuel tank. Whether you rock the car or not, the bubbles will eventually find their way out the filler neck - but less will be introduced on the slower flow. 

Turbocharged

Most fuel nozzles have two flow settings. Avoid fuelling on the faster of the two settings and you reduce air bubbles in the fuel tank. Whether you rock the car or not, the bubbles will eventually find their way out the filler neck - but less will be introduced on the slower flow.

Like u pour beer. Slowly let the beer flow into the glass vs pour like that. Less bubbles

Petrol got no Bubbles,only "Old" Formula Diesel have...Rocking the Car is let the "pockets" on top of the Tank to fill up,nothing do with Bubbles.

Edited by ER-3682

Basically this method may gain you a few more litres but it really looks uncool. What you can do is when the petrol gun stops pumping, pull it out a bit and slowly pump (it will take longer than shaking your car) but this method allows me to travel at least 50km more. :D