Does rocking/shaking your car allow you to pump more petrol?

Skateboard

This shaking and rolling behaviour stems from Singaporean's passion for buffet......

must make sure you fill your stomach up to the point just before you puke....or else not getting your money's worth...

maxresdefault.jpg

gluttony.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Wait wait wait ....... This one is China people leh.  I hardly heard of SG people doing that lor  Except Uncle and Auntie attending UOB AGM lor.  Like Hungry Ghost Festival (HGF) all over again. Tabao somemore.

Frankly, I have not gone to buffet for all long long time. 

As for China people and shrimp ...... it is a true story.  Our company ever got buffet lunch lor, the china manager, eat like that lor.

Kind of scary, he took the whole tray. 

There is no shrimp in china ?

This shaking and rolling behaviour stems from Singaporean's passion for buffet......

must make sure you fill your stomach up to the point just before you puke....or else not getting your money's worth...

maxresdefault.jpg

gluttony.jpeg

Wait wait wait ....... This one is China people leh.  I hardly heard of SG people doing that lor  Except Uncle and Auntie attending UOB AGM lor.  Like Hungry Ghost Festival (HGF) all over again. Tabao somemore.

As for China people and shrimp ...... it is a true story.  Our company ever got buffet lunch lor, the china manager, eat like that lor.

Don't need to repackage and try to glamorize what you are doing lah. If its good for you then just be happy things are working your way. People can also ask "there is no petrol kiosk in Singapore?"

Also when you see a long queue at the kiosk don't hump the car so much cos other people also need to fill their tanks.

Aiya, while there is always room for improvement, we are quite OK already.

Don't need to repackage and try to glamorize what you are doing lah. If its good for you then just be happy things are working your way. People can also ask "there is no petrol kiosk in Singapore?"

Also when you see a long queue at the kiosk don't hump the car so much cos other people also need to fill their tanks.

How can it be that shaking a car can fill in more petrol ? If so then there will be people jumping up and down at buffet to be able to eat more. Lol.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

They are trying to get their money's worth? Pay already, must eat as much as possible. Choose the most expensive item in the buffet spread and keep gorging themselves on it.

Just like those who drive in to JB and pump lo. Drive all the way in to pump already. Must pump as much as possible. Even if it means humping the car. No difference.

Btw, this buffet thing, Singaporeans also very good at it. I was at MBS having a buffet last week and there were a few Singaporean families who behaved similarly. Stacked their plates high with the crab, prawns and oysters. Ask the children to grab as much chocolates as they can and tabao in their bag. They had this dessert section with the hershey kisses. 

How can it be that shaking a car can fill in more petrol ? If so then there will be people jumping up and down at buffet to be able to eat more. Lol.

Some people eat buffet halfway, go toilet and clear their stomach before continuing.

It was worth it, as long as you stayed within 20km of woodlands checkpoint.

Then came toll increase in 2014 and followed by ever increasing traffic jam at checkpoints, then not so worth it anymore.

Sorry but I could never fathom the hassle of going to JB to pump petrol, let alone rocking the car. The savings to effort/time just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe perhaps one day I will if I live like 5mins away from the nearest pump in JB.

The moral of the story here is this:

If you decide that rocking and shaking your car to squeeze the last ounce of cheap petrol into it is totally justified and nothing to be shamed of, just do not go defensive and come up with all sorts of justifications for your action.

If you have no problem shaking and rocking your car in wide open public space of a petrol station, the pictures and videos of your antics are fair game for anyone else who feels that it is shameful.

If you feel shamed by others posting or commenting on your behaviour, obviously someone has been ownself bluff ownself when it comes to justifying your own kiasu/greedy ways.

• Praise 5

Power leh! I don't even dare to rock. I'll just try to top to the brim. On and off let the air out(car will burp), then I continue to pump. Until it no longer burp and fuel going to flow out, then I stop. I think this way already damn a lot of fuel.

how you let the air out of your car?

hmm... no matter how you shake and rock the car, if the tank is 45 liters, the max you can squeeze is 45 liters. no?

ain't gonna be able to put 50 liters into a 45 liter tank loh

• Praise 2

I don't know why I even bother.... but here goes:

3.2  Losses from the refuelling of vehicles

Refuelling emissions occur when vapour from the headspace of a vehicle fuel tank is displaced by the liquid gasoline that is dispensed into the fuel tank. The volume of displaced vapour during the refuelling operations is equal to the volume of gasoline dispensed into the vehicle fuel tank, plus the entrapped droplets of liquid fuel as a result of splashing and turbulence during filling which are subsequently released as vapour. The quantity of displaced vapours depends on the temperature of gasoline in the vehicle fuel tank, temperature of dispensed gasoline, gasoline Reid vapour pressure (RVP), and the dispensed volume of gasoline. The volume of vapour released during refuelling also depends on the vapour recovery method used. In the USA, many dispensers at retail gasoline outlets incorporate vacuum-based nozzles as a vapour recovery method. In the USA they also rely on the on-board vapour recovery (OBVR) system installed inside vehicles. In Canada, only the latter has been applied as the vapour recovery system during vehicle refuelling. 24  In fact, the combined use of the two methods could defeat the purpose since the former method counters the effectiveness of the latter. 25  In Canada, OBVRs have been installed in all newly manufactured vehicles since 1998. OBVRs are up to 98% efficient in capturing evaporative losses during a refuelling operation. 26  However, to account for operational and efficiency degradation of the OBVR systems, a recovery efficiency range of 90±5% was set for OBVRs for use in calculating the estimates reported here.

For evaporative loss estimates, a percentage of OBVR penetration based on the age of Canadian vehicles was used. Based on data from Environment Canada, 27  this percentage was estimated at 70±5% for the year 2009.

Evaporative losses due to the refuelling of vehicles are estimated based on a USEPA model described in Appendix I.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/16-001-m/2012015/part-partie1-eng.htm

How sure are these rockers and shakers who spend up to 30mins trying to squeeze the last drop into their tank are not inadvertant suckers?

With the safety feature of vapour recovery system for each nozzle, how much of the "pumped" and paid petrol is being recycled back into the kiosk storage tank?

• Praise 6

hmm... no matter how you shake and rock the car, if the tank is 45 liters, the max you can squeeze is 45 liters. no?

ain't gonna be able to put 50 liters into a 45 liter tank loh

Shaking and Rocking does increase the size of "certain things" but surely not fuel tank size.

• Praise 2

how you let the air out of your car?

Just go slow on the pump. Until it click, remove the nozzle. Let the petrol gush out from the relieve mechanism. Then top up again, let the petrol gush out from the relieve mechanism again. Repeated do it until no more petrol gush and the petrol slowly fill up to the brim, then it is considered full.

• Praise 2

I thought the shaking and rocking is to let the air escape as the tank gets filled? Engineers cannot drill a second hole on the tank to let the air escape faster becoz of the petrol vapour. So the tank gets filled and air escaping all on the same point of entry.

Yes, the trick is to fill the tank slow to make full use of the tank's capacity.

I thought the shaking and rocking is to let the air escape as the tank gets filled? Engineers cannot drill a second hole on the tank to let the air escape faster becoz of the petrol vapour. So the tank gets filled and air escaping all on the same point of entry.

Yes, the trick is to fill the tank slow to make full use of the tank's capacity.

well, for my car, i know the max cap is 45 liters

so, as long as the meter on the pump says 45 liters, that is the max i will go.

no matter how much you shake, or rock, the car, the most you can squeeze in is another liter or two. (granted that you die die must fill that hose that leads to the tank as well.

what for?

not like squeeze liow the petrol is free.

2 liters, worse case is 6 KM, best case is about 30KM?

singapore is dotted with shitloads of pump stations. if you have to drive till bone dry to get to the next fillup, then that driver is an IDIOT!

even on the NSHW, about every 200KM, you can find a rest stop with petrol stations.

even a lorry guzzler that i used to drive, i managed to keep going all the way from SG to the border of hat chai without having to worry about running out.

So why need to shake and rock the car? it ain't gonna get a high or reach orgasm you know.  [laugh]

Edited by Ahgong

Just go slow on the pump. Until it click, remove the nozzle. Let the petrol gush out from the relieve mechanism. Then top up again, let the petrol gush out from the relieve mechanism again. Repeated do it until no more petrol gush and the petrol slowly fill up to the brim, then it is considered full.

I don't know about most people but this is what i practice :grin:

Normally the next guy will be waiting impatiently but heck

Me going to get my money's worth

:XD:

Edited by Mustank

I don't know about most people but this is what i practice :grin:

Normally the next guy will be waiting impatiently but heck

Me going to get my money's worth

:XD:

yup, so do I....:)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1