Which maps combination to use? -new Garmin GPS user

Buzzzz

hi bros,

sorry if this topic was surfaced before, as i can't find them.

Just bought the new garmin 255W GPS and was confused by the map inside.

Map Info inside GPS

1) MFM - Garmin 091012

2) MFM POI 091012

3) SLA Authority V2 / EastGear Plte Ltd

4) Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2009.30

5) City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2009.30

Anyone can help advise or brief on the map info stated above and which map or combination should I use?

thanks and appreciate the help.

↡ Advertisement

I use (1). Current latest version is 100412 which i believe stands for 12Apr2010, meaning updated just 6 days ago. Go malfreemaps.com to download... free.

Neutral Newbie

somehow u got to include the POI thingie, else no POI if using MFM or SLA... iirc

MFM include the POI already.

and

3) SLA Authority V2 / EastGear Plte Ltd is a combination of MFM and Singapore Address and Postal codes

so MFM and SLA both have the POI.

MFM include the POI already.

and

3) SLA Authority V2 / EastGear Plte Ltd is a combination of MFM and Singapore Address and Postal codes

so MFM and SLA both have the POI.

When I power on the system->->map, I can see all the maps in the following order: 1)MFM Map, 2)MFM POI, 3) MSM 4)City Navigator map.

Do I need to enable all maps or check only the map that I want to use?

What is the implications if I enable all maps?

If all maps are checked, which map will be used first, is it MFM?

Neutral Newbie

When I power on the system->->map, I can see all the maps in the following order: 1)MFM Map, 2)MFM POI, 3) MSM 4)City Navigator map.

Do I need to enable all maps or check only the map that I want to use?

What is the implications if I enable all maps?

If all maps are checked, which map will be used first, is it MFM?

Enable all the maps may cause lag or error, because the overlap each other. you can choose 1)+2) or 3) or 4), then you will know which one is the best for you.

hi bros,

Map Info inside GPS

1) MFM - Garmin 091012

2) MFM POI 091012

Anyone can help advise or brief on the map info stated above and which map or combination should I use?

All your maps - 1, 2, 4 & 5 are out-of-date. The are already new maps available at the respective websites.

For no. 1 and 2, these are free third party map from malfreemaps and their new versions are released every Monday. Go to the download section of www.malfreemaps.com to update your maps.

No. 3 - SLA Authority is actually not a map but a file containing almost all the postal codes of Singapore. No. 3 is to be checked with no. 1 and 2 in order to use it. Please do not combine the use of 3 and 4 or 3 and 5 as it might cause errors during navigation and the JCV might not show up.

No. 4 - The Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2009.30 is actually from a free map from malsingmaps, another 3rd party map creator. The map, though from MSM, is compiled by Garmin using Garmin compiler and it comes with Junction View and Lane Assist. For this map, you have free unlimited download whenever there are new versions released. Visit www.malsingmaps.com for links to download the latest version.

N. 5 - City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT map is actually the official map of Garmin and is not free. Those who do not have this map will have to pay for it if they want to install it in their device. However, please note that this map is not as detailed as the free MFM and MSM maps and the update to the map is not very frequent. Those who buy a new device bundled with this map is entitled to 2 new map update, if I remember correctly, afterwhich further updates are chargeable.

Remember, please check only one map whenever you use your device for navigation or searching for POIs otherwise there might be errors during navigation or search.

hi bros,

Map Info inside GPS

1) MFM - Garmin 091012

2) MFM POI 091012

As for No 1, will MFM include junction view for Garmin version?

As for No 1, will MFM include junction view for Garmin version?

MFM map do not have Junction View (JCV) and Lane Assist (LA). Only the official Garmin CN map and also the Malsingmaps NT map (compiled by Garmin) have JCV and LA.

Hi Redstorm, you seemed very knowledgeable in Garmin. May I know how to update the maps when the 255W says not enough space? [confused]

Which map did u try to update? From what I know there seems to be some issue regarding space constraints in some Garmin models where the internal memory is insufficient to install the every growing size of the MSM NT map because of the JCV file as more and more pictures of junctions are added in. One way to overcome this problem is to install the MSM NT map in a SD card instead of in your internal memory. In order for the MSM NT map in your card to work, you gotta change the name of the map and unlock code files from gmapprom1.img and gmapprom1.unl to gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl respectively.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Redstorm

I bought my garmin 205 from Navicom last year and the only map installed is City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2008.09, which is chargable for every update.

May I know how to change the map to MFM or MSM?

I try by replacing the .img file in gps with the .img file in MSM but it cannot work.

Edited by Brchen

Hi Redstorm

I bought my garmin 205 from Navicom last year and the only map installed is City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2008.09, which is chargable for every update.

May I know how to change the map to MFM or MSM?

I try by replacing the .img file in gps with the .img file in MSM but it cannot work.

You don't have to change the CN map. Just leave it alone in the main memory. Since yours is a 205 which does not have the JCV and Lane Assist features, for MSM, just go to this link to download the latest MSM ver4.22. You just need to unzip it and copy and paste the file (gmapsupp.img) into the Garmin folder in your SD card. If you don't have the Garmin folder, just create one. As for the MFM map, go to this link. Once download, just run the installer which will guide you thru the map installation. For the MSM map, if you are not able to access the site, you probably need to register as a member first before you could download the map. Hope this helps. Don't forget to shout if you still have problem :D

Edited by Redstorm

Turbocharged

You don't have to change the CN map. Just leave it alone in the main memory. Since yours is a 205 which does not have the JCV and Lane Assist features, for MSM, just go to this link to download the latest MSM ver4.22. You just need to unzip it and copy and paste the file (gmapsupp.img) into the Garmin folder in your SD card. If you don't have the Garmin folder, just create one. As for the MFM map, go to this link. Once download, just run the installer which will guide you thru the map installation. For the MSM map, if you are not able to access the site, you probably need to register as a member first before you could download the map. Hope this helps. Don't forget to shout if you still have problem :D

just to add on, the map file .gmapsupp must be in a folder "Garmin" if not it wont works. alot of people having problem due to this.

↡ Advertisement