Which maps combination to use? -new Garmin GPS user

Buzzzz

Neutral Newbie

How do you guys search for a location in Garmin device? Is there a quick and easy way to search for a location, beside postal code? I'm using a old 205 series and keyboard is the small & not qwerty type

comparing to papago's predictive search engine, garmin is worse.

↡ Advertisement

comparing to papago's predictive search engine, garmin is worse.

agree, the predictive search in Papago beats Garmin. In garmin, need to select the category, which if wrong category was selected will yield "not found".

And to speed up search, garmin should follow holux not to lump Malaysia poi with Singapore.

It's a matter of preference. Both maps are just as detailed. I use MSM in Sg and MFM in My. In My, the MFM is slightly better.

Hi Redstorm,

Does both your MFM and MSM comes with JCV and LA?

I like MFM for its weekly update, but only my MSM (from Gramin website) comes with JCV and LA, not MFM. We received the Garmin 1460 as a gift when we bought the car.

Understand that the Garmin sold by Eastgear, their MFM comes with JCV and LA, would they be kind enough to flash my Garmin software to Eastgear version (see below)? Is Eastgear the main distributor for all Garmin in Singapore?

Eastgear Garmin preinstalled GPS software.

--------------------------------------------------

Jerome Wee Plus Map Version:

- SG3.75D JOH2.57 GM2.15 Jerome Wee

- SG377Zip JOH 269D MSM215 Jerome Wee

- SG3.78DZP JOH 2.70D Jerome Wee

- Jerome Wee Plus V3.79

- Jerome Wee Plus V3.80

SLA-MalFreeMaps Version:

- MFM-Garmin xx with

Hi Redstorm,

Does both your MFM and MSM comes with JCV and LA?

I like MFM for its weekly update, but only my MSM (from Gramin website) comes with JCV and LA, not MFM. We received the Garmin 1460 as a gift when we bought the car.

Understand that the Garmin sold by Eastgear, their MFM comes with JCV and LA, would they be kind enough to flash my Garmin software to Eastgear version (see below)? Is Eastgear the main distributor for all Garmin in Singapore?

Eastgear Garmin preinstalled GPS software.

--------------------------------------------------

Jerome Wee Plus Map Version:

- SG3.75D JOH2.57 GM2.15 Jerome Wee

- SG377Zip JOH 269D MSM215 Jerome Wee

- SG3.78DZP JOH 2.70D Jerome Wee

- Jerome Wee Plus V3.79

- Jerome Wee Plus V3.80

SLA-MalFreeMaps Version:

- MFM-Garmin xx with

Edited by Redstorm

If your 1460 is able to view the JCV and LA when using the MSM NT map, then it is confirmed a localised version. So, why the need to flash it? Only localised versions are able to view the JCV and LA when used with the correct maps i.e. Garmin CN map of Sg/my and MSM NT map of Sg/My/Bru. That you are not able to view JCV and LA when using the MFM map has got nothing to do with not flashing your unit but because this map does not support these features. In order for JCV and LA to work, the map must be compiled by the Garmin compiler. Unfortunately, only MSM NT map is compiled by Garmin; hence the ability to use JCV and LA. MFM, on the other hand, have no collaboration with Garmin.

Thanks.

But a little confuse here, according to Eastgear website, the Garmin sold by them, their MFM map able to view JCV and LA. Did Eastgear compiled their own MFM map, using Jerome Wee software?

I copied Eastgear's MFM map to my SD card, but can't view JCV and LA, and their map doesn't work in my Garmin, so trying to understand how to overcome the setup issue.

Edited by Billcoke

Thanks.

But a little confuse here, according to Eastgear website, the Garmin sold by them, their MFM map able to view JCV and LA. Did Eastgear compiled their own MFM map, using Jerome Wee software?

There is no way MFM map is able to view JCV and LA and likewise Eastgear is in no position to compile MFM map enabling it to view these features. Like what I mentioned earlier, in order to have JCV and LA, the map must be compiled by Garmin using their own compiler. Garmin compiler is not available to anyone including MSM, MFM or Jerome Wee. The compilers used by MSM, MFM and Jerome Wee are not Garmin compiler but reversed engineered third party compiler that is not able to add the JCV and LA features.

Jerome Wee is actually one of the mappers in MSM and he is responsible the maps of Johor and Sg. At the same time, Jerome Wee also has his own map of Johor and Sg which is basically the same map as that in MSM but the only difference between his own maps and that of MSM map of Johor and Sg is that his maps have polygon of HDB blocks and other buildings. The other thing about Jerome's maps is that you need to make a small contribution in order to able to download and use his map. Jerome Wee's map offered by Eastgear is a tie up between him and the company.

Would you be able to send me the link to the Eastgear site that says that the MFM map is able to view the JCV and LA? Thanks.

Edited by Redstorm

Would you be able to send me the link to the Eastgear site that says that the MFM map is able to view the JCV and LA? Thanks.

Thanks.

Here is the link. And Eastgear's Garmin is preloaded with SLA and MFM, which their specs claims that they can support JCV and LA.

http://www.eastgear.com/garmin-nuvi-1460-sg-my-version.html

1460-5.jpg

1460.jpg

My Garmin is loaded with MSM (Garmin version), MFM (downloaded from malfreemaps.com) and CN Garmin. Would be a great help if I could get MFM to show JCV and LA when driving in Malaysia, which the road in Malaysia can be confusing. Like I mentioned before, MSM Garmin is very slow with map update.

Edited by Billcoke

Thanks.

Here is the link. And Eastgear's Garmin is preloaded with SLA and MFM, which their specs claims that they can support JCV and LA.

http://www.eastgear.com/garmin-nuvi-1460-sg-my-version.html

My Garmin is loaded with MSM (Garmin version), MFM (downloaded from malfreemaps.com) and CN Garmin. Would be a great help if I could get MFM to show JCV and LA when driving in Malaysia, which the road in Malaysia can be confusing. Like I mentioned before, MSM Garmin is very slow with map update.

The Eastgear site is confusing as it doesn't state explicitly which map is preloaded with the device other than the bonus SLA map. By displaying picture of JCV and LA together with specs including the MFM logo does not mean that the MFM map can display JCV and LA. I am inclined to believe that the set is bundled with the standard Garmin CN map and MSM NT map or either one, which is the case for localised set even those purchased from parallel importer like Eastgear. If you are able to JCV and LA with the set, then it is from either the Garmin CN or MSM NT map and not the MFM map.

If you are still not convinced that MFM does not support JCV and LA, there are 3 things you can do:

1. Look for the JCV folder when you download the MFM map. You need this folder in order for the JCV to work when using the map. For your info, there is NONE!!!

2. Go to the Map Info in you device and check the MFM map and unchecked the rest of the maps. Do a simulation on a major road junction preferably on a expressway to see if it display the JCV, or

2. Pose the question in MFM website - www.malfreemaps.com

Edited by Redstorm

The Eastgear site is confusing as it doesn't state explicitly which map is preloaded with the device other than the bonus SLA map. By displaying picture of JCV and LA together with specs including the MFM logo does not mean that the MFM map can display JCV and LA. I am inclined to believe that the set is bundled with the standard Garmin CN map and MSM NT map or either one, which is the case for localised set even those purchased from parallel importer like Eastgear. If you are able to JCV and LA with the set, then it is from either the Garmin CN or MSM NT map and not the MFM map.

If you are still not convinced that MFM does not support JCV and LA, there are 3 things you can do:

1. Look for the JCV folder when you download the MFM map. You need this folder in order for the JCV to work when using the map. For your info, there is NONE!!!

2. Go to the Map Info in you device and check the MFM map and unchecked the rest of the maps. Do a simulation on a major road junction preferably on a expressway to see if it display the JCV, or

2. Pose the question in MFM website - www.malfreemaps.com

Redstorm,

You are dead right that MFM don't support JCV and LA. According to Eastgear manual, to display JCV and LA, they recommend to tick MSM and SLA only, and untick MFM-Garmin, CN.

Case close, I can sleep better tonight, not to waste further time on this missing JCV issue.

Many thanks again for your patient in answering the questions.

Edited by Billcoke

Redstorm,

You are dead right that MFM don't support JCV and LA. According to Eastgear manual, to display JCV and LA, they recommend to tick MSM and SLA only, and untick MFM-Garmin, CN.

Case close, I can sleep better tonight, not to waste further time on this missing JCV issue.

Many thanks again for your patient in answering the questions.

No problem, at least we can clear the air. Actually, other than the MSM NT map, you can also use the Garmin CN map and it will also display the JCV and LA. A word of caution when you are using either MSM NT or Garmin CN map. I had encountered a problem of the JCV not being displayed when the SLA map was checked together with either of these maps. So, try to do a simulation and if you face the same problem, please uncheck the SLA map. Thanks.

Hi, Can MSM search for block or unit number address?

If possible, pls advice on how to do that.

Yes, at the front page of your device > Where To? > Spell Name and key just the blk no. eg. 116 and it will display a list of all the Blk 116 for you to select the correct. As for unit number, no brand of GPS device is able to perform such a search. Thanks.

Neutral Newbie

Yes, at the front page of your device > Where To? > Spell Name and key just the blk no. eg. 116 and it will display a list of all the Blk 116 for you to select the correct. As for unit number, no brand of GPS device is able to perform such a search. Thanks.

I can only search for blk using MFM but not MSM....am I missing something here?

Pls advice.

(edited)

I can only search for blk using MFM but not MSM....am I missing something here?

Pls advice.

No, you are not missing anything. When you mentioned MSM map, I assumed you are refering to the MSM NT map compiled by Garmin instead of the MSM cgpsmapper ver because the cgpsmapper version is able to search for Blk nos. THe MSM map, when handed to Garmin Taiwan for the compilation, it included all the HDB POIs but unfortunately we at MSM discovered that the HDB blocks do not show up in the map. This is something that we have to resolve with Garmin Taiwan. Thanks.

If the JCV and LA are not critical to you, I suggest you download and install the MSM cgpsmapper version (ver 4.23) as opposed to 4.08 for the MSM NT map. Moreover, the cgpsmapper version is released every Monday whereas the MSM NT map every quarterly.

Edited by Redstorm

Neutral Newbie

No, you are not missing anything. When you mentioned MSM map, I assumed you are refering to the MSM NT map compiled by Garmin instead of the MSM cgpsmapper ver because the cgpsmapper version is able to search for Blk nos. THe MSM map, when handed to Garmin Taiwan for the compilation, it included all the HDB POIs but unfortunately we at MSM discovered that the HDB blocks do not show up in the map. This is something that we have to resolve with Garmin Taiwan. Thanks.

If the JCV and LA are not critical to you, I suggest you download and install the MSM cgpsmapper version (ver 4.23) as opposed to 4.08 for the MSM NT map. Moreover, the cgpsmapper version is released every Monday whereas the MSM NT map every quarterly.

Thanks for your useful information.

(edited)

I notice that MFM map for Garmin often auto zoom in and out while on the road, the POI will also disappear when zoom out. Is there anyway to prevent the POI from disappearing from the screen?

Secondly, how can I transfer my POI to other Garmins?

Edited by Billcoke

I notice that MFM map for Garmin often auto zoom in and out while on the road, the POI will also disappear when zoom out. Is there anyway to prevent the POI from disappearing from the screen?

Secondly, how can I transfer my POI to other Garmins?

You can't do anything about the zooming as well as preventing the POI from disappearing from the screen. It's all in the Nuvi's software and one possible way out is for Garmin to do a firmware update if there are areas that are problematic. If you are talking about those POIs which you saved as waypoints in your "Favourite", then it is possible to transfer all or selected one from one device to another using mapsource. All these favourites reside in G:/Garmin/GPX. Just connect your device to the mapsource and under "Tranfser" in mapsource, select "Receive from device". All your routes, maps, waypoints and tracks will be imported from your connected device and displayed in mapsource. ONce done, unplugged your device from the PC and connect the other device to the PC. Before you transfer all the favourites or selected one to the second device, please delete all those waypoints and also those tracks, maps and routes, if any, that you do not want to transfer over. Then, under "Transfer", select "Send to device". Thank you.

↡ Advertisement