Counterfeit electronic goods syndicate at Sim Lim Square bus

Ericongy

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20091203/tap-...yn-231650b.html

seperately, i wana share one my worst shopping exprience ever.

abt a year ago, i went sim lim to buy some xbox 360 games, after shopping for a while, i went into a shop outside the air-conditioned area. one of the game i wanted to buy is $75.00 and abt $3-$4 cheaper den other store after some bargain. so i decided to buy from them. when i was abt to make my payment, one of the store guy (full of tatto) pressure me to buy a xbox cooler for $120, i say dunit, den he say $80 den $50, but i refuse coz i saw the exact same item for $39.90 on the fifth floor. den he start murmuring " how can dun buy, your xbox sure overheat..." i heard wad he say n damm TL, but i LL as i was wif my gf n they have 3-4 guys in the store.

so i proceed to make payment using credit card, den i notice the receipt reads $80.25. so i ask him y? he say "plus gst mah, gst sure mus pay one" wtf, i dunnit an uneducated chao ah beng to tell me i need to pay gst! but this is the 1st time ever in my life i buy a small item in sgp that is GST EXclusive...

feeling cheated, i said "like dat i dun want".. he reply "cannot leh, i already key in".. i said "can cancel one"... he said "cannot"... i wanted to walk off, but my credit card was wif him....so to avoid further confrontation over a few bucks, i made the payment...

from then on, i seldom go sim lim... even if i go, i wun even wana walk pass those stores open by those uneducated chao ah beng, i feel the smell of their store stink my shirt...

↡ Advertisement

as a general rule of thumb, try not to buy any electrical products such as TVs/home theatre systems, consoles from SLS..

i think it is a well known fact that these shops are already blacklisted..

Do they have a GST registration number on their receipt? If not, take the receipt and file a complain at IRAS against that shop for charging GST. Give them jialat jialat.

but if you want to buy console games there, you might want to go down to B1, near the food court.. there's a shop which sells games and consoles..

i bought from them quite a number of times and prices are quite fixed.. except that you can bargain if u are buying more than 1..

anyway usually you don't pay using credit card at SLS because they will charge a certain premium to it.. try to pay by cash or NETS if possible..

Never ever step into or buy from sim lim 1st and 2nd level shops, except alan photo. Even for game controller, I got it cheaper at Cyberactive than game shops in sim lim.

My friend bought a cd player years back, ask prices around and find one cheapest. So proceed to buy and friend being persuaded to upgrade the rechargeable battery to a higher cap at $10. Salesman then show the package and ask him fill warranty card. So when friend was about to pay, salesman press calculator, add the $10 and finally GST, which was not mentioned. End up it's the same price as other shops and found out the 'upgraded' battery is actually included in the original package.

Last time when VCD and pirated games were rampant over there, I saw the ah bengs beat up one big size secondary sch student for shoplifting. The student beg for mercy when the ah bengs wana call his parents. It was one of the non-aircon game shops near the traffic light to SLT.

I also witness live CID making arrest and the ah bengs run like mad with ah bengs(CID) chasing them over at SLS. Was surprised that the CID all were quite young and dressed like the ah bengs too. Only when they are handcuffed and brought back to the shop then I know who was the CID.

pay more to buy from big stores like Harvey, Courts...at least easier to seek exchange or to complain to media they scare.

SLS is s--t. STB sld blacklist SLS as the place for tourists.

Edited by Babyt

please check the receipt for gst registration no. there are certain rules and regulation for charging GST.

if no have reg no. complain to IRAS. cmf they jialat.

suka suka charge meh? they think GST their lao peh's one arh

Turbocharged

if annual taking is less than 100k, shop cannot charge GST right?

Not sure if there is change but if rev > $1m, die die must register. < $1m, not compulsory but can volunteer to register.

wrong, any shop can charge GST regardless of their annual revenue, so long as they voluntarily register themselves.

it only becomes "compulsory" to register and charge if revenue exceeds $1m. it is optional but possible for those under $1m

Edited by TangoElite

you still can apply for GST even if your revenue is less than S$1 million..

Must be streetwise while shopping in SLS. Compare and ask whats included.

Do your homework too.

Otherwise, take the extra charge as tuition fee.

yea. just as long as they are registered.

cuz when they are registered. the gst collected goes to the govt. in turn they can claim theirs also.

however if they are not. den u know where the gst collected goes.

those china Iphones isit considered fake? Thot quite commonly seen item in SLS & saw a big booth selling it also.

1st & 2nd floor electrical shops all black shops 1..dunno how the hell they survive till now. The common trick they always use is the "battery" muz purchase separately. U go around 1st or 2nd floor shops to compare price also same2 one.

↡ Advertisement