Explain OMV to me?

Ev0lutionz

Is it the price of the car without any other taxes like import/GST etc?

So lets say a Lancer EX gt 2.0 is manufactured here.. Then its OMV is 19k. So when sell to the consumers it will be 19k? Damn cheap i can say if its like that.

↡ Advertisement

from LTA website

'OMV is assessed by the Singapore Customs (Tel: 6355 2000), based on the price actually paid or payable for the goods when sold for export to the country of importation. This price includes purchase price, freight, insurance and all other charges incidental to the sale and delivery of the car to Singapore. '

Omv of a car is like the total price you pay to bring the car into Singapore port.

It's like the total cost to buy something from the Internet fr overseas. The item cost plus the transport plus insurance plus shipping costs plus etc incurred to bring the item into Singapore.

If some smart manufacturer can set up a factory in Malaysia to make cars JUST for Singapore market, and sell it at super cheap OMV. It will be good. But Singapore market is too small for them consider it.

Neutral Newbie

If some smart manufacturer can set up a factory in Malaysia to make cars JUST for Singapore market, and sell it at super cheap OMV. It will be good. But Singapore market is too small for them consider it.

Even if it happens.. our great exalted supreme leaders imo will not allow it.. or will slap a higher arf for these cars...rem CNG and Diesel "Special" tax <_<

If you say the market is too small, why would you still consider the said manufacturer "smart"? More like a stupid manufacturer.

I mean the smart manufacturer can sell you a Malaysia assembled BMW 335i at OMV $80k ringget.

But you have to sign a compulsory 3 years maintanance servicing contract at say $30k ringget.

Some thing like that lah.

The reason why Audi and Mercs are successful lately could be because the manufacturer are the direct importers now. So they can 'tweak' the OMV to make their cars more competitive.

The other KM and BM and MI and TCM, I believe are still middleman status, which is why their OMV sucks big time, as they cannot disctate the OMV price as they wish.

I mean the smart manufacturer can sell you a Malaysia assembled BMW 335i at OMV $80k ringget.

But you have to sign a compulsory 3 years maintanance servicing contract at say $30k ringget.

Some thing like that lah.

The reason why Audi and Mercs are successful lately could be because the manufacturer are the direct importers now. So they can 'tweak' the OMV to make their cars more competitive.

The other KM and BM and MI and TCM, I believe are still middleman status, which is why their OMV sucks big time, as they cannot disctate the OMV price as they wish.

Merz is still selling their cars via C&C right? there were talks of Merz doing the distributionship but I don't think they have taken over yet. Audi is selling their cars thru' Premium Auto which is not a subsidiary of Audi. Till now, VW is the only brand who is fully in charge of distributing their own vehicles hence their OMV can be lower.

Edited by Jamesgetz

Supercharged

you dun know Malaysia divorced Singapore liao meh? [hur]

made in Malaysia so wat? still not made in Singapore. [smash]

no different from made anywhere else in the world,

and still will attract import duty and ARF.

Basic cost of a car in Singapore include OMV X 2 + OMV X 20% (Custom Duty) + 7% GST + S$140 (Registration fee) + COE.

i thought custom duty is included in OMV?

Not included. OMV stands for Open Market Value, the cost of the car in the open market -- in this case, the price you import it for. What you are talking about is "ARF" which is "Additional Registration Fee" and is 110% of OMV, plus 20% of OMV which is custom duties.

All these info if I recall, are publicly available on LTA website, all transparent. Just google.

i thought custom duty is included in OMV?

Then may i ask, if a OMV of a civic is 20k. But it is sold as 80k from KM. the 60k includes what besides COE?

OMV+ARF+Import Tax+GST+COE+Reg fees+Road tax+Radio license+extras on car (solar film, alarm etc)+warranty costs+operating costs+salesman commission+company profits

Not included. OMV stands for Open Market Value, the cost of the car in the open market -- in this case, the price you import it for. What you are talking about is "ARF" which is "Additional Registration Fee" and is 110% of OMV, plus 20% of OMV which is custom duties.

All these info if I recall, are publicly available on LTA website, all transparent. Just google.

ARF is now 100 percent of omv

↡ Advertisement