Local IT Talents Dying ???

Ithunk

Even renovation nowsday mostly are China, Ah Nei (Workmanship terrible), Malaysian still quite a bit. Local ? Dun think can see liao . My unit flooring granite was done by a local uncle as the Reno boss feel that local tile layers are more skiful. Indeed skill is super ,need to book 1 month in advance but it a high price to pay. See even a Pri 6 uncle's rice bowl also affected.

about 12 years ago, my family's contractor also recommended the same thing as we are using those 2 x 3 feet granite tiles and thus, superior workmanship is required.

When my dad was asking the old man (local) how much he was paid, he said $5k :o

↡ Advertisement

Same here!

I started my 1st job as a programmer. After 6 months, i left and never went back to the IT industry.

Looking back, i've no regrets!! Heng ah!!

Aiya, ppl here where got passion in their work one.... Only passion in earning money. Where the wind blow, there they will be...

I have great passion in software development and still do but unfortunately, not well appreciated here. Most ppl think programming is dirty job, only fit for ah nehs. That's not the case in US. I had a great job doing software development in Japan with decent salary but had to come back as my wife don't like the life there. Haiz...

bro, in IT field ppl look for more on experiences rather dan paper... in tis line, it is more experience thirsty dan any other line... dun try to be a paper IT engineer or paper engineer only... although there are many ppl out there who tink tat by holding a paper can get them $3k-4k or even higher... pls dun hav tis concept, i hav frens who only 'o' level or ITE but their salary is much more higher dan tis figures in IT field cos they noe how to work slowly up themselves rather dan having ppl only take paper and expect tis type of salary when they grad... <_<

true..IT no neccssary need alot paper but is about portfolio and experience

my relative is self employed software engineer, he created this program for a niche industry and supply to 75% of the market here.

till now no person able to copy or over write it..now he shaking leg collect $ thats all..think retired liaoz

he do not have proper cert also

Aiya, ppl here where got passion in their work one.... Only passion in earning money. Where the wind blow, there they will be...

I have great passion in software development and still do but unfortunately, not well appreciated here. Most ppl think programming is dirty job, only fit for ah nehs. That's not the case in US. I had a great job doing software development in Japan with decent salary but had to come back as my wife don't like the life there. Haiz...

In IT passion and survival cannot go hand in hand. I also have great passion for programming but alas it is a shitty job. You don't get any credit for good program but s--t when there is bugs...and the timeline is crazy these days. Anyway I have move out of it long time ago......Somehow in Singapore programmer is never appreciate to those management it can be outsource to anyone, they don't seem to understand that everyone can code but to code well is another thing althougher

normally its the project team excluding the programmers who got the most appraisal.

the one who think gets the most while the one who develop gets the less.

normally its the project team excluding the programmers who got the most appraisal.

but these day the think and develop are all in one. In my days when I start work, we have title like programmer,

analyst programmer and system analyst. As time pass by, it is call software engineer and final today

everyone is call a consultant...even fresh grad out of school....sigh.............

Isnt the PhD aka the "development" cateogry?

Many local people don't like to get their hands dirty to do all the technical work and is not able to take hard work. Most people want to do project management and supervisory roles without the foundations of the technical stuffs. True blue technical people don't get much recognition unless the boss himself/herself came from similar background. Besides, there isn't many local people with good technical skills.

For the Financial/Consulting sectors, pay wise can be pretty good. Entry to these industries can be a bit difficult without recommendations.

Came across this in hwz current affairs

Posted by 4Dluckystrike

When reading abt IT talents still in demand .. I can only summarised with my own experience :Our own talents no longer wants to be in this line.

Reason:

1) Pay low even with degree + certs(MCSE,CCNA)

Seriously, have classmates who are offered 2K plus.. and pay is dropping as companies are comparing with foreign talents.

Those who stayed either moved overseas or to another area with minimal involvment in IT and they are ones with best technical knowledge...

2) No career progression within the field.

Can you imagine whole project outsource to china and india??..

So where got need for managers or tech consultants developers??

They just need sales ppl with minimal knowledge and direct the rest to the overseas team.

So what r the remaining posts available ???

I beg to differ that local talents do not want to get their hands dirty.

singaporeans are just as hardworking as the FT - at least in the IT industry but i cant say for the labourer jobs...

as for FT being cheaper, i don't think so.

You'll be surprised that the FTs are being paid more to perform the same work as the locals or even worse...

FTs are being paid more to report to the locals who are being paid less...

This is a sad situation but true...

All because they are labeled FTs...

As for local IT talents - they ply their trade elsewhere... where they get better appreciation...

and for that they get regarded as quitters - rather than talents...

again sad but true...

if the "garmen" believes this would make the FTs love sg... they are so wrong... most of the FTs (but not all)are very ready to give up everything here and return to their hometown whens singapore is not rosy anymore... leaving the local people who are the ones who will remain to turn the country around...

this is the saddest but what to do if the people who runs this nation are so blind to...

I beg to differ that local talents do not want to get their hands dirty.

singaporeans are just as hardworking as the FT - at least in the IT industry but i cant say for the labourer jobs...

as for FT being cheaper, i don't think so.

You'll be surprised that the FTs are being paid more to perform the same work as the locals or even worse...

FTs are being paid more to report to the locals who are being paid less...

This is a sad situation but true...

All because they are labeled FTs...

As for local IT talents - they ply their trade elsewhere... where they get better appreciation...

and for that they get regarded as quitters - rather than talents...

again sad but true...

if the "garmen" believes this would make the FTs love sg... they are so wrong... most of the FTs (but not all)are very ready to give up everything here and return to their hometown whens singapore is not rosy anymore... leaving the local people who are the ones who will remain to turn the country around...

this is the saddest but what to do if the people who runs this nation are so blind to...

The thing to do is be a quitter, get out there and be a FTs [laugh] , planning to do that too. Since our gahmen like FTs so much, why stay here let the FTs roam around Sg while we go else where.

Cheers

Personally the IT FT are much sought for in SG due to the following possible reasons:

1. Exposure - They have worked in a number of big names across the globe

2. Qualification - A Masters is almost the minimal criteria for them.

3. Cost - Actually they may cost more than locals...but in some cases they provided a wider breadth of experience at a lower cost.

I believe the local IT talents are still doing very much. It's those local IT Personnel (not everyone is a talent) that are slowly being pushed out of the circle.

but these day the think and develop are all in one. In my days when I start work, we have title like programmer,

analyst programmer and system analyst. As time pass by, it is call software engineer and final today

everyone is call a consultant...even fresh grad out of school....sigh.............

yes true..u think and develop at same time...however did a project for my coy...those buggers with zero IT knowledge but initiated the project was appraised better than me who assisted them in designing the apps to fit into their requirements otherwise if i follow their stupid ideas blindly, it will not be workable.

yes true..u think and develop at same time...however did a project for my coy...those buggers with zero IT knowledge but initiated the project was appraised better than me who assisted them in designing the apps to fit into their requirements otherwise if i follow their stupid ideas blindly, it will not be workable.

Thats why its better to be a program/project manager than a developer.

In IT passion and survival cannot go hand in hand. I also have great passion for programming but alas it is a shitty job. You don't get any credit for good program but s--t when there is bugs...and the timeline is crazy these days. Anyway I have move out of it long time ago......Somehow in Singapore programmer is never appreciate to those management it can be outsource to anyone, they don't seem to understand that everyone can code but to code well is another thing althougher

Sad but true... generally computer programmers are generally regarded in IT as what a construction worker in the construction industry is.

Thats why its better to be a program/project manager than a developer.

But such roles are very hard to find in a big company. Usually only small companies can offer such roles.

IT profession is a very typical "eat but not full yet will not hungry" if u translate to dialect. want to "tua tua tan tan", IT industry is not the one.

↡ Advertisement