Best Family Sedan of the Year

Ragingbull

Best Family Sedan of the Year  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Which car do you think deserves to be named Family Sedan of the Year?

• Chevrolet Cruze
    • Kia Cerato Forte
    • Mazda6
    • Skoda Octavia

Internal Moderator

I choose Octavia because, family car not only must be comfortable, it must also have big boots... i think Skoda Octavia is the only car that fit both requirement.

Plus its lift back mean that its easier to store things for family.

Shock Shock Horror Horror, Shock Shock Horror!! I actually voted for the KIA! Never though the day would come when a Korean import actually looked appealing to me! But for what it's worth, I'd openly admit that this is one car where the Pros really outweigh the Cons!

Guess we are comparing all the Cat B. With that, think Forte and Cruz would be contender due to their pricing compared to Mz6 & Octy.

Family car does not mean Cheap car leh.. we have to consider all rounder factor...

Main thing i look at is safety, comfort and boot size for family car.

It appears that the votes are mainly based on the looks of the car. If that were the case then, yes, the Kia Cerato Forte definitely has looks. However, in a family car, the interior, boot space and safety factors have to be taken into consideration.

Having reviewed both the Korean makes before, I would have this to say about them:

The Chevrolet Cruze is by no means an ugly car, however, because of the rather weak 1.6litre engine and the more un-economical 1.8l engine, it loses out. Also, the interior quality and design leaves a lot to be desired. Bodyroll is quite bad when taking corner. The engine is noisy and grumbles when pushed and it's not a nice sound. You'd also find yourself pushing the engine quite a bit because of its lack of torque.

The KIA Cerato Forte has a very good looking exterior. However, rear space is a little tight and ride comfort isn't at the top of this bunch. The engine is not a performer either which makes for a rather dull driving experience overall. The interior quality is disappointing for a car that demonstrated plenty of promise on the outside. The plastics used are cheap and they look that way.

The tough choice would be between the Mazda 6 and the Skoda Octavia.

Having owned both cars previously and currently, here's my take on them :

The Mazda 6 handles wonderfully and would be rated highly in terms of interior room, and build quality. Ride comfort is also good. However, if you're buying the base 2 litre version, I'm afraid that the lack of torque would leave you somewhere in the back when it comes to the local traffic light sprint.

However, if you wanted to drive in a spirited manner around say..."99 bends" the car handles wonderfully with very little bodyroll. On the highways, it does get a little noisy because of the lack of higher gears. At 100km/h, the rev counter is going at around 2200rpms and the insulation against engine noise isn't that good. When the car is at rest, it also generates some vibrations which can be felt through the steering wheel. The traditional 5-speed auto gearbox offered here doesn't break any new ground in technology but does shift quite smoothly. The boot is spacious but loses out to the Octavia by quite a big margin.

As for the Octavia, the interior build quality is Audi-esque and you'd be hard-pressed to find fitting defects anywhere. The car also feels extremely solid typical to german makes. On the road, it is confident and well planted and does highway speeds very well and rather smoothly. The interior space is generous and that enormous boot is a huge bonus. The main drawback is that you'd have to mind the bootlid as this is a liftback and thus, it can open a tad high making it difficult for ladies to close and have the possiblity of scratching the bootlid on the ceilings of MSCPs. The DSG 7-speed gearbox is another big plus along with the frugal 1.4litre TSi turbocharged engine.

Overall, I'll say that the Octavia would win my vote as car of the year...otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it! LOL!