Malaysia: Drive up to Malacca

Qqman

Morning Bros

Me will be driving to Malacca first time this coming friday afternoon , any advise to share ?

Will be gg by 1st link , which stop over is safer ?

Lady driver here and my passenger dun know the route .

Will be relying on my garmin gps.

Thanks

The NS Highway stretch from Singapore to Meleka is designated E2. So if you are lost, keep looking out for the E2 route sign.

Drive carefully and get up to speed slowly. Getting up to 110kph shoud not be a major problem. After that, slowly get used to higher speed in the region of 120kph+ for overtaking. If not comfortable, just stay on the left lane, but try not to go too slow. Listen carefully to your car for any strange noises. Make sure your passengers are buckled up and if they are distracting you, tell them so politely and ask them to help watch the road.

There are KM markers (milestone) along the NS Highway. Its either on the divider or at the side of the road. 0km is JB, counting up as you go Northbound. The markers are seen every 100meters (white plate) and every 1km, green plate, IIRC or vice versa. Try to keep a look out for them every now and then to orientate yourself. You can ask you passengers to do that for you. Keeps them awake. [sly]

North bound out of SGP, Machap R&R is ard 70+km mark. Its a big stop so rather safe, but still the common cautions be taken i.e look after your belongings. There will not be much stop from here until Pagoh 140km mark, so I recommend the Machap stop to refresh abit.

After Yong Peng (100km), which is about half-way to Melaka, you will cross the hills. Some upslopes and sweeping bends. Keep the power and momemtum going so you dun loose to much speed or get caught out trying to accelerate upslope. Coming off the hills will be a stretch of concrete straight road. There are a few culverts you will cross so keep your eyes looking far ahead. Slow down if you dun want to roller-coaster your passengers. Pagoh R&R is another big stop at around 145km. You can stop if you want to.

Next up is Tangkak (nothing there) and the Johor-Malacca State border. Once you pass Jasin, your exit will be coming up next. Keep a look out for the signs and milestone.

Exit AYER KEROH for Melaka. Exit 231. The exit is at 195km mark. So start to pay attention at around 190km mark. Signal and keep left earlier becoz exits come and go rather fast when travelling at high speed. If you miss the exit, don't panic. Never try to reverse on the NS Highway, there are easier ways to die. Just keep going on, there is another exit at 217km mark. Exit to Alor Gajah and make your way back to Melaka either using Route No. 5 (Old road) or get back on the South bound lane of E2. If you miss that, go KL, the food is better anyway. ^_^

From the toll plaza at Ayer Keroh, its another 20mins to downtown Melaka, look out for the sign - PUSAT BANDARAYA. You will most likely get lost a few times from here to town, but that is part of the fun of driving to Malaysia. Have a good trip. [drivingcar]

Edited by Bavarian
↡ Advertisement

Morning Bros

Me will be driving to Malacca first time this coming friday afternoon , any advise to share ?

Thanks

My advise for you. If you happen to be setting off around 7-9am, watch your speed after you past Pagoh R&R till Ayer Keroh exit, most likely or not, there will be a TP road block. Sometimes, they may set 1 up in the late afternoon.

After you exit Ayer Keroh, on the way to Melaka town, don't speed along the straight road.

On your way back to Singapore, if you are taking the 2nd link HW, do not attempt to speed at all.

Morning Bros

Thanks

I m going there with my family this friday too, around 12pm.

PM me if u want to tag along

Neutral Newbie

Morning Bros

Thanks

1st link is what? Woodland? Going by Tuas will be much better, highway all the way to Malacca. I also want to go Malacca eat Chendol but think of the possible jam... sigh... Gonna be a mini Singapore there wahahaha...

It's going to be a super packed Long weekend.

My advice : Leave early-- Plan to reach Custom 5 am to avoid massive jam, and those heavy traffic.

Look around car before unlocking, get in without delay, and lock.

Hi bros ....

Thanks for all the tips , i am back from malacca.....I cheong all the way , no stop over at all

Just some hicups :

While leaving woodlands at 6am , the officer checked my fuel tank , i was below 3/4 and slightly above 1/2, but he smile and let me go , so please dun play play ....

I kenna parking fine when I left to check out the peranakan restaurant open or not , came back 2 mins , kenna fine liao , can ignore right ?

And a stupid male driver , while i was stopped at the traffic lights in malacca, his car drove past and knocked to my side mirror , i dun dare to go down la , just some scratches ....

My next driving trip will be KL , hopefully i can handle the complicated traffics there ....

Once again , thanks for all those who provide advise ! appreciate a lot!

which gps model are you using?

i stayed at holiday inn facing the sea then when i went for a driving trip. which hotel u stayed? must taste the famous chicken rice ball!

Hi Mivec 8

I was quite late yesterday when i reached Jonker st , so i ate at Afomosa chicken rice , so lousy !

This morning i went over , the shops not ready yet , so i never have chance to eat other chicken rice . But i ate the durian chendol at san shu kong , not bad la.

I use nuvi 1340 garmin gps , upon reaching malacca town , the gps a bit cocked up! so i was lost in malacca, was a but panicked so i restart my gps and finally it lead me to my hotel ...

I have updated e latest map , still not tat accurate in msia ....

hi,

juz wanna share some infor and FR on my trip to melaka !!! :)

and the purpose on this FR is also to highlights certain reviews on Tripadvisor ..

Everything was smooth when we set off from Tuas and custom clearance was fast maybe its a weekday (Friday) we clear both custom within 20 mins.

after which we started our 204km journey to Melaka.. had a stopover at Machap R&R suprised that there is a Toast box style of coffeshop there so ate our breakfast and cont our journey up ... total took about 2hrs to reach Melaka exit...

The road was quite direct and we reach our hotel about 15-20 mins time.... We are staying at Seri Costa Hotel which this is the part i'm worry cos according to Trip advisor the ranking was 77/100 and i already make a booking for a room of family of 4 ... the crtitics on this hotel is only 50 true and 50 percent false... but the best part is this is the nearest hotel other then ALDYS to Jonker Walk , St Pauls church and Mekotha parade mall.....

we tried the japanese buffet on the first day which is darn worth the price... its located at the 2nd floor of mekotha parade.. Rm26 and u can have a combo of teppanyaki, cook food , shark fins etc... almost comparable with out Sakura in Sg (maybe better)

we also tried the Farmosa chicken rice ball (not very nice)

we also went for the river cruise and the guide told me that there is another Boutique hotlel coming up in Dec and its only 3mins walk to Jonker walk and st pauls..

i will plan another trip to melaka in the near future..

hopw the above does help for those planning to go melaka..

cheers

THe Chicken Rice you had is most prob the fake one...

For those who want to go Equatorial is good location wise...

Have a noob question here regarding the hotel pricing.

Will there be any difference between walk-in rate and bookings done on-line (in advance)?

Have a noob question here regarding the hotel pricing.

Will there be any difference between walk-in rate and bookings done on-line (in advance)?

Yes they are known to chop carrot.

If walk in sure kana big big.

Online cheaper but still around 350-450 RM for a standard room

↡ Advertisement