Migrating down under? Come share your experiences

Leslielai

This thread is meant for fellow forumers who have migrated down under or are intending to do so.

Those who have, care to share some tips and information about how life is like? What instigated you to do so? Is life really better on the other side?

I'm harbouring thoughts of migrating (or quitting, like our government puts it) down under. Life here is getting really suffocating man... no thanks to the influx of people from a certain large Asian country. Starting to feel like a second-rate citizen in my very own country. -_-

↡ Advertisement

same feeling there, while studying in uni there, my car was vandalize . the white trash dont really like asian as well

TS was saying he felt like 2nd class citizen in his own country, not australia lah. Racist in down under is not that serious though, i had it occasionally and even on the 1st day i arrived there for uni study, felt like coming home straight away [bigcry] [bigcry]

This thread is meant for fellow forumers who have migrated down under or are intending to do so.

Those who have, care to share some tips and information about how life is like? What instigated you to do so? Is life really better on the other side?

I'm harbouring thoughts of migrating (or quitting, like our government puts it) down under. Life here is getting really suffocating man... no thanks to the influx of people from a certain large Asian country. Starting to feel like a second-rate citizen in my very own country. -_-

dun find your answer here, go to the OZ immigrant forum and you will find more information and support that make you want to leave asap [laugh] [laugh] i gave up the idea as they dun want us at older age, family root is too deep to leave it completely [:(]

To me Aus is just like another Sg... too many FTs and the sudden influx have drive prices sky rocketing... WYS here is WYG over there. I prefer NZ though... no doubt the life there is a little slow compared to Sg and felt a little like being in a kampung but I like it there. NZ youngsters are also migrating to Aus by the dozen too... nice place to live in, nice environment for kids and best road trips I have ever had..

Actually when ppl say about influx of migrants and they want to leave sg just becos of that, I find it amusing. Why shld a few migrants bother you to the point that you wanna leave your homeland? Or why is it more convenient to put all the blame on the migrants? The funny thing is that most migrants are not even going to stay here for good. Some will go back home, some will move on to the US of A. After some years, less and less will want to come here.

For me, I wouldn't want to give up the conveniences here in sg. If I hungry at any point of time, I can go to nearby copitiam/hawker center, $3~$5 I can satisfy my hunger. I dun need to do grocery shopping once every couple of days and I dun need to learn how to cook. If I need anything I just need to drive to town to get it and I dun have to spent half a day of driving. I dun have to suffer any discrimination here in sg. If ppl dun want to deal with me, there are a lot more other choices I can choose from.

If you say these ppl drive up prices of property and everything else. Sg land so scarce, property prices will go up regardless of anything or anyone. That doesn't mean other countries are not affected. The current shortage of food supply and fuel affects everyone. If you migrate now, you are just spending more dan what is necessary plus ppl might not welcome you with open arms.

There are few things to take note.~

Some cons are like higher tax, the racism concern, the high medication expenses, etc.

But pros are crystal clear light water, better environment, slow moving pace towards lifestyle and work life, cheaper property and cars, etc.

Most importantly, you must like the country and weigh it yourself in a finer comparison.~

Some cons are like higher tax, the racism concern, the high medication expenses, etc.

But pros are crystal clear light water, better environment, slow moving pace towards lifestyle and work life, cheaper property and cars, etc.

Most importantly, you must like the country and weigh it yourself in a finer comparison.~

You didnt mention about the taxes there, are they lower or cheaper as well?

dun find your answer here, go to the OZ immigrant forum and you will find more information and support that make you want to leave asap [laugh] [laugh] i gave up the idea as they dun want us at older age, family root is too deep to leave it completely [:(]

Precisely why I'm trying not to venture there until I'm more or less certain about wanting to move away .. hahaha

Thanks for all the input, guys.

The reason why I cite the influx of foreigners as the key reason behind my decision to consider a move away from this country I'm born and raised in is that the only thing that's really keeping me here is the sense of familiarity that all of us associate with our home country. There're many things that I'm not happy about (which I should not mention for reasons you can probably guess) but the bottomline for me all along is that this place must still feel like home (a very simple example is the language we hear spoken around us.. it used to be just broken English, Mandarin, Malay and the likes) but all I hear these days is heavily accented Mandarin spoken by this select group of individuals our dearest government so dearly embrace even at the cost of societal imbalance.

You didnt mention about the taxes there, are they lower or cheaper as well?

Considerably higher. 40% but wages are higher, working hours are legally limited and citizens enjoy very low cost or even free medical treatment.

Thanks bro

The highlighted points are all I want in life..

I understand that I do have to cope with the negatives.. just need to find out how intense these can get. [:p]

Actually when ppl say about influx of migrants and they want to leave sg just becos of that, I find it amusing. Why shld a few migrants bother you to the point that you wanna leave your homeland? Or why is it more convenient to put all the blame on the migrants? The funny thing is that most migrants are not even going to stay here for good. Some will go back home, some will move on to the US of A. After some years, less and less will want to come here.

For me, I wouldn't want to give up the conveniences here in sg. If I hungry at any point of time, I can go to nearby copitiam/hawker center, $3~$5 I can satisfy my hunger. I dun need to do grocery shopping once every couple of days and I dun need to learn how to cook. If I need anything I just need to drive to town to get it and I dun have to spent half a day of driving. I dun have to suffer any discrimination here in sg. If ppl dun want to deal with me, there are a lot more other choices I can choose from.

If you say these ppl drive up prices of property and everything else. Sg land so scarce, property prices will go up regardless of anything or anyone. That doesn't mean other countries are not affected. The current shortage of food supply and fuel affects everyone. If you migrate now, you are just spending more dan what is necessary plus ppl might not welcome you with open arms.

Yea, that..

Though important, I'm willing to sacrifice that for better environment and cheaper housing. Seriously.

What you need is juz a change of environment. Try working overseas first. It's important you hold on to your sg citizenship cos once you let it go, that's it you won't get it back.

Yea, that..

Though important, I'm willing to sacrifice that for better environment and cheaper housing. Seriously.

not everything is cheap and as convenience over there, yes car and housing may be cheaper with the big land they have, but other services is more expensive and food too if you dun cook yourself. I have friends who come back to singapore to shop for the entire year supplies of certain items. Having said, unless your job is not as stressful there, the quality of life is much better. For me, i will enjoy every second of it.....sadly it was not what my wife wants [:(]

Considerably higher. 40% but wages are higher, working hours are legally limited and citizens enjoy very low cost or even free medical treatment.

Free is becos it has reflected inside the 40% liao. And BTW, in one year, how often do you visit the doctor?

Free is becos it has reflected inside the 40% liao. And BTW, in one year, how often do you visit the doctor?

Bro, I don't know if you have had family members being sick and raking up huge medical bills but I have seen it for myself. Its definitely more important as one grows older. Let's not even talk about insurance. They always somehow have some legal nonsense to not payout the stipulated amount when you really fall sick.

Yes the 40% tax may be very hard to swallow but I'd gladly pay that in exchange for any potential medical treatment I need and the undisputed better quality of life.

I have to agree with you. Sg hospital bill is really no joke, it is as good as blood sucker. They can list down all charges in a single bill that we dont even know what it was, just let them charge and suck us. One thing I do know is, though the bill is high, they cant do anything to you even if you cant or have no money to pay them. Instead, you can pay by instalment bit by bit.

↡ Advertisement