Buying used car - how to evaluate?

Sci10213

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a used car less than 5 yrs old.

But I'm not sure if I am getting a good deal or becoming a carrot head...

Suppose I saw an ad for a car that sells for S$30k & assume in good condition. Vehicle registered in 2006.

How do I know if the selling price is too high or a good bargain just based on very brief details? Or do I need to know what other details to establish a good selling price?

Please advise

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Hi

Suppose I saw an ad for a car that sells for S$30k & assume in good condition. Vehicle registered in 2006.

How do I know if the selling price is too high or a good bargain just based on very brief details? Or do I need to know what other details to establish a good selling price?

Please advise

Thanks

show us the link

paper value is only 20k thereabouts. u paying 15k for body, which is close to the omv. definitely not worth it. then again, i could be mistaken with my calculations.

Bro, please be extra mindful of the recent flooding incident. Bet many people will be trying to offload their cars in the market...

Hi

Please advise

Thanks

COE left 8820.Paper value 11358.Next year Nov Paper value 10600.For now 8820 + 11358 is 20178.take 35800 - 20178,the body + seller comission is 15622.Too high a value in my opinion.They take in these car at 3 to 4k body value.their return is around 10k.I know they're in business.But this is too overprice.For this kind of mileage,give it a miss.All the rubber seal on doors,sound proofing all falling apart for this age.No point buying and end up paying another thousand or so to maintain it.If can,slash the price by 3 to 4k.Ask for new tyres,check for accident and servicing records.

Neutral Newbie

I am also in the same shoe.... so still rather confuse of such calculation.

May I know how the paper value is work out ?

I understand the remaining COE is 6years/10years X $14700 = $8820/-

Neutral Newbie

am considerling less than 2 years old car.... What U guys think of these.... ?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...473&DL=2054

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...060&DL=1141

Also what are the major risk/s involved in buying Used Car, and what to look out for ? Used Car via PI bring in SG, are them of higher risk/s, eg Warranty ?

Sorry Thread Starter for highjacking with these question.

Agreed. How to bargain such discount? Many dealers I 've met seemed to be able to hold.

act until you very interested.Bring a calculator with you,do a sum and tell him in the face,"Bro,i think the price I pay,next year straight I lose 10k,I come walk here to get lower depreciation car,you like that quote,I can walk down the street go AD buy car,since AD also earn 10k a car,but they got warranty and new car."Straight quote him a price,use the paper value + body value,add a few 3 to 4k,tell him change tire and no admin fee.This is impt,no admin fee,some will kei siao and end up ask for admin fee.This is not a must,so get a black and white.if he don't budge,walk away.no point to talk on,he'll hold you back and quote you another price.Slash until you happy.I ever walk UBI automart,saw a Lancer Ex,quite interested,on the spot slash 4k and the dealer straight away ok.But I didnt buy,that time car price super low.

Edited by Passion
↡ Advertisement