What's with that Navy recruitment ad?

Nostalgia

Just had a look at the Navy recruitment ad running on TV..... can't quite put my finger on what they're trying to say....

So a Navy captain's allowed to violate all OpSec rules, take pictures of and write about military equipment, exercises, even elite combat units and the submarine.....and worse, bring the private journal out of camp and lose it, and we should all be glad he recovered it? [laugh] Who reviewed and approved the advertising company's proposal?

Edited by Nostalgia
↡ Advertisement

actually nothing much shown in the advert.

Haha just sharing some thoughts. Anyway my point wasn't about the ad itself showing sensitive stuff. It was about what was supposed to be in that journal.

dont be so sensitive man.

actually nothing much shown in the advert.

the subs are not classified anyway, same goes to the SWG guys.

have not caught it on tv yet. Never watch local channel for some time, wait, i dun watch tv most of my time.

The only LCD i face is my lappie. ha.

Got subs and all? Huge production budget.

Whats SWG? Submarine something something?

have not caught it on tv yet. Never watch local channel for some time, wait, i dun watch tv most of my time.

The only LCD i face is my lappie. ha.

Got subs and all? Huge production budget.

of cos you don't watch tv most of the time as you are busy watching fishes in the water my friend.

lastly SWG - sierra whisky golf. [:p]

watching fishes in the water.

Being watched like fishes in a pond feels more like it.

Watch the counters the whole morning and found nothing interesting today...waste my time.

Why cannot write a blog abt it??? The weapons and all can be found in Jane's Fighting Ships. Only those more sensitive area cannot take pics. When we go overseas, we are allowed to bring camera onboard. I have tons of pics during my tour of duty. :D

Never really see the ad leh, so dunno wat u talking abt.

But truth be told, there's only very little that cannot be disclosed. A lot of the things in the SAF are common knowledge that can be Googled. We're not the only armed forces in the world, you know.

Special Warfare Group.

Its the Navy equivalent of SOF. Vocational allowance slightly less than SOF counterparts though.

SWG = Special Warfare Group. Easily found by googling, and the info directs you to a Navy News article on the NDU (Naval Diving Unit) SWG.

Most of these things are open domain, so it's no big deal discussing it on open fora. I see some weird posts cautioning things like "Bro, don't mention all these things, never know who's looking at this thread." IMHO, these people are being overly melodramatic, since most of the info in the thread is of a non-sensitive nature, and is probably already in the public domain.

The military itself is somewhat guilty of over-dramatisation, for instance by overclassifying everything. For instance, even an SAF menu will often be made "Restricted". What, don't want OpFor knowing what's for makan, issit? This sort of document should properly be made "Unclassified" but the latter "non-classification" is almost never officially used for some strange reason. Making something "Restricted" automatically brings it under the ambit of the OSA, but is this really appropriate, when these documents are often shown to civilian contractors and people are even allowed to bring them home? Before anyone becomes holier-than-thou about my last comment, all the NSmen know damn-well this sort of thing often happens, and it's completely innocuous, often even necessary.

The rote overclassification means that, often, only when something becomes "Confidential", is it likely to contain something worth protecting. Stuff that's "Secret" and above are definitely sensitive and that's the sort of thing that should never be reproduced in public.

Edited by Turboflat4

Why cannot write a blog abt it??? The weapons and all can be found in Jane's Fighting Ships. Only those more sensitive area cannot take pics. When we go overseas, we are allowed to bring camera onboard. I have tons of pics during my tour of duty. :D

It is not allowed somehow. A particular Alex who compiled the list of NS folks who died also kana DB, which these info are available online. :ph34r:

When he posted some stuff on their forum, a RC member somehow kw this and posted online.

↡ Advertisement