Another YPAP saga - Eunos grassroot leader Sear Hock Rong

Curahee

Actually Grassroot leaders are like PAP fans club of couse they worship PAP lah.

That is why they joing GRC as grassroot leaders mah. so their comment is not a surprise one lah.

Edited by Joseph22

Seems like recently YPAP lots of hooha going on.. Are they trying to get people to notice them?

=============

Trying to boost their flagging membership maybe?

Got to replace all those who leave.

Seems like recently YPAP lots of hooha going on.. Are they trying to get people to notice them?

symptoms of GE coming?? trying to score points??

The protocol set by government is when conflict of interests (COI) arise, the person concern is suppose to sit out of the voting committee and sign a declaration. As long as the party concern do these 2 steps, they are safe from CPIB.

But the problem lies in people within the voting committee are still people who he knows and people who works under him since they are still grassroots members of the same branch.

Sense anything fishy here?

Edited by Johorat

acutally those 2 YPAP are very silly. if want to do this kinda thing do mega million dollar deals lah. do this kinda peanut funeral blankets and education business. hardly even sme turnover, more like micro penny tuckshop business. like that quality also can become grassroot leaders?

Turbocharged

Do also remember that there is no indication (at this point) that there is anything amiss or any wrong doing.

It may be that he give discount to those committees, it may be that he simply match lowest quote, or maybe he totally excuse himself from all the discussions throughout the entire decision process. Perhaps he do at his cost.

I agree it looks mighty fishy, and it would be good to investigate, but there may be no wrong doing at all.

I also sit on my RC, and I work for an events company. Should they be doing an event and want event support of course I ask the company I work for to quote, of course I also abstain from voting, and declare my interest and I would take the further step of asking my company to give ;lower price. There is nothing inherently wrong with that - only if use the position to unfairly influence vote or to inflate the price.

A lot of people join RCs with the purpose of soliciting business for their own interest.

and for season parkings as well as increase chances of sending their kids to a prefered Pri School

But of cos there are those who join with the simple mindset of volunteering and giving back to the society

Turbocharged

A lot of people join RCs with the purpose of soliciting business for their own interest.

Yes, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that, unless or until it negatively impacts the RC in terms of lower quality, less service, higher price etc. To suggest otherwise totally belies the point of networking. In the course of my work I may also join groups like commerce commissions, trade clubs etc etc - this is out of commercial interest as much as altruism.

If, as part of my marketing effort I think that joining the RC is the way to work, then that's my decision.

At the end of the day, there are how many hundreds of event agencies in Singapore? (I don't know, but I know there are well over 100 registered PR agencies and over 200 registered ad agencies). Now if I think that by joining the RC I can introduce my agency then all well and good - so long as in all other respects the decision of which agency to use is a "fair fight".

Now of course if I use my position on the RC to unfairly or wrongly influence the committee towards my company that's a different matter, and it is always wrong.

and for season parkings as well as increase chances of sending their kids to a prefered Pri School

But of cos there are those who join with the simple mindset of volunteering and giving back to the society

simple mindset of giving back society? then they sld spend more time on non-profit orgs, not some RCs..

Turbocharged

simple mindset of giving back society? then they sld spend more time on non-profit orgs, not some RCs..

Why? Is there some sort of arbiter of what is the "right" kind of volunteer work to be doing and what is the "right" way to be a part of the community?

oh well... that's their choice lah. Better than me who is not doing anything. hahaha

Edited by Altivo

Neutral Newbie

Do also remember that there is no indication (at this point) that there is anything amiss or any wrong doing.

It may be that he give discount to those committees, it may be that he simply match lowest quote, or maybe he totally excuse himself from all the discussions throughout the entire decision process. Perhaps he do at his cost.

I agree it looks mighty fishy, and it would be good to investigate, but there may be no wrong doing at all.

I also sit on my RC, and I work for an events company. Should they be doing an event and want event support of course I ask the company I work for to quote, of course I also abstain from voting, and declare my interest and I would take the further step of asking my company to give ;lower price. There is nothing inherently wrong with that - only if use the position to unfairly influence vote or to inflate the price.

I believe you have attended those RC monthly meeting.

I feel most of their meeting very pro-gahmen. Currently they are trying hard to integrate the FT with lots of heavily subsidised activites (etc floor party, excursions etc)

All the activities (for locals & FT), seems to aim to please the MP, to make him look good on the record (aka wayang)

and those who attended the activities are mostly own members & families, FTs, old folks, or call upon members from other zones to support. The local residences (working adults) hardly bothers, unless got free buffet or handout $$$.

I feel they are not really representing the local residents. I hardly see them, in fact I don't know their face, unless got MP door to door visits.

I guess you a FT too? what's your agenda??? [sly]

Edited by Angmokio

Turbocharged

I believe you have attended those RC monthly meeting.

I feel most of their meeting very pro-gahmen. Currently they are trying hard to integrate the FT with lots of activites (etc floor party, excursions etc)

most activities seems to aim to please the MP, to make him look good on the record (aka wayang)

and most who attended the activities are mostly own members & families, or call upon members from other zones to support. The real residences hardly bothers, unless got free buffet or handsout.

I feel they are not really representing the local residents.

I guess you a FT too? what's your agenda???

Well I am Foreign (PR) but I am not so sure about the talent part of it. I have said this often here and have never hidden the fact. If you wanna go search my posts my reasons for being here are very in the open and I am very upfront about the whole matter. But what does FT or non FT got to do with it? I am still a part of my community, and "the community" is what the resident's committee was formed to serve.

Yes I do attend the monthly meetings, and given that we ultimately "report" to the MPs they do tend to support govt agenda. Having said this, a very genuine effort is made to cater to the interests of residents - that's why "they" (TPTB) look for all groups to be part of the committee.

The RC that I am a part of organises (for instance, and this is just a sample)

a) a gardening corner

b) a herb interest group

c) cooking classes

d) Indian dance classes

e) Karate classes

f) Road trips (eg: durain tasting, fruit picking)

g) Festivals and parties (Just the other day I was out selling tickets to those in my block for a New Year Party, and also collecting feedback on what activities residents would like to see)

Recently the committee arranged a Christmas Party - this was very well attended (by general residents, not just friends and family of RC)

My Agenda? Committee Chairman asked me to join, I wasn't doing any other "community activities" so I thought I should step up and do something, other than that, no "agenda". I like to do some sort of community work, at least this way what I do goes directly back to the place where I am living (i.e my own block). I also thought that there was certain things I would like to see happening in the estate and I thought that if I was a part of the committee then I might be able to help bring them about.

Currently they are trying hard to integrate the FT with lots of activites (etc floor party, excursions etc) - of course they are, given the proportion of "new" citizens and PR, it is very important that "they" (we?) are "integrated" to a Singapore way of life, are introduced to their (our) neighbours and neighbourhoods and become a part of their communities. What would you rather the RC is doing? That they ostracise PR and new citizens and deliberately cordon them from the community so that we end up with racial divide, enclaves and racial unrest like what happened with the race riots a few years ago in London*?

While I was visiting my neighbours last week, I also got a few bits of feedback that I will be raising at the next meeting, one of which is for a cycling interest group.

We are also trying to arrange for inline skating tuition for those that are interested - would you be suggesting that these activities are not "worth while" and do not interest the "normal" residents?

Naturally, if you feel that your own RC is not doing the "right" thing, then I would really urge you to join, and become a part of the decision making process and help to bring forward the activities that you would like to see. The RC is a little bit different to political party, you do not have to put up money as deposit etc - its just a group of residents, (your neighbours) sitting around and discussing what they would like to see within their estate.

*if memory serves, I need to google and check, there was a significant rampage by Vietnamese community abt differences of opportunities, gangs, unemployment etc triggered in part that there were / are significant immigrant groups that have never properly "integrated" to an English way of life - lingusitically, socially and culturally

↡ Advertisement