Engine Oil Change - Vacuum or Drip Method?

Vinceng

Be careful as the oil would be quite hot (you can feel it in the tubes sucking the oil), cool the engine down further if too hot. Remember to open the oil cap before extracting.

And when reverse pump to pump out the old oil from the extractor, don't pump too much pressure in case the tube gets dislodged with messy, oily consequences. Don't ask me how I know...... [laugh]

LOL.
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

have you done your oil change? any updates?

Hi, thanks for asking and sorry for the late reply. And yes, I've done that, and everything went smoothly.

Day 1

First I've added Liqui Moly injection cleaner additive to my fuel. The plan was to clean injectors before I change the oil to lower possibility of leaking fuel to my new oil because of stuck injectors. I gave it one day to mix with the fuel and do it's job while I'm driving.

Note: I've also changed my spark plugs few weeks ago as when the fuel mixture inside the cylinder chamber won’t ignite correctly the fuel can flow down into the oil pan.

Day 2

Drive the car - 15 minutes. Poor the JLM engine flush and idle for 15 minutes. They say "For a better cleaning result, vary the rpm at times within these 15 minutes". I've done that. Then something happened and I had to leave the car for a two hours. When I came back I didn't want to turn the engine on again to warm the oil for easier extraction because it would probably spread the garbage through the engine parts again. The price - it took about 75 minutes for a four liters to extract with the vacuum pump. But I'm OK with that. Next - added new oil (Castrol Edge 5w30 LL III) plus Liqui Moly anti-friction additive. Drive the car - 45 minutes. Everything good, it's quiet and healthy.

Next morning: check oil level - OK. Check engine sound - smooth. [;)]

Edited by maya77

(edited)

Hi, thanks for asking and sorry for the late reply. And yes, I've done that, and everything went smoothly.

Day 1

First I've added Liqui Moly injection cleaner additive to my fuel. The plan was to clean injectors before I change the oil to lower possibility of leaking fuel to my new oil because of stuck injectors. I gave it one day to mix with the fuel and do it's job while I'm driving.

Note: I've also changed my spark plugs few weeks ago as when the fuel mixture inside the cylinder chamber won’t ignite correctly the fuel can flow down into the oil pan.

Day 2

Drive the car - 15 minutes. Poor the JLM engine flush and idle for 15 minutes. They say "For a better cleaning result, vary the rpm at times within these 15 minutes". I've done that. Then something happened and I had to leave the car for a two hours. When I came back I didn't want to turn the engine on again to warm the oil for easier extraction because it would probably spread the garbage through the engine parts again. The price - it took about 75 minutes for a four liters to extract with the vacuum pump. But I'm OK with that. Next - added new oil (Castrol Edge 5w30 LL III) plus Liqui Moly anti-friction additive. Drive the car - 45 minutes. Everything good, it's quiet and healthy.

Next morning: check oil level - OK. Check engine sound - smooth. [;)]

Glad to hear that. i change engine oil that day. and decided to use drain method instead. because i wanted to change out my drain plug to magnet type and also the crush washer. i use amsoil 5w30 though. car very smooth and responsive.

The bad news is my ac compressor is making noise. i think bearing kaput soon. anyway have bought a brand new compressor which arrives today. monday will get it fixed up at workshop.

Edited by StreamRSZ

Supercharged
(edited)

wife said tomorrow go shopping so I got to do the servicing tonight...

210,000km Service B

- open engine cover

- remove air filter housing

- clean up the debris at the bottom of the airbox

- suck out engine oil

- replace oil filter and o-rings

- torque up the oil filter housing to 25Nm

- reinstall air filter housing (with new air filter of course)

- fill up engine oil

- put back the engine cover

start engine, check for leaks and others, clean up a bit, gao dim

post-2022-0-44879500-1562346547_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-20387100-1562346640_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-30298900-1562347028_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-79121700-1562347089_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-59560900-1562347205_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-12721800-1562347214_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-25741800-1562347320_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-82253500-1562347414_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-44451200-1562347422_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-95096600-1562347448_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-67389400-1562347562_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-42721300-1562347617_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-77944200-1562347644_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phang
  • Praise 6

Supercharged

Wah you go jungle paktor? So many leaves in the air box....

that's a lot of rubbish sucked up in 30,000km right....

I actually examined those leave and flowers, there are from the raintrees which are common on Singapore roads

I vacuum the debris in the air box every time I change the air filter, hoping one day I will see money inside but so far it never happened

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

that's a lot of rubbish sucked up in 30,000km right....

I actually examined those leave and flowers, there are from the raintrees which are common on Singapore roads

I vacuum the debris in the air box every time I change the air filter, hoping one day I will see money inside but so far it never happened

How long to extract the 6L of oil? I bought the extractor 2years ago and never used. Still brand new in box. Kinda lazy and also scared it takes too long.

And ya. 30k km is a good interval to change air filter. Dirty enough. 20k is maybe 60-70% clogged based on visual inspection. Have tested this out over a few different vehicles.

Wah you go jungle paktor? So many leaves in the air box....

Air intake for merc is straight in front. For sure will suck in lots of leaves and especially bugs if you go NSHW. Edited by Mkl22

Supercharged

How long to extract the 6L of oil? I bought the extractor 2years ago and never used. Still brand new in box. Kinda lazy and also scared it takes too long.

And ya. 30k km is a good interval to change air filter. Dirty enough. 20k is maybe 60-70% clogged based on visual inspection. Have tested this out over a few different vehicles.

Air intake for merc is straight in front. For sure will suck in lots of leaves and especially bugs if you go NSHW.

about 2~3 minutes, most likely shorter than that

it depends on the oil temperature, the size of the hose you chose (vitagen straw vs bubble tea straw) and the strength of the vacuum (number of strokes you pump)

Supercharged
(edited)

yes, got to reset the service reminder else it will nags me worse than my late mother in law

post-2022-0-76457600-1562390867_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-52581200-1562390891_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phang

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Can i check if it is normal to use oil cleaner before changing oil? 

Mercedes cycle and carriage charges this DPS oil cleaner in the service package (addition to the package A). It is those pour into engine and leave it running for few minutes before draining the oil. a quick google on DPS brings me to this website (dubious product)

http://www.dpsmotoroil.com/single-product.php?id=10

In addition, Mercedes also charges for Fuel additives during servicing, cleaning agent and some Sundry item. 

First time  a dealer charges and uses fuel additives to customers. 

Some of the items sound like snake oil but it is C&C. I emailed Daimler AG but they redirected the email to C&C. 

Edited by Rayleewl

Can i check if it is normal to use oil cleaner before changing oil? 

Mercedes cycle and carriage charges this DPS oil cleaner in the service package (addition to the package A). It is those pour into engine and leave it running for few minutes before draining the oil. a quick google on DPS brings me to this website (dubious product)

http://www.dpsmotoroil.com/single-product.php?id=10

In addition, Mercedes also charges for Fuel additives during servicing, cleaning agent and some Sundry item. 

First time  a dealer charges and uses fuel additives to customers. 

Some of the items sound like snake oil but it is C&C. I emailed Daimler AG but they redirected the email to C&C. 

Can always ask them whether these items are recommended by Mercedes AG?

If not, why are they pour it into your Merc?

Daimler AG will not reply you as it is the dealer responsibility.

Accordingly, you should sent your email to C&C.

If you don't like their answer, send to Merc Asia.

• Praise 1

Some car workshops use the vacuum method to suck out the engine oil from the dip stick hole.

Is this an effective method of removing sludge from the old engine oil?

Or is the convenntional method of allowing the engine oil to drip from the undercarriage a more effective method of removing the majority of the old engine oil?

Actually, my father used to do the same method for taking out the oil as its a traditional one.

Turbocharged
(edited)

yes, got to reset the service reminder else it will nags me worse than my late mother in law

So the service interval is 12 mths or 15,000km, whichever comes first?

Better than normal Jap and Korean cars where the service interval is 6mths or 10,000km, whichever comes first.

Edited by Vinceng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1