McDonald's zodiac promo missing 1 animal. Guess which?

Ahtong

McDonald's takes the charm out of Doraemon series

MCDONALD'S started a Doraemon lucky charm series recently with each lucky charm sold at $2 if one orders a set meal. My two-year-old daughter is a Doraemon fan and can sing the song whenever she sees the cartoon cat.

Thinking of getting four Doraemon lucky charms representing the Chinese zodiac signs of my family - Tiger, Rabbit, Pig and Ox - I visited the McDonald's outlet in Tampines Mall on Monday. The idea was to display them during Chinese New Year.

After I bought the Tiger and Rabbit lucky charms, I scanned the series and realised one animal was missing from the 12 signs - the Pig. Instead, McDonald's had a Cupid Doraemon.

I could understand why Cupid was there as the first day of Chinese New Year happens to be Valentine's Day. But why should the Pig be missing from the series since all other 11 animals (even the mythical dragon) are included?

Puzzled, I asked the counter staff. The answer surprised me even more: As a halal restaurant, McDonald's could not display or sell Pig soft toys.

I understand that we need to respect our Muslim citizens as Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural society. Halal food establishments must meet the criteria set by the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis) to be certified as such. I also understand why some restaurants do not allow dogs on their premises as it may offend Muslim diners.

I have Muslim friends and when I invite them for a meal, I make sure I have a halal food option. If I dine with them, I avoid ordering pork dishes too.

However, in this case, the Pig is one of the Chinese zodiac signs - part of Chinese culture and customs - and it is just a soft toy, not food.

Will the sight of a Doraemon collectible Pig soft toy offend anyone? Was the decision based on a recommendation from Muis?

I have given up collecting the lucky charms because my girl was born in the Year of the Pig and she has no 'luck' in getting her Doraemon charm.

Pauline Koh (Ms)

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

aiyah...but if mcd hv the pig zodiac...then some muslim fella will write in to say y mcd not sensitive to muslims.

we can nvr satisfy everyone.but...i'm sure mcd wont want to lose its halal certification. so play safe.

Neutral Newbie

i hate discrimination... that is why i have boycotted halal eating places

i know it sounds funny but thats how it is. it is like fighting a war because you don't like wars. it is like discriminating because you hate discrimination.

the muslims don't eat food made by other races but other races are all actually not particular about this whole thing. for an example if ten of us are looking for a place to eat and one is a muslim everyone would automatically choose a halal place to eat. i will ask them to go fly kite and go my own way. even when catering when company announces proudly to us not to worry all food are halal then i will raise my hand and tell them that halal food goes against my religion and i cannot consume it (same reasons muslims give so i don't see anything wrong with it).

My opinion is McDonalds lost the plot. This promotion is targeted towards one particular group but they censored it so as not to offend another group.

The culture of the holiday should take precedence. Everyone take turns to show tolerance.

i know it sounds funny but thats how it is. it is like fighting a war because you don't like wars. it is like discriminating because you hate discrimination.

the muslims don't eat food made by other races but other races are all actually not particular about this whole thing. for an example if ten of us are looking for a place to eat and one is a muslim everyone would automatically choose a halal place to eat. i will ask them to go fly kite and go my own way. even when catering when company announces proudly to us not to worry all food are halal then i will raise my hand and tell them that halal food goes against my religion and i cannot consume it (same reasons muslims give so i don't see anything wrong with it).

haha... actually rest with this sign dont taste good too... [thumbsdown]

.... even when catering when company announces proudly to us not to worry all food are halal then i will raise my hand and tell them that halal food goes against my religion and i cannot consume it (same reasons muslims give so i don't see anything wrong with it).

Hehehe good one... same thing for the vegetarians.

You can choose to eat your vegies but we will still go to restaurants that serves meat.

Turbocharged

i'm a muslim myself...n i definitely wont get offended if they r too sell the pig zodiac. it's made to look cute wif a doraemon face...so i dont see anything wrong wif that.

Neutral Newbie

What religion are u that muslim food are against u? Anyway for my case, i rather go to a hawker with a wide variety of food to choose so no body need to compromise themselves, I'm a vegetarian but i dun like ppl to compromise their eating habit juz becos i'm eating together with them, i rather find my own place to eat than they following me.

Juz my worthless opinion. Anyway the toy is juz a gimmick by Mcd, why ppl get so worked up over it is really surprising.

Neutral Newbie

Hehehe good one... same thing for the vegetarians.

You can choose to eat your vegies but we will still go to restaurants that serves meat.

Best is not to eat together so no one feels unhappy [;)] , u eat ur meat, they eat their veg.

in the first place, why did Mac bother to launch such a promo if they are worried about offending a particular religion. Seems like they slapped themselves instead

Neutral Newbie

What religion are u that muslim food are against u? Anyway for my case, i rather go to a hawker with a wide variety of food to choose so no body need to compromise themselves, I'm a vegetarian but i dun like ppl to compromise their eating habit juz becos i'm eating together with them, i rather find my own place to eat than they following me.

Juz my worthless opinion. Anyway the toy is juz a gimmick by Mcd, why ppl get so worked up over it is really surprising.

im a free thinker. for an example my mom goes to indian temples, chinese temples, churches and she kinda believes in all gods. therefore any religion which "discriminates" is like going against my "religion"

hmm... who is worked up over the doraemon toys?

Neutral Newbie

Then, McDonald's should replace the "DOG" zodiac, cos our Muslim friends cannot touch dogs.

What is McDonald's thinking? [hur]

in the first place, why did Mac bother to launch such a promo if they are worried about offending a particular religion. Seems like they slapped themselves instead

My guess is that only one or two people in Mac made that decision...trying to be too clever. [laugh]

Same. Thats why I refuse to eat at Banquet. If we continue to be a push over, soon there will be no more food courts selling Bak Kut Teh or Bak Chor Mee. Then the only time you get to eat your simple bowl of Bak Chor Mee will be in a restaurant for like $5, as this kinda food will become specialty and sold in shop all by itself. By allowing Banquet to operate, we are going against racial and religious tolerance. Govt should shut them down. Else why have ethnic quota in HDB?

Edited by Silver_z