Almost lost control! what's wrong with the brakes??

Hi bros.. yday i was jammed in the expressway during peak hours.. and road condition was wet cos just stopped raining.. when the car in front of me moved further the gap opened in front of me.. so i picked up speed from 20kmh to abt 50kmh.. of cos keeping a safety distance. the car in front suddenly jammed brake.. i quickly braked hard too..

at dis moment i felt brake was working.. but i felt and heard sounds like 'klog klog klog' continuously at the front wheel.. the brake seemed working but the car did not stop and further travelled few metres more with the sound.. i felt like losing traction.. i dunno what's wrong.. been driving for so many years i think it is very ignorant of me to not know what actually was wrong.

could anyone advise what actually went wrong? isit brake pads worn out? brakes not working? road wet? and where did the klog sound come from? i suddenly dun dare travel in lane 1.. cos i dunno when this might happen and dunno the next time this happens how long a distance my car will keep moving before coming to a complete stop.. [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

Hi bros.. yday i was jammed in the expressway during peak hours.. and road condition was wet cos just stopped raining.. when the car in front of me moved further the gap opened in front of me.. so i picked up speed from 20kmh to abt 50kmh.. of cos keeping a safety distance. the car in front suddenly jammed brake.. i quickly braked hard too..

at dis moment i felt brake was working.. but i felt and heard sounds like 'klog klog klog' continuously at the front wheel.. the brake seemed working but the car did not stop and further travelled few metres more with the sound.. i felt like losing traction.. i dunno what's wrong.. been driving for so many years i think it is very ignorant of me to not know what actually was wrong.

could anyone advise what actually went wrong? isit brake pads worn out? brakes not working? road wet? and where did the klog sound come from? i suddenly dun dare travel in lane 1.. cos i dunno when this might happen and dunno the next time this happens how long a distance my car will keep moving before coming to a complete stop.. [sweatdrop]

happens when you jam brake too hard...... cuz not enough grip, duno is ABS anot....

[pirate] Hail to thee! Brother in metal! [pirate]

actually, i donno the answer [blush]

[wave] but Hi anyway! [wave]

did you feel vibrations and pulses from your brake pedal? If yes, it's ABS kicking in

my first impression is abs but the car travelled a few metres before stopping. 50kmph, i tink can stop quite short? with abs, it should stop even shorter than no abs for normal road?

Edited by Arowana1

[pirate] Hail to thee! Brother in metal! [pirate]

hahahaa 4k plus postings still clocking posts! hahahaa.. hi hi metalhead..

actually, i donno the answer [blush]

[wave] but Hi anyway! [wave]

did you feel vibrations and pulses from your brake pedal? If yes, it's ABS kicking in

yeah i felt the vibrations.. it's like something went loose and hitting the area in continuous rhythm n motion..

You are lucky yr ride's ABS is in perfect working condtion, but please do check yr tyre treads and brake pads for wear and galzing. And slo yr brake fluid for moisture %

Neutral Newbie

Confirm ABS...

But if cannot stop in time try *KBS sure will stop but confirm spend a lot of money on repairing.... (Joking)

KBS = Kerb Braking System

no doubt it's 'safer' than a car without, but dun let abs give u the false sense of security that you can stop in time no matter what speed u're travelling at.

abs minimize the chance that ur wheels will lock up upon hard braking, and control ur car better when the need arises.

oh so it's the abs that kicked in? supposed to be safer? it made me have cold sweat...

my first impression is abs but the car travelled a few metres before stopping. 50kmph, i tink can stop quite short? with abs, it should stop even shorter than no abs.

abs is to prevent wheel locking and hence skidding. i read in my physics textbook that professional drivers can have a shorter braking distance in non abs cars then normal drivers in abs cars.

Edited by Tinydog
↡ Advertisement