SAF Urban Legends

Sleepyman

I think that was a different incident. The shooting incidents took part earlier circa 1992. I was a recruit too during that time. There were 2 incidents which stood out for their seriousness and subsequent aftermath. During that time Tekong was still considered 'no man's land', the instructors were king and the camp CO was a non believing guy and didn't allow offerings or prayers for you know what. As follows:

1) In my recruit platoon, we too had a mummy's boy type except that he was really trying very hard to fit in and all of us were also trying hard to help him in his training and overall outlook. Nevetheless, he found the going pretty tough and had a rough time trying to learn. Anyway at the last shoot of BMT, my platoon mate was the fella who left a round in the chamber of his M16 and accidentally shot another recruit while forming up at the 100m range. He had left a round in after getting an IA for his last 300m run. For no apparent reason he squeezed trigger marching to the butt. The guy who was shot was lucky to survive as it was point blank but crippled for life. Thank goodness for FAD. The recruit who shot him was charged with negligence. Both discharged from Army. I confirm as I had to be witness for the trial. Following this incidents, safety directive was passed where IA and clearing of rifles was done without magazines to prevent accidental chambering of rounds as it was concluded that the round was in the magazine when he cocked, check clear his rifle.

2) Incident 2 took place one month after that. This I heard from the investigating officer while attending to the first incident. There was a recruit who was not allowed to return home for the weekend as it was his turn for guard duty. Even though his grandmother passed away and he wanted to attend her funeral but was not allowed by the duty officer. Worse still was the officer went and tekan the guards later by turning them out many times during the night. During the next range shoot, the recruit intentionally kept missing so as to get the officers attention. He turned the m16 at the officer and was threatening to shoot. The 'garang' officer tried to talk him out of it by going closer but was shot in the chest as he approached. The guy then blew his brains out next. That's all I know.

did the garang officer died? was the garang officer also the duty officer on the guard duty you mentioned?

↡ Advertisement

Did happen one afternoon on 1st July 94. 30SCE, HQ blk.

One soldier blew his brains out in the bunk with a M16 by putting the muzzle beneath his chin in front of his S4. Left grey matter on the ceiling.

Oh yes, I just ROD and my friend was still in camp, told me exactly what happened, including official reports. I knew the driver too, though not very close.

no night training as in out-of-camp, e.g. go into the jungle or on top of botak hill .....

not just camping behind the bunks or in the parade square.....

Yes, of cos i meant out-of-camp trainings. I just had an ICT and did a night mission on a thurs on Tekong.

Oh yes, I just ROD and my friend was still in camp, told me exactly what happened, including official reports. I knew the driver too, though not very close.

Yep, a driver and the S4 wanted to charge him or something. Managed to get a 5.56 back to camp (okay, for all of us who've been there, its not that difficult).

I was directly opposite the bunk at that time. Around 2 or 3pm, i think, smoking along the corridor. Waiting to go down for SAF Day parade.

Then there was a 'bang' coming from the bunk. My thoughts at that time was "siao liao, who discharge firearm in camp? Duty all the way." Then many people ran towards the block. Parade was cancelled.

SIB came, no one can book out. Turn out the whole battalion and searched everywhere for ammo. It was Friday and alot of us panicked, thinking that we might not get to book out that weekend.

Did happen one afternoon on 1st July 94. 30SCE, HQ blk.

One soldier blew his brains out in the bunk with a M16 by putting the muzzle beneath his chin in front of his S4. Left grey matter on the ceiling.

This one I can verified as I heard the gunshot from my bunk on that fateful day. The poor guy who committed suicide was a regular driver for my company. Heard he got into some road accident involving his 3-tonner and was about to be charged. That time I thought some joker might have left a bullet after a live firing exercise and have accidentally fired the round during the rifle clearing drill at the parade square.

Supercharged

this particular story confirmed true, coz i just ROD at that time and i was from Provost and my fellow friends in SIB had to do alot of investigations and interviews for this case. It was a big hoohaa case at that time....

and its possible to shoot yrself with M16.

another case was at another firing range, the soldier took his M16 and left a live round inside, went to firing range toilet and shot his own head there..... I can't remember which year and which range was this already....

This one I can verified as I heard the gunshot from my bunk on that fateful day. The poor guy who committed suicide was a regular driver for my company. Heard he got into some road accident involving his 3-tonner and was about to be charged. That time I thought some joker might have left a bullet after a live firing exercise and have accidentally fired the round during the rifle clearing drill at the parade square.

which coy were u in? i was in Bravo

Neutral Newbie

The shooting of PC incident was around Sep 1993. I was enlisted on the 1st Sep 1993 into Dragon/Delta company in camp 1 which is my very 1st day in "devil island", my platoon mates were talking about this shooting case and we thought, ho say liao, we will not get tekan......... but we still get it after all :D

By the way, this shooting fiasco was from Alpha company.

Yes, this one was true. I can confirm it cause I was one of the medical personnels who attended to the case. Went thru a hell lot of BOIs and COIs after that.

Don't want to go into much details but in summary:

PC over-tekan recruit -> recruit shot officer at range -> recruit shot himself.

PC brought to medical centre but didn't make it. Recruit already died on the spot.

Actually, there was 1 other less-serious gunshot incident right before this but was not made known to public. PM me if you're keen to know more.

Neutral Newbie

this particular story confirmed true, coz i just ROD at that time and i was from Provost and my fellow friends in SIB had to do alot of investigations and interviews for this case. It was a big hoohaa case at that time....

and its possible to shoot yrself with M16.

another case was at another firing range, the soldier took his M16 and left a live round inside, went to firing range toilet and shot his own head there..... I can't remember which year and which range was this already....

it Maju Camp range, happens before 1993 , my Ambulance driver was 'T-Loan' out for that range event.

As usual Solider kena terkan until cannot tahan...sad case.

Edited by Gh05tss

There is one more I heard from commando, way back during the old commando camp. It is said that every year there must be a fatal accident and 1 commando will die but there was one time 3 years in a roll one fatal accident happen but during the end of the 3rd yr 3 commondo died during a heli repelling exercise the 4th repeller was safe by the Seg or PC (not very clear here) by graping onto the repelling rope bcos the 4th repeller is a bit slow to rope down.

The accident happen bcos the safety catch was not catched on the repelling rope.

Anyone from that generation?

put rifle under chin, pointing upwards, possible?

if fingers cannot reach, can use third leg to squeeze trigger....

Should be possible since a guard comm committed suicide this way in Selarang Camp using this method.

put rifle under chin, pointing upwards, possible?

if fingers cannot reach, can use third leg to squeeze trigger....

Dunno abt SAR21 but for M16 put the barrel to your temper with your thumb around the trigger not an issue at all.

anyone at PLAB in the late 70's and early 80s...also one gunshot case

Was in Charlie in 1990. IT was a classroom with the 3rd door. This is related to the soldier that was lost during the route match. Heard body left in this bunk so spirit can go out and must open 3rd door. That was before my time. We did spend 1 night in the bunk when the bunks was renovating but nothing happen...

The other incident is the guy that was strike by lightning during ICT. It is from one of my battlion. Heard a few others near him was flunked a distance too.

Any lao-jiao who served NSF during the 80s knew about how Armour black day came about? Is this Armour black day still observe at this moment where no out-field training is plan?

↡ Advertisement