Which SAF rifle you prefer?

Picanto

SAR21 vs M16  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Rifle

• SAR21
    • M16

SAR21, only for the reason that it got me my 1st( and probably last) Section Markmanship, which means an additional $200 for that particular ICT i went for. 4 x scope, barrel mounted laser pointer (also suitable for your business Powerpoint presentation!) plus an almost recoiless fire makes this a great range weapon.

Edited by S7834g

i am not sure if i can name the rifle that i prefer, as it was one of the weapons that we used for trail before mass acquisition

With that rifle, my marksmanship score increased by more than 10%, from usual 85% to 95%

may be the reason for not acquiring that rifle in the end, is that it is too accurate, so SAF will have to pay more for giving the $200 marksmanship award[laugh]

M16, although it has more cons dan pros compared to the SAR21. Main reason coz it's lighter in weight and when you back sling your weapon while running or whatever it's kinder to your back. The SAR21 has too many bulges and the material is hard, very back breaking when carrying this weapon.

Another thing is the front grip which I find it too bulky & heavy (juz becoz of the laser pointer?). Can't they use a lighter, simpler and more compact one? Again, too many functions for the laser pointer, we can't remember which is for which, by the time we select the correct one the enemy will die laughing at us.

Selecting auto and semi-auto is situated too far out at the rifle butt. Cannot see which mode and difficult to feel by hand. SAR21 is strictly for right-hander and right master eye. If you are not one of them, good luck.

It's a more accurate weapon nonetheless but in terms of user-friendliness and ease of use in the battlefield, it sux.

Edited by Watwheels

I still prefer M16 as the put to safe and semi to auto switch is easier to locate. M16 is also more balance as in the front of the rifle is not as heavy as Sar21.

M16, although it has more cons dan pros compared to the SAR21. Main reason coz it's lighter in weight and when you back sling your weapon while running or whatever it's kinder to your back. The SAR21 has too many bulges and the material is hard, very back breaking when carrying this weapon.

Another thing is the front grip which I find it too bulky & heavy (juz becoz of the laser pointer?). Can't they use a lighter, simpler and more compact one? Again, too many functions for the laser pointer, we can't remember which is for which, by the time we select the correct one the enemy will die laughing at us.

Selecting auto and semi-auto is situated too far out at the rifle butt. Cannot see which mode and difficult to feel by hand. SAR21 is strictly for right-hander and right master eye. If you are not one of them, good luck.

It's a more accurate weapon nonetheless but in terms of user-friendliness and ease of use in the battlefield, it sux.

Wow! You said it all bro! My sentiments exactly! The SAR21 is definitely not user friendly because of it's bulk and it's weight. Yes, recoil is less than the M16, but not by very much.

Think stripping and cleaning the SAR21 is slightly easier too, less parts to dismantle. But once you've gotten used to the moving parts of the M16, it's easy as pie.

So much for new technology and all that jazz, the archaic M16 stills works best for me!! [rifle]

the M16 has been battle tested in wars. even the US army is using it. SAR 21 is supposed to be an upgrade from M16, but we dun know whether it can withstand the rigors of war fighting. as a training weapon, SAR21 is good though.

If go to war, I sure wish for a M16S1.

AR15 also can ah.

Just don't give me 1 with the M203 attached or the SAR21, SAW MK3 or MK3A.

MK2 can consider if no more M16/Carbine.

U guys see the SAR21 w/M203? Lagi funny looking with a short barrel M203.

Edited by Ruzhyo

Neutral Newbie

Carbine.... Easier to do SOC... I don't do SOC anymore nor ippt nor shooting....

Carbine is the best. I agreed. For shooting wise, its fantastic too.

M16 for me.

the ergonomics is better. Fire selector/mag release can all be easily operated with 1 hand. The traditional aiming sights also ensure the firer should have basic fundamentals in aiming. SAR21 looks space age but the scope is crap. Fogs up easily. Should the scope become unusable, the firer can't reply on the open sights at all. How to shoot?

Edited by Altivo

Neutral Newbie

SAR is more difficult to clean. Many grooves here and there where the dirt and sand reside. Has a hard time cleaning it during reservist, but luckily there never really inspect.

SAR is good for marksman, easy to aim and shot. Especially the nite shots.

↡ Advertisement