New Rims + Tires? Should I...?

Ethene

Hi guys. I bua my rims against the kerb a few days ago and scratched my rims badly. Morever my tires gonna become botak soon. I had a few options in mind and i hope to get suggestions from you guys.

My SiR is currently on 15".

I went to Chen Jin Tradings this afternoon and the boss quoted me:

1. Change new 15" rims and use back tires - $400 +

2. Change new 15" rims and new eagle F1 tires - $650 +

3. Change new 16" rims and new eagle F1 tires - $950 +

Chen Jin official website

The boss said one tire cost about $120 and I'm quite doubtful of all the pricing he quoted. So i hope to get feedback from you guys.

I personally fancy option 3 but to up 1" is additional $300 !

So which option do you think i should go for ? or should i go for option 4:

4. Repair existing rims + respray ($300 +/-)

I'm in a dilemma and hope to get useful feedback from you guys =) thanks!

For those who intend to give stupid suggestion like asking me to change car, PLEASE EXIT THIS THREAD NOW. Thank you.

Edited by Ethene
↡ Advertisement

Hi guys. I bua my rims against the kerb a few days ago and scratched my rims badly. Morever my tires gonna become botak soon. I had a few options in mind and i hope to get suggestions from you guys.

The boss said one tire cost about $120 and I'm quite doubtful of all the pricing he quoted. So i hope to get feedback from you guys.

For those who intend to give stupid suggestion like asking me to change car, PLEASE EXIT THIS THREAD NOW. Thank you.

tires is a forgone conclusion since it is gonna botak soon so might as well change it.

as for rims, it depends on can you find a rim you like? how long is your current rims? anyway i would say change rims and tires.... and 15" is good enough ba.... my euroR using 16" nia [:p]

Thanks bro for the reply.

My rims in very old and got scratches here and there liao. It's matt black so the scratches is damn obvious.

16" like looks nicer leh.

Is $120 for a pcs of tire correct price?

Thanks bro for the reply.

My rims in very old and got scratches here and there liao. It's matt black so the scratches is damn obvious.

16" like looks nicer leh.

Is $120 for a pcs of tire correct price?

then change rims ba...... since it is old maybe dented or not as round liao

$120 is for 15" or 16"?

i know toyo T1R 16" is about $160 last checked 2mths ago. Eagle F1 (thai) is about $120 if i rem correctly....last checked 1yr ago.

what is the exact size of the 15 and 16" tyre?

walk a few place and check out the prices..... option 2 seems like quite a good deal..

and for option 3, while it's a good price (depending on the type of rim given) but mind you, each inch increase in rubber size will cost you $$$, so when it come to your next change, you will find that you will have to pay more for that extra inch.

if you are concern about money, then option 2.. if budget is of constraint, keep the old rim.. coz most likely you will scratch your new rim also if you are the kind that like to mount or rub kerb...

In my opinion, option 2 seems to be the most practical way. Keep your rims and get a good set of tires.

Option 1 and option 4 are out as in my opinion, the cost doesn't really justify for it. Plus tires are your only contact on the road. Might as well invest in a good set of tires instead of saving on botak ones where yr safety and lives of other passengers are at stake.

Option 3 would be good for you if you have money. As one bro said, your rims are going to get the kerbs, scratches and dirt the moment they hit the road. Plus, your next change of tyres would be more expensive than your 15 inches. If you got money and can accept both these eventualities, then go for it.

Cheers! [wave]

i think its beta to get a good condition 2nd hand 15' rims n new set of tyres. AL Tyres at tis circuit link (opp geylang police station) is my recommendation. i trade in my stock sport rims last weekend n bought a very good hyper black sport rims fr them.. top up 200, including 20x nuts (5 holes), labour n balancing. alot of used sport rims there.... good condition one.

if u got budget.. get a 15' used rims there, ard 300 per set (w/o trade in) & a set Thunder tyres at $75 per pc. quite good review abt tis tyres lately, under mother company of Bridgestone.

good luck finding..

add on, its beta to have a new set of tyres for driving..coz its ur main contact to the ground... rims can be 2nd hand as long it looks fine w minor scratches... afterall, new ones can be scratch anytime once u drive out of the shop, isnt it?

jus my thoughts...

Bro, I have a 16" matt black Kyowa brand rim without tires for sales at $350.

The rim is dual PCD so can fit on both 4x100 and 4x114.3 car.

Condition of the rim is 9/10. View to believe.

Call or msg me at H/P: 8188 6339 to discuss.

post-30447-1264255090_thumb.jpg

other than this, you can consider 2nd hand rims and tyres, but be warned, they may be warped or cracked.

you also can source from other shops, try the famous AMK p-- ---g...

yes eagle f1 are rather expensive, and the thinner the tyres, the more expensive, exponentially...

increase the size of rims will make your tyres thinner.

or just change cheaper tyres, indonesian, thailand, korean tyres...

other than this, you can consider 2nd hand rims and tyres, but be warned, they may be warped or cracked.

you also can source from other shops, try the famous AMK p-- ---g...

yes eagle f1 are rather expensive, and the thinner the tyres, the more expensive, exponentially...

increase the size of rims will make your tyres thinner.

or just change cheaper tyres, indonesian, thailand, korean tyres...

Actually f1 gsd3 or as is not expensive compared to other brand like conti, bridgestone or mich

I think you are lucky to scratch your rims when your tyres are about to botak.

I got mine scratched when my tyres are only at 2000+km.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for my tyres to get botak before I change it as a set.

It will be much cheaper if you buy as a set.

Also, keep to 15" if you are concern with fuel consumption and tyre prices.

Like many of the bros said here, 15 and 16 inch do not make a big difference in terms of looks.

Go for 17" if you want to make your ride looks cool.

(edited)

Thanks for all the response guys [;)]

I've finally decided on a 15" rims with federal evo tires. 195/50/15, from the original 195/55/15.

They're 6+ kg each.

Total damage $615 after trade old set. $15 is for the metal tip to pump air (dunno what it's called)i.

These are some pics. ^_^

dsc0019ki.jpg

dsc0026n.jpg

Now i have one problem. The cover for the rim (middle part) comes with a sticker. But i lost 2 of the stickers...

This is why i haven put in the covers yet else beh balance!

Anyone know where can i get nice stickers for it?

Edited by Ethene
↡ Advertisement