Kitchen Cabinet

Vextan

Turbocharged

Anyone done re-laminate of kitchen cabinet before ? Any contractor to recommend ? Thanks.

I asked before and was told cost of re-laminating is only slightly cheaper than redoing the whole cabinet.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I asked before and was told cost of re-laminating is only slightly cheaper than redoing the whole cabinet.

ok thanks. i guessed it is not cheap or worth it also. but existing cabinet still in good condition, it is such a waste to discard the whole thing. donno can diy or not.

Edited by Vextan

Turbocharged

ok thanks. i guessed it is not cheap or worth it also. but existing cabinet still in good condition, it is such a waste to discard the whole thing. donno can diy or not.

I was in the same boat as you some years ago also. Maybe contractor wanted to earn the slight extra and said that to me. You should call some carpenters up and ask for clarity.

DIY definitely not possible unless you have the right tools and workshop. My cabinet was like done in the factory and then just added together on site, which took at least 1 day.

thanks guys. i have gotten two shop names which i will call to enquire. however, as kxbc said about the cost, i am not too hopeful. will update ya later.

Actually ... u can DIY laminate .... very very much cheaper

just remember to buy industry strength glue

Yes. Laminate is the easy part but removing the old laminate is the time consuming part. After that you have to sand away the gum residue leh... :D

depends on how big, I actually diy my wardrob doors (4 tall panel and 4 small panel - total height from floor to ceiling), bought the laminate material from homefix, paint the frame. took one whole day, luck thing was the width of the door not too long, the laminate paper can cover without the need to overlap!

I guess kitchen cabinet need the tougher and waterproof material.

Edited by Jman888

U are right. My suggestion below :

step 1: remove all the cabinet doors (i.e. unscrew the hinges) and rip off laminates

step 2: rip off remaining laminates on cabinet

step 3: use an electronic buffer (sandpaper kind) to lightly buff the gun residue away ... no need to be perfect ... aga aga can liao

step 4: measure the size of laminate, cut and glue the frames, followed by the detached doors.

step 5: let dry naturally ( remember don't blow dry with hairdryer - may warp the laminate)

step 6: fix doors back and work is done

about 2 days worth of effort - max

Yes. Laminate is the easy part but removing the old laminate is the time consuming part. After that you have to sand away the gum residue leh... :D

Edited by Alechi
  • Praise 1

The single colour laminate i found sold at Homefix is PVC laminate adn dont look very lasting

The type used on kitchen cabinets by contractors are call Formica?

Were can buy Formica cheaply?

Also, most carpenters wont want to help relaminate, they will just tell u to change the doors and drawers.

Neutral Newbie

formica a brand of laminate.. jus like pampers is to diapers and maggie mee is to instant noodles. the reason y carpenter dont usually help with relaminating the doors for u is bcos of the time spent on taking it off the plywood.. if he calculate the time spend n charge it to the consumers, im sure nobody will wanna pay. thats y its as good as changing new cabinets..

Neutral Newbie

formica a brand of laminate.. jus like pampers is to diapers and maggie mee is to instant noodles. the reason y carpenter dont usually help with relaminating the doors for u is bcos of the time spent on taking it off the plywood.. if he calculate the time spend n charge it to the consumers, im sure nobody will wanna pay. thats y its as good as changing new cabinets..

Agreed that work required is much more than re-install new ones. I did re-laminating of kitchen cabinet for my parents, but changed all the doors lah. took 2 days to do. Price $1.2K. Maybe to change the cabinet & table top as well will cost another $1k ...

Yes i know formica is a brand of laminate, but it is definitely a higher quality than normal PVC laminate sold in homefix right?

i see, so assuming laminate material cost is cheap, but time is more, compare to new doors and drwaers material but less time

Price:

laminate (more time+less material) = new door (less time+more material) ? Is it really same?

Formica have a showroom in Geylang iirc.

8 ft X 4Ft sheet of Formica costs S$58 again iirc.

There are many other laminate suppliers.

Three at least in Sungei Kadut

Thousands of designs.

Dam hard to choose.

But we were lucky and the MD of one of the suppliers just happened to be in the showrooms when we were there and he ran us through the easy way to make a choice.

Took about 10 minutes when previously we had spent 10 hours and were nowhere near a decision. :D

Care to share his sage advice?