Hard to engage in 1st gear after transmission oil change

Darkblue

Hi Guys,

Do you know what is the problem ? Anything wrong with gearbox, clutch or the manual transmission fluid ?

Last weekend, I went to the workshop for my 40K servicing and got my manual transmission fluid drain and re-filled.

According to the mechanic, its the same spec (but different brand) as my factory fill (W90).

However, occasionally I noticed that there are difficultly when I try to engage my into my 1st gear.

Sometimes have to force it in or re-clutch and re-engage. Changing gears also seem abit "clunky".

Strangely, 3rd, 4th & 5th gear is quite smooth.

Do you think I should change my manual transmission fluid again (to a more reputable brand) ?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

the word is notchy.... is your gear knob link to your gearbox by links???

Some of them are a direct shaft.

I want to know, when your car is still... is it easy to engage to 1st gear?

If moving, from 2nd gear dropping to 1st is hard???

If dropping to 1st gear on the move... there might be a "gate" so as to prevent it from over reving or crunching the gears.

If is at still... then is hard to engage to 1st gear... the transmission oil might be too light.

Even so the weighting is the same... different brands have different quality of lubrication....

Cheers

ADMIN or MODS~~~ I WANT THAT AVATAR TOO!!!!!

Edited by Sw20

Usually difficult to engage in 1st gear is from still...

You say, transmission oil too light... means too thin ? I was wondering whether the oil is too thick and let it shear, hoping the shifting will improve.

In this case, any solutions pls advise... thanks

Hi Guys,

Do you know what is the problem ? Anything wrong with gearbox, clutch or the manual transmission fluid ?

Last weekend, I went to the workshop for my 40K servicing and got my manual transmission fluid drain and re-filled.

According to the mechanic, its the same spec (but different brand) as my factory fill (W90).

However, occasionally I noticed that there are difficultly when I try to engage my into my 1st gear.

Sometimes have to force it in or re-clutch and re-engage. Changing gears also seem abit "clunky".

Do you think I should change my manual transmission fluid again (to a more reputable brand) ?

Thanks in advance.

Basically MT oil got two specification, GL-4 and GL-5. Which one does your car manual specify and which one did your mechanic use?

For MT oil, I would suggest Amsoil or Redline, they are reputable and works for me. Other brand I used before, the shifting is not as good, but still ok.

(edited)

Factory fill is GL-4, mechanic also uses GL-4.

In this case, should I drain the new fluid & re-fill with Amsoil ?

Edited by Darkblue

Factory fill is GL-4, mechanic also uses GL-4.

In this case, should I drain the new fluid & re-fill with Amsoil ?

Its a 50-50 chance...

I changed to amsoil transmisson fluid and it feel thinner so when

I am rolling to a stop at traffic lights in gear, it starts to judder faster

than the factory fill. I actually prefer the factory fill as the gear change

feels firmer but I wanted to use synthetic so I dun hv to change so often.

I also changed my power steering fuild at 24,000km and it was still in really good

condition so that one I think I changed too early. I think can go for at least 40,000.

I pamper my car too much! :D

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

If notchy shifting only comes after the gear oil change then high chances the problem is the oil is too thick. What car and mileage is your car and what gear oil exactly did your mechanic used?

Neutral Newbie

Darkblue paisay lompang your thread.

I also got problems with my manual trans.

As in, engaging into reverse gear abit difficult. I mean have to use abit of force sometimes, normally i go through alot of steps like. make sure car fully stop, neutral clutch out clutch in put 4th gear then push reverse will be smoother.

If not, sometimes cannot engage reverse on 1st try or will have a clank sound. All other gears ok.

Got advice? Thanks.

As in, engaging into reverse gear abit difficult. I mean have to use abit of force sometimes, normally i go through alot of steps like. make sure car fully stop, neutral clutch out clutch in put 4th gear then push reverse will be smoother.

If not, sometimes cannot engage reverse on 1st try or will have a clank sound. All other gears ok.

Got advice? Thanks.

What's the mileage & model of your car and when did you last change your gear oil?

Mitsubishi Lancer

Mileage: 40K

I was using the factory fill all along, until now....

Mechanic was using SPC Weight-90 Drum, he used a machine to pump the fluid into the gearbox.

In your opinion, how to improve shifting feel ?

My friend use RP Max-Gear, when I drove his car... was the shifting feel was superb... machiam "Daytona from arcade game".

Mitsubishi Lancer

Mechanic was using SPC Weight-90 Drum, he used a machine to pump the fluid into the gearbox.

My friend use RP Max-Gear, when I drove his car... was the shifting feel was superb... machiam "Daytona from arcade game".

Single weight w90 might be too thick and maxgear 75w90 is also on the thicker side.

Your Lancer call for 75w85 GL4, so i would recommend either Amsoil MTG 75w90(Amsoil MTG is on the thinner side of w90) or 50/50 mix of Redline MTL/MT90. This will definably improve your shifting quality.

Got advice? Thanks.

Nothing you can do about it. Maybe the link bushing has worn out.

Replacing the bushing is cheap... cost is less than $20

Make sure you don't get cheated... with labour should be about $50 all together.

Some of them are made of brass... which wears out faster... i customized mine out of alloy.

Edited by Sw20

Nothing you can do about it. Maybe the link bushing has worn out.

Replacing the bushing is cheap... cost is less than $20

Make sure you don't get cheated... with labour should be about $50 all together.

Some of them are made of brass... which wears out faster... i customized mine out of alloy.

Could be but i highly doubt it for a 40k mileage car, if it's 100-150k then maybe it could be link bushing.

(edited)

Thanks Trex

Manual states either 75W85 or 75W90.

However, I google and called several workshops they dun carry 75W85 oil... I think its quite rare.

I am an Amsoil fan-boy, this case... how to achieve 75W85 with Amsoil ?

I know MTG is 75W90 (but from specs its quite thin).

Edited by Darkblue

Mitsubishi Lancer

Is yours a CS3? If so I'm driving same make/model as yours.

I'm using Redline, have not use Amsoil, but either one should be good. At first I tried the MTL + MT-90 mix, then recently I switch to 100% MT-90. Between the two combination, I would prefer MT-90 only.

Thanks Trex

Manual states either 75W85 or 75W90.

However, I google and called several workshops they dun carry 75W85 oil... I think its quite rare.

I am an Amsoil fan-boy, this case... how to achieve 75W85 with Amsoil ?

I know MTG is 75W90 (but from specs its quite thin).

MTG 75w90 is pretty thin, it would work well in your Lancer, no problem.

The last time I had this problem, it was a leaky clutch master cylinder.

Especially the 1st gear, you will have difficulty to engage.

After a while, you completely can't engage the gear.

You need to pump the clutch a few times, before you can.

Pumping pushed out the air bubbles.

Which means you need to replace the defective part.

Wait a while, and see if it gets more difficult, especially in the morning during cold start.

↡ Advertisement