SCHNELL Engine Oil 5W40

Cwinedine

Exactly.

carlube is damm big in UK. Even their racing circles use it a lot. [thumbsup]

And its still selling like hot-cakes.

Unlike so many snake oil additives. They usually disappear after a few years only. [sweatdrop] Thats about how long it takes to destroy yr car engine. [bigcry]

I actually tried using the w50 carlube (red sticker, 5L bottle) in my forester on one track day in Sepang. Prior to that I hv been to that track quite a few times in the same car (and same mods, except different suspension) and always used mobil 1 5w50.

my ride has sensors n gauges for oil temp and oil pressure, among others.

as usual, I did a fresh oil change a week before the track day. Didn't notice much difference on SG roads.

during the track session using carlube, I found that oil temp rose higher and faster than when using mobil 1 oil. More worryingly, oil pressure dipped close to 1 at idle when I came back to pitlane after some hot laps n cool down laps. Usually if using mobil 1, the oil pressue will be just under 2, at idle.

henceforth I stopped using CL oil. It could be ok for normal street use and/or non-turbo cars, I don't know. Never tried long enough to tell.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Haha! How big is it?

Big enough to make enough oil for my car?

Need about 3 litres leh

Mine with GP [scholar] references, it's about [:/] 400 grams in weight, let me check with my wife [gorgeous] how much she's having to contribute for your [thumbsup] experiment, if still not enough ? I will PM Uncle Picnic [sly] for loan in advance for your noble project [nod]

• Praise 2

I actually tried using the w50 carlube (red sticker, 5L bottle) in my forester on one track day in Sepang. Prior to that I hv been to that track quite a few times in the same car (and same mods, except different suspension) and always used mobil 1 5w50.

as usual, I did a fresh oil change a week before the track day. Didn't notice much difference on SG roads.

during the track session using carlube, I found that oil temp rose higher and faster than when using mobil 1 oil. More worryingly, oil pressure dipped close to 1 at idle when I came back to pitlane after some hot laps n cool down laps. Usually if using mobil 1, the oil pressue will be just under 2, at idle.

henceforth I stopped using CL oil. It could be ok for normal street use and/or non-turbo cars, I don't know. Never tried long enough to tell.

If I had a turbo car and go tracking

I would only use a Group 5 oil like

Motul or Redline.

:D

• Praise 1

This is a very important fact. [nod]

For TRACKING......its very different from daily driving.

Its likely M1 IS much better for heavy use at the track.

I dun go tracking with my daily drive car. Thats why I have full confidence in carlube when its for daily driving. Its so much cheaper than M1 n serves its purpose well. [thumbsup]

So those who wish to go tracking...........then its better to use a more ex better quality EO for maximum protection. [nod]

If I had a turbo car and go tracking

I would only use a Group 5 oil like

Motul or Redline.

:D

If u go tracking with a turbo car..................U r special. [thumbsup]

U can use chicken fats n it wil b more than enough.

Tires u can also use pick-up tires for more than enough traction.

Hahahahaha. [laugh]

• Praise 1

This is a very important fact. [nod]

For TRACKING......its very different from daily driving.

Its likely M1 IS much better for heavy use at the track.

I dun go tracking with my daily drive car. Thats why I have full confidence in carlube when its for daily driving. Its so much cheaper than M1 n serves its purpose well. [thumbsup]

So those who wish to go tracking...........then its better to use a more ex better quality EO for maximum protection. [nod]

yup, exactly why I quoted your post which mentioned "carlube is big in UK. Even their racing circles use it a lot", when I described my personal experience.

the CL w50 sold in SG has been weighed, measured and found wanting on track - it can't tahan one set of hot laps. So just wanted to inform anyone who is thinking of testing CL on track [nod]

Bro @Fongmy , from post 836, may not be a good idea to use CL in ur IL6 TC engine. Esp since u really rev it up on nshw.

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 4

Bro @Fongmy , from post 836, may not be a good idea to use CL in ur IL6 TC engine. Esp since u really rev it up on nshw.

Yes, for saloon cars should be fine to use CL.

High pick-up powerful torques generates higher engine heating temperature which makes me concern when RPM remains at 5000+ constantly.

For tracking,

Motul 15W50 is one of the best oil i have used so far.

Now I am using Ravenol EO from Germany, only exclusive WS carries this EO to protect imitation.

• Praise 4

Does that the mean that if CL can use 10k for normal engine/driving, that means that M1 & the likes can go 15k? [rolleyes]

Does that the mean that if CL can use 10k for normal engine/driving, that means that M1 & the likes can go 15k? [rolleyes]

Depending on which M1 or the likes you choose.

Example, if for my application, a normal synthetic can last 7000 km, with Redline, I may risk to change it out at 10,000 km.

There is no one size fits all.

• Praise 2

CL is suitable for bread and butter cars which are not tc/sc-ed and direct injection

the heat from tc/sc and the fuel dilution from di usually kills oils faster

CL is suitable for bread and butter cars which are not tc/sc-ed and direct injection

the heat from tc/sc and the fuel dilution from di usually kills oils faster

There will be instances for some b&b cars in the way they are driven and/or used makes CL (or similar EO) not suitable.

• Praise 1

20k Km according to my car manufacturer. [thumbsup][laugh]

I believe only if there is overheating or radiator boils over, then it can happen. Engine oil manufacturers already tested to destruction temperature during research. [thumbsup]

Can use SAE50 if still nervous. [laugh]

We should look out if the cartridge oil filter is of compact size (half sized and may be partially blocked/choked if utilised for more than 10K Km).

Saw sites say that old days oil filter 450ml. Today 250ml.

• Praise 3

Likely the required oil pressure can not be achieved after 10k Km usage, with such compact cartridge oil filter. [lipsrsealed][shakehead]

u mean oil filter has an effect on pressure?

hence in the past, some say filter change w alternate eo change. With today's downsize, every eo change also need to change filter.