The Unstoppable Toyota Prius

Koolaba

Turbocharged
5 new accidents involving Toyota Prius confirmed: report

Posted: 06 February 2010 1710 hrs

TOKYO : The Japanese government has confirmed five new accidents involving Toyota Motor's Prius hybrids and will urge the troubled car giant to investigate the cases, according to a newspaper report.

The transport ministry has received some 80 complaints in February about malfunctions in the brake system of the latest model of the flagship Prius, the Tokyo Shimbun reported without quoting sources.

Five of them were actual crashes in which the drivers claimed the brakes did not work well, the daily said, adding that the ministry would urge the company to launch an investigation.

It was not possible to immediately confirm the report.

Toyota said Friday that it was still considering whether to recall the Prius, a day after confirming there was a design flaw with the fuel-sipping car.

The company said it had redesigned the anti-lock braking system -- designed to prevent skidding -- for the latest version of its Prius produced since last month and would soon announce steps for those already on the road.

- AFP/vm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1035792/1/.html

I am more interested to see whether BM will act blur onot..

↡ Advertisement

Jus now saw a prius at KJE bend toward CCK . See him poke ppl, chiong and jam brake for a few times. He testing Brake and gas pedal whether working or not ? Keke

Jus now saw a prius at KJE bend toward CCK . See him poke ppl, chiong and jam brake for a few times. He testing Brake and gas pedal whether working or not ? Keke

at least his brakes are working fine

Unless he was in a genuine hurry, that Prius driver must be a special kind of moron. Buy a hybrid whose super-economy depends on steady, non-aggressive driving, then proceed to drive it in an unsteady, aggressive way.

Mind you, I'm OK with chiongsters. But not when they do it in a hybrid.

Edited by Turboflat4

one of my japanese associates drives me and wife around in his new prius whenever we are there.

think i'd better rent my own car

Edited by Yattokame

the moment you drive the Prius aggressively, with heavy pedal to the metal, it'll give really bad fuel consumption...more like 8-10km/L only nia...

Not just Prius or hybrid, any vehicles regardless of their engine type, will drain resource faster when driven aggressively.

You can never run away from the law of physics. [;)]

Edited by Wishcumstrue

Neutral Newbie

The old "BILL GATES VS GENERAL MOTORS" jokes.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated that :- "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Gates' comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT". But then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only work on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.

i beg to differ...the Prius will drink MORE petrol than a normal petrol car if you rev it...

Next question next you need to ask is how often does "a normal driver" rev and drive aggressively?

Every time? Some time ?

If is the former, the driver will need improve their time-management or take public transport as his aggressive driving is a disservice to public safety. [:p]

The old "BILL GATES VS GENERAL MOTORS" jokes.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated that :- "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon."

Old jokes that had gone back to 2005. That was when old Bill was still the CEO while GM was the no.1 car-maker.

The irony of the joke is while Bill had retired as a very successful man from a powerful coy, GM went burst after failing to get fund from US gov.

Fact of life when u run a business in two very different industries.

So will Toyota goes to way of GM based on current situation? I doubt so.

Why? Coz I hadn't see a joke about Toyota vs MS, yet. :D

Edited by Wishcumstrue

Does he look like the below? since he drives a prius

I am not sure if you had personnel issue with gay pple, but your posting is down-right insensitive to many community by your portrayal link

yup...obviously everyday on the road...there'll be some kuku driver always chionging down the road...

better steer clear off such people...later they bang into you then you know...

Speaking of cheonging in a hybrid and IT industry, Steve Wozniak (Apple co-founder) kenna caught doing over 165km/h in his old Prius in 2007. He was fine USD700. [ Source: http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2007/0...acing_team.html ]

His finding:

↡ Advertisement