If Ever Your Accelerator Jammed

Vidz

Read a tragic accident resulted from a jammed accelerator. Toyota/Lexus probably in deep trouble now...

http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story...205-196840.html

If ever your accelerator jammed:

- slammed on your brakes (there will be alot of smoke)

- stay calm

- put gear into Neutral (RPM will surge)

- turn off ignition

drive safe... [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

note that in many modern cars, turning off ignition means losing power steering also..may not be wise during emergency..especially those who have not driven a non-power steering car in their life before..

and nowadays, most cars comes with rev cut (usually 5000rpm when in neutral)..so rpm surge won't be much of a prob..

Let the engine race a bit never mind one, they are design to run after all.

Most important, slow down the car and find a safe place to stop/park then turn off the engine.

I hope LTA can put this in the driving test syllabus.

but for older cars without rev cut, the surge may blow out the engine, right??

then again, life more important... ^_^

don't think engine will blow lah, modern engines should have safety feature built in.

and unless the driver drives like an F1 driver ie. pedal to metal, unlikely the rpm will keep climbing

I think the most important is to put to neutral to cut power to the wheels. Then just use the brake to slow down to a stop and off the engine in neutral gear. Engaging to P has to go thru Reverse 1st which may coz the car to surge backward with the high rpm running.

Neutral Newbie

this is a very sad case

but i feel toyota should not be held full responsibility

1) car mat is 3rd party not toyota - why did car rental company use an old carmat

2) driver did not turn off ignition

3) driver did not change gear to N or P after stepping on the brakes

this is a very sad case

but i feel toyota should not be held full responsibility

1) car mat is 3rd party not toyota - why did car rental company use an old carmat

2) driver did not turn off ignition

3) driver did not change gear to N or P after stepping on the brakes

It is not just car mat.. Most the recent case are just plainly stuck pedal despite carpet is not jamming...

and nowadays, most cars comes with rev cut (usually 5000rpm when in neutral)..so rpm surge won't be much of a prob..

Not a problem? my small car 2nd gear at rpm 6k aldy ~90km/hr.. Ur FD2 probably >100km/hr liao

Enough to be v dangerous in any road lo.....

Neutral Newbie

It is not just car mat.. Most the recent case are just plainly stuck pedal despite carpet is not jamming...

Seems like this problem has been known since 2007. Note that with the pedal stuck you can't shift to neutral, reverse or cut engine with the stop/start button. Scary....

Check out the vid.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5d0_1265315365

Seems like this problem has been known since 2007. Note that with the pedal stuck you can't shift to neutral, reverse or cut engine with the stop/start button. Scary....

Check out the vid.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5d0_1265315365

Like dat, which ever toyota owner encounter this situation, there nothing much he can do except pray.

And 2007 they knew about it, they wait til 3yrs then recall and it's not from their own initiative, but kenna push by the USA gahment. shake head..

Neutral Newbie

Like dat, which ever toyota owner encounter this situation, there nothing much he can do except pray.

And 2007 they knew about it, they wait til 3yrs then recall and it's not from their own initiative, but kenna push by the USA gahment. shake head..

I guess they were waiting for more "evidence" to surface before taking action. Seems like the 911 call from that california higway patrol cop whose whole family crashed and died must have been the straw that broke the camel's back for them. As I said its pretty Scary. [sweatdrop]

[dizzy]

i told someone way before, toyota going to make shitty cars at this rate, they will collapse soon, see...

lexus don't be too happy, they are just toyota with more electronics and insulation. and they are more likely to accelerate faster, and reach hell faster...

Edited by Shimada

No. slam on your brakes, if necessary with both legs.

the brake force should be greater then engine force... so car should slow down to a stop... really scary but have to stay calm...

but if cannot change to neutral and off ignition due to faulty electronics, i don't really know what to do next :huh::mellow:

oh man, i thought driver kayu dunno how to shift to neutral... actually neutral doesn't work, off doesn't work, P doesn't work...

i never owned an auto car before, although i driven many...

i hate auto, except dsg. now the more i won't buy an auto... or a toyota...

if a trained highway patrol police officer cannot control the car, thats really a scary thought... [:|][sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement