Budget Airlines - Are they really cheap?

Yapahfai

Hi all,

Not sure if u have tried booking airline tickets on a last-min basis close to those peak periods.

I tried booking tickets to Thailand for a quick getaway this coming week.

I did a comparison of their prices.

Air Asia prices for 2-way tickets is about $460+ per pax.

But Thai Airways is going for about $450+ per pax.

Even Singapore Airlines is going for about $530+ per pax.

No prizes for guessing which airline I chose in the end.

Just wondering, budget airlines is meant to offer low-cost air travel.

But if their prices is close to or even higher than full-fletched airlines, it defeats the purpose, isn't it?

I fear they are another HDB-in-the-making.

↡ Advertisement

If you're not happy about the cost, then don't buy it. Why come here to malign the company just because they position themselves as a budget airline? If you want cheap prices, book your flight in advance like everyone else.

Why compare it to HDB and how does it "defeat the purpose"? Budget airline's purpose is to make money and as a company, they have are only obligated to provide their shareholders with a return; they have no obligations to offer low prices to customers.

Edited by Kusje

Hi all,

Not sure if u have tried booking airline tickets on a last-min basis close to those peak periods.

I tried booking tickets to Thailand for a quick getaway this coming week.

I did a comparison of their prices.

Air Asia prices for 2-way tickets is about $460+ per pax.

But Thai Airways is going for about $450+ per pax.

Even Singapore Airlines is going for about $530+ per pax.

No prizes for guessing which airline I chose in the end.

Just wondering, budget airlines is meant to offer low-cost air travel.

But if their prices is close to or even higher than full-fletched airlines, it defeats the purpose, isn't it?

I fear they are another HDB-in-the-making.

usu budget airlines good prices if u book in advance else it gets higher nearer the date of travel...its norm.

anyw many airlines fly bkk...cathay has pretty good price too when i flew some time back...

u can try calling travel agents for more deals...enjoy...

its been a long long time since i went bkk...

i personally find Silkair the best for shorthaul flights...

the economy seats are more spacious than SIA, it's parent company...the space between the floor and front seat base is quite high, so you can stretch your legs under the front seats...

budget airlines have really uncomfortable PVC seats, and cramp legroom, such as Air Asia...the tickets are cheap, but factor in airport tax, fuel surcharge, and service charge...not much different from a normal airline...

i feel budget airlines are a disappointment, if i had a choice, i would not take one.

their fares are not cheap enough, and they have alot of services missing.

and for your example, full service airlines are sometimes cheaper.

don't waste time...

no complaint for budget airlines.

u have to book early and only good for short flights.

i just came back from penang via tigerairway and the return ticket costs me $80 bucks but i booked 3 mths early. plane is on time also.

if u buy last min, its better to source lower fare from full service carriers...example, a last min jetstar to taipei can costs whopping 6-8oo dollars while evaair is much cheaper.

my jetstar tickets to BKK this april, $100 per pax... last year went to BKK, november, $98 per pax... all taxes included...

not cheap meh? yea, u gotta book early...

Hmmm... I think post #2 is uncalled for... TS is simply asking some relevant questions here...which I think most of us also have the same question "why it is call "budget" when the fare is almost the same as normal full fledge airline?"

If not happy, then don't drive and take our world class pubic transport lo, why come here malign our super thunder garmen and KPKB about ERP la, COE la [:p]

yeah. thats how budget airline company work. u just gotta book early. they earn money from those people who book last minute. those who book early are just to choke up seat and that the price they pay is to cover the cost only. purpose of budget airline is not to replace any of the current ones. they serve to let the people who does not have enough money but wish to go overseas for a holiday ASSUMING IF they book early. cheers. :D

Edited by Thugstercena

Last min booking are always ex. Budget or non budget. [:p][:p]

but but but... TS is referring to both of same date, last min booking whereby the so called budget airline offer same price as the premium carrier.... if last min booking cost higher, shouldn't Thai Airways and SQ fare double the fare of the stated price? :huh:

budget airlines have to make sure the flights are fully booked before flying. by offering cheap tix in advance, they are more or less ensure their flight will be full as possible on the actual day.

if they allow ppl to book last-min flight at low cost, there is no guarantee the flight will be full as ppl will also change their plan to fly anytime they want since cheap tix is available easily any time. with such mentality, the flight may operate in less than desirable capacity.

Neutral Newbie

budget airlines are always expensive when you book in the last minute, whether they are more than regular airlines depends on the destination & travel period.

I have traveleld on tiger to Phuket at $120 return, i consider that a very good price and i dont mind the lack of comfort for an hours jouney anyway

budget airlines have to make sure the flights are fully booked before flying. by offering cheap tix in advance, they are more or less ensure their flight will be full as possible on the actual day.

if they allow ppl to book last-min flight at low cost, there is no guarantee the flight will be full as ppl will also change their plan to fly anytime they want since cheap tix is available easily any time. with such mentality, the flight may operate in less than desirable capacity.

Sounds reasonable. They are good for people who plans early. Really very cheap. Sometimes flying to KL is even cheaper than taking coach (all tax included).

Your argument has to be objective. As seats are filled and when the fixed cost are covered, the remaining seats will be priced higher to earn them a profit.

I have been gg back & forth VN & SG for the last 4 years.

Budget air is only cheap if:

a) you book early (like 3-6 months) in advance

b) you exactly how much luggage you are tugging along.

Otherwise, it will depend if your booking period & travelling period coincides with any sales promo. Do note that during prices are not lowered during holiday period.

For me, I am glad they are around. Otherwise, SQ used to charge $700-$800 for HCMC flights (return). I am only paying $160-$220.

Just look at SG-KL flights, the prices have come down a lot.

↡ Advertisement