Coilover and Chassis

Yuan

Just to check with forum bros and sis and learn from your sharing of experiences.... :D

Does usage of coilover over time affect the structure and integrity of our car chassis?

↡ Advertisement

I have not found a reason to believe that it would. although chassis strengthening modification is usually added to the car to remove chassis flex, which is now limiting the cars handling performance, after extensive suspension upgrades have been performed.

Edited by Showtime

I have not found a reason to believe that it would. although chassis strengthening modification is usually added to the car to remove chassis flex, which is now limiting the cars handling performance, after extensive suspension upgrades have been performed.

Yup. I have not found any information or articles that state it would.

Thanks for your sharing.

I think if done properly with the correct parts, the chassis should last even longer than stock.

haha.. thats beyond the lifetime of most car in singapore!

Just to check with forum bros and sis and learn from your sharing of experiences.... :D

Does usage of coilover over time affect the structure and integrity of our car chassis?

I believe the coilovers will have its effects felt on a normal sedan chassis over a period of usage.

This is especially true if very harsh damping/spring rates are used on the coilovers.

The stock suspension is designed to absorb the impact from the roads, preventing it from reaching the chassis, so if coilovers are used, the chassis hardpoints where the suspension is being mounted to will be subjected to increased stress.

To reduce this and increase comfort levels, twintube coilovers will be better than monotube coilovers for the streets.

D2, Hotbits, BC all these mostly are monotube coilovers. Tein Super Street is a twintube design as far as i can remember...

I believe the coilovers will have its effects felt on a normal sedan chassis over a period of usage.

This is especially true if very harsh damping/spring rates are used on the coilovers.

The stock suspension is designed to absorb the impact from the roads, preventing it from reaching the chassis, so if coilovers are used, the chassis hardpoints where the suspension is being mounted to will be subjected to increased stress.

To reduce this and increase comfort levels, twintube coilovers will be better than monotube coilovers for the streets.

D2, Hotbits, BC all these mostly are monotube coilovers. Tein Super Street is a twintube design as far as i can remember...

Thanks for your information. [thumbsup]

Yes I believe it would happen too but on most cars it is negligible bah. The difference shld be micro.

Turbocharged

Yes I believe it would happen too but on most cars it is negligible bah. The difference shld be micro.

Not to mention the short lifespan of Singapore Cars...think it'll still be negligible even to the scrapyard..

Not to mention the short lifespan of Singapore Cars...think it'll still be negligible even to the scrapyard..

You mean 10 years? 20 years?

Neutral Newbie

See so many 1992 EG and EH Civics on the road still... some still used for tracking etc.

A lot of them lived their lives heavily modded and with tons of tracking duty.

But I don't think the chassis have been affected to the point that the car is dangerous to use or unstable etc...

Shouldn't even be an issue ;)

See so many 1992 EG and EH Civics on the road still... some still used for tracking etc.

A lot of them lived their lives heavily modded and with tons of tracking duty.

But I don't think the chassis have been affected to the point that the car is dangerous to use or unstable etc...

Shouldn't even be an issue ;)

Yeah, lots of them had been whacked by previous owners. Only some are lucky enough to have decent owners who even bothered to refurbish the suspension components.

Some of them had their stock suspension swapped to coilovers, but the 10++ year old rubber bushings never change. This is asking for trouble when hard driving is done on the tracks...

Hey Bro Yuan [wave]

haha i just had a question for you under the thread BC coilovers...

actually i was gonna change my bushings n stabilizer links to those poly somthing... but after reading up realised that it will make my ride much more uncomfortable.. so i didnt.. but if they do wear out... i'll probably change..

all your engine mounts, suspension bushings original? actually hv you heard of the foam thing to stiffen your ride? thought of doing it before? wonder whats the cost and weight of it..

Hey Bro Yuan [wave]

haha i just had a question for you under the thread BC coilovers...

actually i was gonna change my bushings n stabilizer links to those poly somthing... but after reading up realised that it will make my ride much more uncomfortable.. so i didnt.. but if they do wear out... i'll probably change..

all your engine mounts, suspension bushings original? actually hv you heard of the foam thing to stiffen your ride? thought of doing it before? wonder whats the cost and weight of it..

My engine mounts and bushings are original.

My BC dampers are adjustable and they feel alright with me in normal street driving.

You are referring to those spring stiffeners. Jeep Chee got sell. They come in various sizes for specific car makes. More for stock suspension or aftermarket springs/shock absorbers. Spring stiffeners are not for coilovers. Coils have adjustable damps.

My engine mounts and bushings are original.

My BC dampers are adjustable and they feel alright with me in normal street driving.

You are referring to those spring stiffeners. Jeep Chee got sell. They come in various sizes for specific car makes. More for stock suspension or aftermarket springs/shock absorbers. Spring stiffeners are not for coilovers. Coils have adjustable damps.

no lah bro... i talking abt FOAM they inject into your car chassis... to stiffen your car... cause you were asking abt coilovers stressing the chassis... [:)]

↡ Advertisement