Forte's puzzling FC figures

Friendstar

actually, the FC is really dependant on the "sweet spot" between RPM and gear used for the car.

I discovered this in my verna after reading numerous threads on different forums and tried it out.

Regardless the gear, depending on the road condition and the speed allowable, 

when i maintain a constant 2000 rpm as most people say lower RPM gives better FC, my FC was about 8.5 KM to the liter.

when i do 2500 rpm, my FC improved to about 9 KM to the liter consistently.

now, i drive it a little harder at 2750-3000 rpm to maintain the optimum speed at which ever gear i am on, i am constantly gettting 10.5-13 KM to the liter. Expressways gets better FC, naturally.

so, how good your FC is, is really dependant on finding that sweet spot. [laugh]

Just to add, anything beyond 3500 rpm, the consumption will be dependant on how maniac i am on the speed front.

it will hover from 11-12 KM to the liter for speeds above 110 on the NSHW.

This is strange but somehow it's true.

I also used to think the lower the RPM the better the FC. Hence I always tried to keep it around 2k rpm. After a month I was pretty frustrated due to the below average FC, not to mention the below average drive experience. You don't feel like you're getting the full driving experience with the slow acceleration.

Now I usually push it to 2.5k rpm when moving off from traffic lights. Driving experience is a lot better as I can feel like I'm actually using the car's power. FC has improved marginally but I still need more time to determine if there's a significant improvement. Recent figures show about 5-10% improvement.

I'm still looking for the sweet spot between RPM and FC.

↡ Advertisement

This is strange but somehow it's true.

I also used to think the lower the RPM the better the FC. Hence I always tried to keep it around 2k rpm. After a month I was pretty frustrated due to the below average FC, not to mention the below average drive experience. You don't feel like you're getting the full driving experience with the slow acceleration.

Now I usually push it to 2.5k rpm when moving off from traffic lights. Driving experience is a lot better as I can feel like I'm actually using the car's power. FC has improved marginally but I still need more time to determine if there's a significant improvement. Recent figures show about 5-10% improvement.

I'm still looking for the sweet spot between RPM and FC.

google around.

the sweet spot, i discovered in my car, is usually ard the RPM required to maintain 100KM at your highest gear.

you can try to see if it works on yours.

I am gonna try this on my next car! 

Just forgotten a used cerato forte of feb2010. On 17" 225/45R17. Fc was bad, getting worse 9km per litre and best 10.5km per litre. Would,like to hear from fellow forte driver. Tks for sharing

Turbocharged

Just forgotten a used cerato forte of feb2010. On 17" 225/45R17. Fc was bad, getting worse 9km per litre and best 10.5km per litre. Would,like to hear from fellow forte driver. Tks for sharing

If I buy a used, I will changed all oil, do a major service... Then go nshw, whack the shit out of it to clear carbon... Then monitor the fc for 3mths ave to know what is the fc like...

Quite sway....

Twincharged

actually, the FC is really dependant on the "sweet spot" between RPM and gear used for the car.

I discovered this in my verna after reading numerous threads on different forums and tried it out.

Regardless the gear, depending on the road condition and the speed allowable, 

when i maintain a constant 2000 rpm as most people say lower RPM gives better FC, my FC was about 8.5 KM to the liter.

when i do 2500 rpm, my FC improved to about 9 KM to the liter consistently.

now, i drive it a little harder at 2750-3000 rpm to maintain the optimum speed at which ever gear i am on, i am constantly gettting 10.5-13 KM to the liter. Expressways gets better FC, naturally.

so, how good your FC is, is really dependant on finding that sweet spot. [laugh]

Just to add, anything beyond 3500 rpm, the consumption will be dependant on how maniac i am on the speed front.

it will hover from 11-12 KM to the liter for speeds above 110 on the NSHW.

check tire pressure. Check spark plug / change oil filter, fuel filter... sometimes the basic maintenance is not carried out in the believe that if it works dont change.

Supercharged

check tire pressure. Check spark plug / change oil filter, fuel filter... sometimes the basic maintenance is not carried out in the believe that if it works dont change.

that is just silly!

once the maintenance mileage is reached, must service.

no two ways about it!. [laugh]

I think if you deliberately tries to drive slow, then you probably are doing 2 things badly...

1. you released the gas and then step on it again, in order to regulate the speed.

2. you stepped on the brakes more often, thus in order to get back to speed you gas it again.

Doing either or both, makes FC bad, because whenever you try to increase the speed ( aka Accelerate ) of your car, the engine puts in extra engine power  ( aka fuel )  as compared to when the car was already moving in motion constantly.

When a car is going too slow, there is lack of inertia energy to keep it moving as the mechanical friction is potentially much higher compared to its moving speed. Thus you need more energy to get it started again.

However if lets say you are going at 80 or 90, and you let go your gas, you generally doesn't get a noticeable speed reduction due to the fact that the 1500 kg mass has a lot of inertia energy moving forward.. thus you won't need that substantial much more gas to get it back to 80 again.

Well, at least, this is what I believe.

Same analogy in pushing a big cupboard on the floor..

When you push it slowly, you find it quite difficult to get it moving.

But once you overcome the friction and the cupboard starts to get sliding on the floor, you only need to maintain a little bit more power to make it move a little bit faster.

The reverse analogy is true, when they say speed kills.

But that's not killing you. Its the inability to stop a heavy moving object within a distance that kills you.

Which also explain why that FC thing is all about.

Edited by amossoma66

Neutral Newbie

Will changing to 15” rims with a profile of 60 or 65 increase FC?

I’m on 225/45/R17, manual EX and fc is only 10km/km

(edited)

Will changing to 15â rims with a profile of 60 or 65 increase FC?

Iâm on 225/45/R17, manual EX and fc is only 10km/km

Very marginal.no point.

It's an old car right. I foresee 8 years?

Edited by Friendstar
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

What I can tell you is the difference in fuel savings if any will never offset the cost of changing.

Hmm...I managed to find a 15" stock K3 rim newly taken off from the vehicle. About $400. Worth it?

Very marginal.no point.

It's an old car right. I foresee 8 years?

Marginal? Damn....tot can get better FC. 

Yes, 8.5 years old. Just bought coz cannot afford a car with better fc. Line of work require a vehicle...suck thumb.

My last 2 cars gave me quite good fc.

Lancer (manual) - 13.5km/l

Axios (manual) - 14km/l

Will changing to 15â rims with a profile of 60 or 65 increase FC?

Iâm on 225/45/R17, manual EX and fc is only 10km/km

Correct tyre width for Forte - 215/45R17.
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Today my FC for my Kia Forte 2009 (renewed COE) has hit 15km/l !!!

Average for the past 1 year plus since my last post was 13.8km/l .

I changed my tyre size to 15" (2nd hand K3 Rim + Tyres) and I used this product called Nano Energizer for the past 1 year plus. From 10km/l, I managed to get 13.8km/l 

Edited by Nofear

11 minutes ago, Nofear said:

Today my FC for my Kia Forte 2009 (renewed COE) has hit 15km/l !!!

Average for the past 1 year plus since my last post was 13.8km/l .

I changed my tyre size to 15" (2nd hand K3 Rim + Tyres) and I used this product called Nano Energizer for the past 1 year plus. From 10km/l, I managed to get 13.8km/l 

Moving on 2 yrs fr then...so we should ask u how to get this Nano thingy? 🤔

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1