DVD Recorder or HDD Recorder

Espire

I am contemplating in getting a recorder to record shows from my hubstation.

I know in the market now... there are some dvd recorder with built-in HDD...

a little bit confuse... need some advice from those who had similar experiences... [:p]

↡ Advertisement

I am contemplating in getting a recorder to record shows from my hubstation.

I know in the market now... there are some dvd recorder with built-in HDD...

a little bit confuse... need some advice from those who had similar experiences... [:p]

Have previously had a Panasonic DVD-recorder. Conked out in two years - couldn't read DVDs.

Subsequently, my dad bought an LG DVD-only recorder. I bought a higher end HDD cum DVD recorder. Turned out both players eventually gave problems with the laser assembly (similar symptoms to the Panasonic one) and had issues reading and writing to discs. But at least mine can still be used as a HDD recorder. So I'm glad I went with the latter.

The difference in convenience with a HDD recorder is huge compared to a pure DVD one. Just hit Rec and you can do timeslip and all sorts of things without even thinking too hard about it. The DVD recording is usually more lecheh, needing a disc initialisation, etc.

Edited by Turboflat4

Have previously had a Panasonic DVD-recorder. Conked out in two years - couldn't read DVDs.

Subsequently, my dad bought an LG DVD-only recorder. I bought a higher end HDD cum DVD recorder. Turned out both players eventually gave problems with the laser assembly (similar symptoms to the Panasonic one) and had issues reading and writing to discs. But at least mine can still be used as a HDD recorder. So I'm glad I went with the latter.

The difference in convenience with a HDD recorder is huge compared to a pure DVD one. Just hit Rec and you can do timeslip and all sorts of things without even thinking too hard about it. The DVD recording is usually more lecheh, needing a disc initialisation, etc.

agree but I tot usually the HDD will go 1st..

strange that yours is the laser assembly that up lorry

Initially i had a pure DVD recorder and boy, do i have to keep a lot of disc.. subsequently the player had some problem with starting up and I brought a LG HDD recorder..

Most of the time, i'm using the HDD but at times, i do use the DVD to record shows so that I can bring it out to watch it in my living room.

guess it's down to convenient and price..

a HDD recorder cost 300 onwards.. but a recorder is less than 200.. anyway, prepare to change it 2-3years.. things are not built to last nowadays.. sigh..

Neutral Newbie

I have a LG and Samsung DVD+HDD recorder... The two of them have been working reliably for more than 2 years already. I prefer the LG one though... thought the Samsung one is slow and not so user friendly...

agree but I tot usually the HDD will go 1st..

strange that yours is the laser assembly that up lorry

I know. Maybe my experience was atypical. Mind you, the HDD was not without problems - I "lost" approx. 1 hour to recording, presumably because of bad sectors (could not be recovered on reformat). But at least it worked, can still record well. DVD too many problems to be reliable, the unit will often just freeze trying to read the disc and either come out with a message of "No disc" or ask to initialise a disc (when it's already got stuff recorded on it).

Edited by Turboflat4

OK. I hijack this thread.

I am thinking of buying a blue-ray player to replace my DVD player. Currently on the market, there are many blue-ray player price at around $300 +/-.

My question is how is the quality of picture image if playing DVD disc on a blue-ray player? Can I see image close to full HD quality?

As currently blue-ray disc are still very ex.

Edited by Tohto

To add-on to the above comments, I would suggest to have a additional feature - USB port or media card writer/reader. This way you do not need to only transfer onto a blank disc. I regretted not having consider this before.

Furthermore a HDD recorder does allow you to edit the recorded file like remove the commercials unlike you cannot on the hubstation.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Espire,

I have used 2 DVD-HDD Recorders (LGee & Soni) and I decided to use my HubStation now. The only disadvantage of HubStation is that you cannot extract what you have recorded into a DVD-R or HDD. Other than that, it's so economical and easy to use.

Why economical? With HubStation, it's only a $4.28 additional rental cost as compare to yr normal Digital Set-top Box. Just take it as $4.28*12= $51.36/yr to rent a HDD-R. Whenever it gives u problem, just send it for an immediate replacement. Even if u rent for 10years from SH, it's only $513.60.

Below are my experiences with 2 brands of DVD-HDD Recorders.

LGee (so-called high-end model in 2006) but kapot after 3 times before its 2 year warranty end. When I asked the Service Center to extract the videos that I've recorded onto my blank DVD or HDD, they said they won't do it. [thumbsdown] Bang table also no use. So, I wasted $699 for 2 years of use. I strike off LGee in my shopping list forever. [rifle]

2 years ago, I bought Soni DVD-HDD. Recently, it's DVD kapot but its HDD is still working fine. Fortunately, I bought extended (to 5 yrs) warranty from Havi Normal. Intend to send it to Soni or HV for repair soon.

My recommendation:

Option 1: If u dun need to extract the video content = HubStation

Option 2: If u need to extract video content = Buy extended warranty for a DVD-HDD-R

I have a LG and Samsung DVD+HDD recorder... The two of them have been working reliably for more than 2 years already. I prefer the LG one though... thought the Samsung one is slow and not so user friendly...

My Samsung 160GB HDD recorder gave up its ghost less than one year of service.

To add-on to the above comments, I would suggest to have a additional feature - USB port or media card writer/reader. This way you do not need to only transfer onto a blank disc. I regretted not having consider this before.

Furthermore a HDD recorder does allow you to edit the recorded file like remove the commercials unlike you cannot on the hubstation.

I have been looking for such feature, i.e. video output to USB port. Can't find.

Have you come across any recorder with this function? Please advise.

Edited by Hensony

i have quiet a disappointing experience with LG DVD recorders and players.

all 3 of my LG DVD recorders eventually couldn't read or sense DVD discs after some time of using like 1-2 years.

then most recently, my dvd player gave way. the only challenge i gave it was to watch dvd consecutively for 8 hours.

i am on the lookout for new dvd recorder again but wonder which brand to go for now.

in fact my brother's philips dvd recorder also conk out after less than 2 years.

i have been researching on this issue quite a bit because not only do i need to record tv show from shatrhub, i also need to copy and paste high def video from camcorder into a device with hard disk and it must play high def video files.

i chance upon these 2 products:

1) http://www.astone.com.au/index.php?productID=27

2) http://www.seagate.com/www/products/extern...ContentOverview

i have a feeling that somehow the astone one is superior because it builds in a large 3.5 inch hard disk (like 2TB). If i am not wrong challenger is elling the astone for about $400

But i don have any of these 2 products and i intend to investigate more on the astone one because of my insane appetide for storage space.

does anyone knows an of any astone office in sg so that i can call them to ask?

LG HDD recorders have a region code lock.

the solution is just call them within the warranty period to get them to come down to unlock for all regions and your probelm will be solved

the image quality of a dvd played from a ps3 or a normal dvd does not differ much

they still use 480p

i cant see much diff

the only difference between normal dvd player and ps3 is one uses the old yellow, red, white plug or red, green, blue plug vs hdmi cable

of course hdmi cable better

but because the dvd is only using 480p so the difference if using dvd player red, green, blue plug vs ps3 with hdmi cable is not much

what does the code lock do?

2 of the 3 recorders i sent back for repair, I was informed it needs repair cost of around $150 - $200 because they cannot read the discs anymore. seems like not related to code lock.

the 3rd one is still in use, but i never use them for watching dvd anymore since the onset of the problem

the lg that i bought came with some region code lock.

but when i call them they say they will come and unlock

if your need to pay money one, then i think it is mech problem already and not region lock problem

one of my lg also cannot finalise the burned dvd

but the hard disk recording function is still working

so i used it as a recorder for tv shows

then i used the ps3 to play the dvd

If can backup thru USB port... that would be ideal.

and also the editing away of the commercial... does this function come in all HDD recorder ? [blush]

↡ Advertisement