Lane1 in a crowded expressway....

Wind30

How should your drive in Lane1 in a crowded expressway?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How should your drive in Lane1 in a crowded expressway?

• no driving in Lane 1. It is meant for overtaking
    • can drive, but must filter to lane 2 everytime a tailgater comes up signalling that it wants to go faster
    • can drive and ignore tailgater behind as long as I keep close to the car in front and become a tailgater myself signalling I want to go faster
    • can drive and ignore tailgater behind, just keep my normal distance from car in front

Turbocharged

I am quite surprised that a lot of people think otherwise so I want to start a new thread with a clearer title.

Please note the poll is for expressways during PEAK HOURS which I drive.

I drive in singapore more specifically the CTE since I live in the north. To me, the expressway is always crowded and people drive in Lane 1 because it is just too crowded during peak hours.

I am surprised that some people in this forum expect people to give way to them in lane 1 even when the expressway is crowded. I think this is really stupid to me but I may be the odd one out..... I think all the filtering to lane 2 to let a tailgated go past will make the traffic crawl even slower and totally unpractical as there will always be people who choose 3 and 4.

↡ Advertisement

if u want to stick to the first lane in the expressway (regardless heavy or light traffic), pls speed up and not hog the roads. if everyone do their part on lane 1, then we are clearing the roads up even during heavy traffic conditions. (imagine all 3 lanes going at 60km/h...faintz) so if u cant keep up at 90-100km/h, pls step aside to allow others to vacate the expressway in a more expeditious manner...

(edited)

It is not right to say tailgater here and tailgater there. If everycar drive with the flow of traffic, there will be no tailgaters. If the car infront is fast, you better be fast too to keep pace. If slow then slow lor. I always believe in driving with the flow of traffic so as not to hog the road or create inconvenience to other users. These are public roads shared by many and we should not drive according to our own pattern. Give way and think of others [:)]

Edited by Renegade777

I am quite surprised that a lot of people think otherwise so I want to start a new thread with a clearer title.

Please note the poll is for expressways during PEAK HOURS which I drive.

I drive in singapore more specifically the CTE since I live in the north. To me, the expressway is always crowded and people drive in Lane 1 because it is just too crowded during peak hours.

I am surprised that some people in this forum expect people to give way to them in lane 1 even when the expressway is crowded. I think this is really stupid to me but I may be the odd one out..... I think all the filtering to lane 2 to let a tailgated go past will make the traffic crawl even slower and totally unpractical as there will always be people who choose 3 and 4.

This incident comes from another friend of mine who drives a Honda EURO-R. He was keeping a reasonable distance from the car in front when came in the middle of a JAM along lane 1 expessway when behind him comes a fast moving car which apparently wanna my friend to give way to him ,so he high beam and horn a couple of times. Fact is tat, even if my friend give way to him, the driver behind wouldnt have a distant to go before stuck in the same position as my friend previously???? So so me, I feel tat in such situation, to give or not to give way is no difference at all. Just dun get it whatz wih some singaporean drivers at all. Cant you just wait patiently???Rushing to wife labour or what????TOO BAD LOR , you are cant in the bloody JAM so next time ride an aeroplane instead la. :D :D :D

yeah I know what you mean... There is no such thing as lane 1 overtaking lane in the morning madness.... The lorries prob will take 2nd lane and above so you always have no choice but take lane 1. Even when there's car in front of you there is sure some brainless drivers who tailgate you asking to move aside!!! 100% of the time I ignored them but that's what makes fun driving in the morning hahaha

Turbocharged

It is not right to say tailgater here and tailgater there. If everycar drive with the flow of traffic, there will be no tailgaters. If the car infront is fast, you better be fast too to keep pace. If slow then slow lor. I always believe in driving with the flow of traffic so as not to hog the road or create inconvenience to other users. These are public roads shared by many and we should not drive according to our own pattern. Give way and think of others [:)]

I agree. driving in singapore is quite stressful as a lot of cars. I don't understand what is the point of tailgating someone in a crowded expressway like CTE.

Of course if you cannot keep up with the car in front, then you should move to the second lane. Plain and simple. nobody is argueing about that. In fact, sometimes I really hope the car behind a road hogger can horn, high beam, bang, or whatever to clear the road hog. But that only applies to the car behind the road hog (whose car CANNOT keep up with the trafffic in front).

but you see, there are still 5 people as of now, who still thinks that cars in front should give way to the tailgatter even if you can keep pace with the traffic flow.

I feel that will impede the traffic flow when people filter into the lane 2 repeatedly. Everyone loses and the only guy who gains is the tailgatter..... so I wonder who are those 5 guys who voted that option....

sometimes bumper to bumper still got pple high beam wor. i even experience it from a SBS bus on centre lane of a normal road. :D

so much of bus lane eh?

Turbocharged

usually, if people behind me signal his intention that h wanna overtake..even though it's heavy traffic, i'll try to keep left as soon as possible..

anyway, this scenario seldom happened to me..cos during peak hours, 3rd lane might just be smoother than 1st lane..

Turbocharged

ya, cos all the commercial vehicles are busy hogging the middle lanes [laugh] [laugh]

also, there is lesser start-stop traffic on lane 3 because all the class 4 and 5 vehicles prefer to travel at slower constant speed.. :D

Yes totally agreed, just go with the flow and maintain the 2 seconds rule in dry and 4 seconds in wet road condition.

There's no way to giveway during heavy traffic condition and when the average speed is really 30-40km/hr at lane 1 and 2.

If a tailgater comes up behind you in a state of heavy traffic, what I usually do is move a little to the left or right to let him/her SEE the traffic in-front is totally bumper to bumper and even if it were possible for me to give way, it won't do him/her much good. Then ignore the joker and continue driving with the flow of traffic.

Anyway, at anything less than 120km/h, I'm glued to the car in front of me, always on the lookout for overtaking opportunities!! But I do not horn or highbeam even if the roadhog doesn't give way, I feel that's being as rude as roadhogging is, and I refuse to bring myself down to that level! Just overtake on the left when I have a chance...

Neutral Newbie

If a tailgater comes up behind you in a state of heavy traffic, what I usually do is move a little to the left or right to let him/her SEE the traffic in-front is totally bumper to bumper and even if it were possible for me to give way, it won't do him/her much good. Then ignore the joker and continue driving with the flow of traffic.

Anyway, at anything less than 120km/h, I'm glued to the car in front of me, always on the lookout for overtaking opportunities!! But I do not horn or highbeam even if the roadhog doesn't give way, I feel that's being as rude as roadhogging is, and I refuse to bring myself down to that level! Just overtake on the left when I have a chance...

You have demonstrated some EQ here. Well done. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

I agree. driving in singapore is quite stressful as a lot of cars. I don't understand what is the point of tailgating someone in a crowded expressway like CTE.

Of course if you cannot keep up with the car in front, then you should move to the second lane. Plain and simple. nobody is argueing about that. In fact, sometimes I really hope the car behind a road hogger can horn, high beam, bang, or whatever to clear the road hog. But that only applies to the car behind the road hog (whose car CANNOT keep up with the trafffic in front).

but you see, there are still 5 people as of now, who still thinks that cars in front should give way to the tailgatter even if you can keep pace with the traffic flow.

I feel that will impede the traffic flow when people filter into the lane 2 repeatedly. Everyone loses and the only guy who gains is the tailgatter..... so I wonder who are those 5 guys who voted that option....

"bang" ??? bad idea, this may means closing the entire lane (accident) + the next lane (kay poh) + the lanes on the other direction (kay poh again)... massive traffic jam... resulting in slower traffic, higher insurance...