Thomson / Toa Payoh Rise Junction

Nani

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

HI Experts Forumers,

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel...vel_site_36650/

Can share your view & logic on why the traffic light has no right turn arrow to Olive road (caldecott hill) at this junction? There is a lane fitering to right but no traffic light arrow, has also noted that there is a signage saying NO RIGHT Turn from 7am-9am but what about the rest of the day? If not arrow then what's the point of making that fiter lane?

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel.../travel_site_1/

Oh, also no right turn at the junction of Dunearn road to Balmoral road during certain time, what logic huh? Other than due to the school nearby.

Thanks in advance for clarification :)

Edited by Nani
↡ Advertisement

I think you using the wrong link, cannot see what you trying to describe. Anyways, the roads do not allow right turn because of peak hour. This is so the traffic is smooth flowing when travelling. Imagine if many vehicles want to make the right turn, it will cause traffic buildup for vehicles needing to go straight. This is especially bad for peak hour.

It is the same for both junctions you mentioned, another one you missed out is the stevens road to PIE. Right turn to SCGS (just behind Esso Mobile and "Caltex?") is also not allowed during morning rush hour.

This is actually proper and good road planning. Definately better than ERP road planning.

[laugh]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

HI Experts Forumers,

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel...vel_site_36650/

Can share your view & logic on why the traffic light has no right turn arrow to Olive road (caldecott hill) at this junction? There is a lane fitering to right but no traffic light arrow, has also noted that there is a signage saying NO RIGHT Turn from 7am-9am but what about the rest of the day? If not arrow then what's the point of making that fiter lane?

Answer : turn into Olive Road when opposite direction's cars are not so near while the light is green. Who says must have green arrow then can turn ? Outside of restriction hours can turn

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel.../travel_site_1/

Oh, also no right turn at the junction of Dunearn road to Balmoral road during certain time, what logic huh? Other than due to the school nearby.

Answer : this is due to morning peak traffic going into town. To allow right turn will slow down the traffic and cause congestion. Can always use Newton Circle to come back and turn left into Balmoral if need to. During morning rush hour not many people turn into Balmoral as it is residential place...no office there except a small hotel. Likewise there is no right turn at the same junction during the day from Newton in the direction of Balmoral at the same junction. Some goondu motorist disobey and caused a few accidents before.

Thanks in advance for clarification :)

Edited by Fedup-camry

Turbocharged

No right turn during morning peak hours also no use (though it helps). That stretch of road from Thomson onwards towards Novena is so damned jammed every morning and has been especially bad since they raised the ERP from $1.5 to $2 for the period 8am to 8.30am. ERP definitely does not work along that stretch of road.

LTA people, if you are reading this, better find a solution fast!

Neutral Newbie

The junction of Toa payoh rise/thomson road (use to have an esso/mobil station). See, the thing is traffic on both sides of thomson road flows very fast and can be quite heavy at times. Eg. last saturday around 12pm, the traffic towards novena was very heavy, hence many motorist try to escape by turing right or u-turning, but before you can make the turn, the traffic light in our favour already turn red and both toa payoh rise/olive road vehicles are starting to move.

My qn is if there is no turn right arrow for motorist going towards novena, how these vehicles ever get to turn in a safety manner. I understand this junction may not be use very often by ppl turning right but can't they install an arrow & programme it according to usage.

The junction of Toa payoh rise/thomson road (use to have an esso/mobil station). See, the thing is traffic on both sides of thomson road flows very fast and can be quite heavy at times. Eg. last saturday around 12pm, the traffic towards novena was very heavy, hence many motorist try to escape by turing right or u-turning, but before you can make the turn, the traffic light in our favour already turn red and both toa payoh rise/olive road vehicles are starting to move.

My qn is if there is no turn right arrow for motorist going towards novena, how these vehicles ever get to turn in a safety manner. I understand this junction may not be use very often by ppl turning right but can't they install an arrow & programme it according to usage.

Well, I don't work for LTA but I think there is a green arrow that only goes on after peak hours. I am commenting on the right turn to some florist area. Anyways, I can't imagine if the right turn was allowed. I do remember there seems to be only 3 lanes towards novena area for that road, if the right turn lane is chock full of right turning cars during peak hours it will cause a congestion on that tiny stretch of road.

Also that little road has 2 major roads merging into it, thus causing it to be worse if the right turn is allowed. Another unpleasent incident happening around that area is the mount pleasent road where you are driving out from the old police HQ, it is strictly left turn only, but always have some idiots who want to do a right turn and choke up mount pleasent. The car behind them usually does not horn at these idiots, I really sometimes wonder why these cars are equipped with horns and why those cars cannot simply follow road directions, save themselfs some time and make life difficult for so many others.

↡ Advertisement