Which phone to buy?

Tinydog

Bro,

u can tell me HTC uses Core 2 quad processors with 4 gig of ram and 160gb internal HDD. impossibly hi-tech.

but its a zero sum game. Your battery will 5uck big time and the phone will heat up easily.

its really never about the technical aspect.

its the CONTENT.

apps developers of Apple create the content SOLELY for iphone. its like iphone on steroids, fully utilized to the maximum potential.

whereas WinMO developers may need to cater for lower spec models in other brands. that's the archilles heel of WinMO.

there's no centralized content server.

and when u download an app, u'll realize that the full potential of your hi-tech HTC is not harnessed.

I don't know how the iFart (and a gazillion other similar apps) fully utilise the iphone, but you're right about the centralised content. Microsoft is willing to risk breaking the bank by not having backwards compatibility for apps with Winmo 7 and having all their apps coming from a software repository as well.

Have a look at the app store and android market place though. For something with so few apps, the latter's app quality far exceeds those on the app store, not to mention IMHO they have more useful apps than the app store, without so many repeats.

What I'm hoping for is something more Linux style. Multiple repositories controlled by various sources but all appearing on a single screen on our devices for us to choose from. Too bad that probably will never happen for the iphone, since Jobs tries to control everything so tightly to prevent the weakness of his device from showing (e.g. lack of flash in the iphone, denial of security flaws in OSX, etc). Here's to hoping the rest will be different.

Too bad none of these web interfaced software repositories can make it even more user friendly (at least not without paying).... Amazon has the patent on the "one click checkout" system [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Hi all, want to get a new phone but in a dilemma what phone to get. Currently using Samsung Omnia 1. Find that pure touch screen phones not that great hence prefer something with keypad or slide out QWERTY keyboard. Some phones I had in mind

1. Motorola DEXT

2. Nokia N97

3. Nokia E72

4. Blackberry Bold 9700

5. Omnia Pro

Any advice and recommendations? Thanks :D

Nokia E52 [nod]

I tried my friend's E72 yesterday. Saw the screen, freaking clear. Tried the camera, freaking clear. Tried the video recording, freaking clear. Navigate through the phone, freaking no lag. Feel the body, freaking solid. Overall feel, freaking cool. Think it might be a good choice over BB.

After viewing the comments and/or videos posted on-line between iphone n htc, recently i have justed recontracted with HTC HD2, so far so good... [wave]

Turbocharged

I tried my friend's E72 yesterday. Saw the screen, freaking clear. Tried the camera, freaking clear. Tried the video recording, freaking clear. Navigate through the phone, freaking no lag. Feel the body, freaking solid. Overall feel, freaking cool. Think it might be a good choice over BB.

But the screen damn small..and websurfing on it is a chore..

Oh I've been on the end of that stick before [laugh]

One even asked me down to Geylang to talk when things got heated. I went down. He didn't. I flamed the living daylights out of him after [:p]

The iPhone has improved a lot though. It still has many shortcomings for me, but for most it should be fine. Although its overhyped, its gotten to a point where it may not be fantastic in the smartphone or enterprise aspects, but is brilliant in the ipod-mediaplayer-entertainment center-basic PDA all-in-one device department. Smartphone for the sheep masses I guess.

I'm going android soon though... the iphone never floated my boat in terms of looks, but the HTC Legend :wub: :wub:

If you notice, there's a few people coming in to defend their iPhone already.. :ph34r:

cos most of the users are idiots? OOPS...LOL!! [laugh] [laugh]

Steve Jobs and his brand worshipers are going to harass you now. Good luck. [wave]

This is also one of the reason i don't even wanna look at iphone..

unless you do a jailbreak, every single damn thing need itunes..with winmo/symbian etc, just click and drag whatever files i want to transfer into the phone..also, you can't send files using bluetooth to other phones..what good is that?

true true.

u have a valid point =)

i do hate the fact that every damn thing requires itunes too.

perhaps N97 gave me a truly bad experience the other time.

those who can make full use of iphone..will know it's good

i am anti iphone person in the past but after using..i change my point of view..coz it's just like a mini pc to me..lol

I thought you have one yourself????

no la, u remember wrongly. but to be exact, i wa definately one of the first few, at least in singapore, to get the iphone, just shortly after the first gen iphone was launched in usa. but after a week i gave up as i wasnt patient enough to try to get use to the virtual keypad. altho i say it is too proliferated, i must admit the implementation and the execution of the ipone is excellent .

however, i am getting a htc hd2 soon as i need to check email on the move, but no iphone pls. lol.

But the screen damn small..and websurfing on it is a chore..

agree. i think smart phones with small screen is a total handicap. its like a sport car with a excellent engine but with a nissan latio box like body. cannot make it.

If you can wait and its coming to town, pls consider HTC Desire...

I recently got my Nexus and is loving every mins....

Desire, which should be of similar spec, comes with SENSE UI which gives it the edge.

p/s: i'm no employee of HTC, and if I'm right, Desire will have slightly more ram then Nexus....

those who can make full use of iphone..will know it's good

I was among the first few to buy the iPhone 3G from Singtel.

Took the phone and sold it on an IT forum.

Pocket the $600 profit. [thumbsup]

Full use lor!

I was among the first few to buy the iPhone 3G from Singtel.

Took the phone and sold it on an IT forum.

Pocket the $600 profit. [thumbsup]

Full use lor!

I also sold off my 2nd one at 900

profit about 600plus lol

not bad la,got $ take mai hiam lol

not bad la,got $ take mai hiam lol

That's the only useful use I found for the iPhone. Make money. Rip them off. Make them beg you to sell them... mwahaha!

Now cannot lo. Too common leow. [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

Steve Jobs and his brand worshipers are going to harass you now. Good luck. [wave]

Let them..cos i have Bill Gates... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Turbocharged

true true.

u have a valid point =)

i do hate the fact that every damn thing requires itunes too.

perhaps N97 gave me a truly bad experience the other time.

the thing about N97 is that, this is the first time the Symbian OS venture into touchscreen interface..therefore, there are bound to be lotsa bugs to be ironed out..

↡ Advertisement