Engine Oil for high mileage

Eyke

To clarify your calculation, I assume $72 is for the better quality 0w30 engine oil? And the cheapo 5w40 could be the car.lu.be?

.........................0w30...........vs..........5w40

Engine oil........... $72..........................$29 (when on sales)

Saving on FC.....(-$40).......................$0

Overall costs..........$32..........................$29

I don't think saving in FC for $72 oil can offset a cheapo 5w40 such as car.lu.be. Perhaps my assumption some error? [confused]

FC is around 0.5-1Km/L gain, $8 saving is the minimum, could be more sometime. I calculated using the lower $ saving. Also i got my SSO during the last GB, so around $66.

Anyway, since both costing are similar, i would choose the better oil anytime.

↡ Advertisement

I see, the $72 0w30 is SSO, so its like $18 per quartz. ($16.5 per quartz in GB).

The cheapo car.lu.be comes in 5 litre bottle, so its like $5.80 per quartz? [sly]

==============

Oh Mobil 1 is selling for $54/4 lit? I tot it was much more ex?

But I use CLtr 40 weight at only $6/lit. Hee. [;)]

RP is now almost the same price as Mobil 1. [:(]

where did u get the cltr 40 at $6/l

Supercharged

Depends on how high mileage your engine is because 15w40 might be too thick and FC not that good. So in the end, not much saving at all.

good point.

my mileage around 170K and using 5w20 with little oil consumption,

so going w40 is overkill.

Not as expensive as per pump of petrol [knife] .

I used to think this way too until i did a calculation and found that when i use certain 0w30 engine oil compare with some cheapo 5w40, i saved about 0.5km/l - 1km/l, which is about $2-3 per tank.

This x 4 pump per month = $8+ saving per month.

i usually takes 5+months to reach 10k, so 5 x $8 = $40+ saving

This might not be much but at least it subsidise the cost of my engine oil, $72-$40 = $32 or less and more importantly i know that i'm using top of the range engine oil with superior engine protection that money could buy. :D

============

U might b right but for me, no noticeable difference between RP & CL so I guess Mobil 1 also no difference.

Now with CL, I am getting >13km/lit which is as good as it gets for my Optra Estate. Plus my petrol is from MY, so my savings with better FC is much less.

I dont believe in buying overpriced oils cos the difference is mostly their advertising costs. Last time I used RP cos it was really cheap. About the same as what I am now paying for CL. The reason I switched from RP to CL is cos RP now become very ex.

If CL becomes $13/lit, I wil prob look for an alternative.

BTW Mobil 1 is not really the top of the range engine oil. RP outscores it in several areas as mentioned in several tests done on BITOG.

I am going to check out that shop that forummers were recommending....Very near my office....

====================

U mean MXtrdg?

They have been around in the forums for very long already.

I used to get my RP direct from the local distributor in Penjuru (Pacific petroleum) so it was really cheap especially when I got it in the 21 lit pails. [thumbsup]

Long time I never check their prices compared to what others r selling. Only prob with the pails is I need to get about 3 more kaki to share it cos it too much for me to use in any reasonable amount of time cos my mileage is quite low. I usually service every 10-12 months.

To clarify your calculation, I assume $72 is for the better quality 0w30 engine oil? And the cheapo 5w40 could be the car.lu.be?

.........................0w30...........vs..........5w40

Engine oil........... $72..........................$29 (when on sales)

Saving on FC.....(-$40).......................$0

Overall costs..........$32..........................$29

I don't think saving in FC for $72 oil can offset a cheapo 5w40 such as car.lu.be. Perhaps my assumption some error? [confused]

====================

Ya me too dont find that much difference in FC between RP & CL. With these 2 oils, my FC about the same.

The "extra" $$$ is maybe for more protection & peace of mind only. But as I mentioned, I find the cheepo CL just as good as the more ex oils.

The only difference I found in my old 400K km Corona was that the CL needed to top-up a bit(especially when it was whacked on the NSH) as its flash-point was lower than RP. In my present Optra (which is newer & has a tighter engine) even with CL, I dont need to top-up at all for the whole 10K km duration.

Advertising & promotion costs can almost double the retail price of a product.

where did u get the cltr 40 at $6/l

================

On offer at Carrefour & Giant it is $29.90/5 lit bottle.

But I notice their "normal" price & "offer" price is quite close now so maybe even at normal prices, I wil still buy if I need it urgently.

====================

U mean MXtrdg?

They have been around in the forums for very long already.

I used to get my RP direct from the local distributor in Penjuru (Pacific petroleum) so it was really cheap especially when I got it in the 21 lit pails. [thumbsup]

Long time I never check their prices compared to what others r selling. Only prob with the pails is I need to get about 3 more kaki to share it cos it too much for me to use in any reasonable amount of time cos my mileage is quite low. I usually service every 10-12 months.

Service every 10-12 months....That is quite low usage....

My 10k mileage comes very fast with the longest duration being 4 months.....But this cannot be compared to those who used their cars for sales related activities which can clock high mileage and of course, more regular servicing.....

Service every 10-12 months....That is quite low usage....

My 10k mileage comes very fast with the longest duration being 4 months.....But this cannot be compared to those who used their cars for sales related activities which can clock high mileage and of course, more regular servicing.....

============

I average about 1K km /month. I dont really drive that much.

============

I average about 1K km /month. I dont really drive that much.

Quite under utilized....No wonder you go often for road trips to "clear carbon" or "clock mileage"... :D

Neutral Newbie

============

U might b right but for me, no noticeable difference between RP & CL so I guess Mobil 1 also no difference.

Now with CL, I am getting >13km/lit which is as good as it gets for my Optra Estate. Plus my petrol is from MY, so my savings with better FC is much less.

I dont believe in buying overpriced oils cos the difference is mostly their advertising costs. Last time I used RP cos it was really cheap. About the same as what I am now paying for CL. The reason I switched from RP to CL is cos RP now become very ex.

If CL becomes $13/lit, I wil prob look for an alternative.

BTW Mobil 1 is not really the top of the range engine oil. RP outscores it in several areas as mentioned in several tests done on BITOG.

Hi Pisces69

Sorry may i know the abbreviation of RP=? and CL=?

Thanks

RP = Royal Purple

CL = c*rl^be

where *=a and ^=u (don't know why the word is censored)

Brands of engine oils :)

Edited by Weiming

Quite under utilized....No wonder you go often for road trips to "clear carbon" or "clock mileage"... :D

============

Actually I clear carbon on our eways almost every day. [sly]

I just use my car for errands & moving around. I dont do sales or that kind of heavy usage.

I actually enjoy the road trips & I like the places in MY. I feel is safe & cheap & value for money. Food is similar to what we get here & language is not a problem for me. [thumbsup]

I never really feel safe in Thai or Indo. [sweatdrop]

Hi Pisces69

Sorry may i know the abbreviation of RP=? and CL=?

Thanks

===========

RP = Royal Purple

CL = C@rlube Triple R.

[:)]

Neutral Newbie

How's Prestone bro? I saw the Prestone Fully Syn 5W-40 selling for only $42.

so far so gd... not giving any problem..... it quite good.. value for money

============

Actually I clear carbon on our eways almost every day. [sly]

I just use my car for errands & moving around. I dont do sales or that kind of heavy usage.

I actually enjoy the road trips & I like the places in MY. I feel is safe & cheap & value for money. Food is similar to what we get here & language is not a problem for me. [thumbsup]

I never really feel safe in Thai or Indo. [sweatdrop]

You shall lead the way next time if we go road trips together..... [drivingcar]

You shall lead the way next time if we go road trips together..... [drivingcar]

================

Cannot. I sud follow behind cos later the slower cars cannot keep up & get lost then I get blamed. [rifle]

I wil take up the rear guard & try to follow u guys as best as I can. Even if I get lost also no prob cos I wil then just follow my GPS to the destination. [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement