Going to the dark side with Linux

Genie47

My PC is now semi crashing running on XP.

A new copy of Win7 is 159. I don't want to shell out this amount for an OS that is going to get bloated. Worse, will slowly degrade thanks to the registry and the .DLLs.

Then I looked at the Linux distros. They look good. I don't need to game anymore. The PC is now used for surfing, email, viewing Youtube videos, minor content creation with photos some videos and of cours the usual wordprocessor and spreadsheets.

D/L'd Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and ran it off the CD. Impressive. So I decided to look for something for an easier transition. Linux Mint 8 Helena is more like it. Still Windozey for the wife to transition to.

Anybody taken the leap. I'm sick and tired of paying to M$ for failure and lousy security.

↡ Advertisement

My PC is now semi crashing running on XP.

A new copy of Win7 is 159. I don't want to shell out this amount for an OS that is going to get bloated. Worse, will slowly degrade thanks to the registry and the .DLLs.

Then I looked at the Linux distros. They look good. I don't need to game anymore. The PC is now used for surfing, email, viewing Youtube videos, minor content creation with photos some videos and of cours the usual wordprocessor and spreadsheets.

D/L'd Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and ran it off the CD. Impressive. So I decided to look for something for an easier transition. Linux Mint 8 Helena is more like it. Still Windozey for the wife to transition to.

Anybody taken the leap. I'm sick and tired of paying to M$ for failure and lousy security.

no need games then linux is surely enough for you... but open office still got some catching up to do from MS office. surfing is no problems

compatibility with your friends and colleague files might be an issue too... unless you make some prep before hand

Edited by Ngck

Cross compatibility is there when compare to 10 years ago. It just a matter of choice.

For windows, you can chose to remove the necessary functions and files from the installation and install the skim version of windows.

The whole setup process for ubuntu is very close to windows or I will say its even better.

I am toggling between windows and linux.

Glad linux is gaining popularity among end consumers.

Cheers.

I am on Ubuntu dual boot with Windows Vista on my laptop and with Windows XP on another Netbook.

Boy, I find myself no need to go back to Windows at all. Only on rare occasions that I need to use IE for some website (esp Microsoft website or affiliated sites).

I have no issue whatsoever with OpenOffice 3 and MSOffice. Last time OpenOffice 1 or 2 got formatting issues. Now with latest version 3, I have no issues.

Neutral Newbie

no need games then linux is surely enough for you... but open office still got some catching up to do from MS office. surfing is no problems

compatibility with your friends and colleague files might be an issue too... unless you make some prep before hand

For computability with open office and MS office, you can always use wine (windows emulator) to go along with MS office. And if that sounds too techie for you to install and configure, you can always opt for crossover office which is a paid software but it is a one time off investment which is easier for you to install MS office.

There are always alternative flavor of linux with the make like opensuse, fedora, pclinuxos and mandriva. Have to agree with the TS that ubuntu and linuxmint is the easier for a beginner to start with. Cheerio

Compared to the 0.x kernels which I used in 1993, today's distribution of Linux is very much more user friendly with no lack of support of device drivers. Even back then in 1993, I could already dual boot between both and able to serve all my needs easily.

I knoe nuts about linux till my NTU intern was using.

Seems so much easier than MS..

he was using some similar MS office program, his works passed to me, no problem leh using my MS office..

↡ Advertisement