Detailing disaster

Ethene

Hi bro recently just went to do polishing waxing and all. Used buffing machine.

Did my boot all ok but when coming to buff my right rear door, the paint sort of 'melted' and left a few marks in it.

Stopped polishing immediately.

I cannot live with the marks and i was thinking of respraying just the door.

However i did before a respray on a small area and the workshop really unable to match the new paint with my current colour. I still can see quite an obvious difference. Now i am afraid of similiar new paint mismatch happen this time. Imagine one door with obvious different tone of colour! OMG. What do you experts guys suggest me to do?

Below are the pictures for clearer understanding.... [:(]

Thanks!

post-10821-1268736516_thumb.jpg

post-10821-1268736527_thumb.jpg

post-10821-1268736541_thumb.jpg

post-10821-1268736557_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

If yours is an original colour bro, the workshops can simply obtain your colour code and achieve the same colour tone!! [wave]

looks like the paint got scratched off by the machine (can see its a circular direction). You might need to reputty and sand(to make the surface even) and respray the whole door..... because now you have a concave surface. [:(]

Nina

fwah. you stayed too long at one area and the heat built up.

You using rotary or DA? it's kinda hard to screw up with a DA though.

Neutral Newbie

Seek compensation if the polishing job was a commercial one, if it is goodwill of friends helping you, too bad.

If you really like the car, you have to respray the door.

If your car is very important to you, you might need to spray the adjacent panels to match the colour.

Or else, you can try to use touch up paint, make it less visible, and live with it.

Thank you guys for all the inputs...

I will definitely go fix it...

But it is true that no matter how you respray, you cannot match the colour exactly? [smallcry]

i think depends on how old your car also.

if relative new .. then maybe easier to match.

If age liau.. then the original color might have fade also & the new fresh coat might have difference then...

Just my 2 rupies

Thank you guys for all the inputs...

I will definitely go fix it...

But it is true that no matter how you respray, you cannot match the colour exactly? [smallcry]

boh pian one... thats y the painter usually spray whole panel... so that the diff in the calour is not too obvious..

if I were u.... i will get a sticker to cover it... cheaper + 1 sticker can increase 5bhp ... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

if u have intend to send for respray..how about some sanding..

Ben, I dun think sanding will help it anymore, look like burn through the color base coat.

Really feel sorry to you, hope will find the solution soon. You are not the first one to experienced this terrible detailing.

This disaster told all of us "RESPECT" the machine

Edited by Newyaris

Ben, I dun think sanding will help it anymore, look like burn through the color base coat.

right manz Wil..Is burnt off..My thought was since going for a respray..just give it a try..

Edited by Maddriver

Looks like u "burn" the paint using the rotary polisher. Sometimes they wil polish on a wet car to keep the paint cool.

Best is to send for a re-spray of the whole panel.

The better paint shops sud b able to match the colour for u but u must know that red is a fast fading colour & if the original paint has faded too much, there wil b a difference in colour shade.

That is why I prefer to send my car to a professional groomer. They have the experience to prevent this kind of thing happening & if it does happen, They wil have to rectify the damage for me at their own cost not mine.

Think just respray that small area can already lah. The difference in colour can only be noticed by grooming professionals and yourself. Most folk around would find it hard to notice even if you stood there and pointed out the difference to them!

After awhile, they'll be like "Hmmm...now that you mentioned it, think I can see a little bit of diff. Aiyah! Don't worry lah, nobody will notice one lah!"

But it's your car so the choice is yours, if you cannot live with it yourself, then do whatever it takes to make you happy.

Neutral Newbie

Wow, that's a pretty ugly mistake. I bet you could have anybody fix that up for a couple hundred. If you do it yourself you're probably going to do an awful lot of work. I know a few people who might be able to take care of that for you...

if u have intend to send for respray..how about some sanding..

Bro can u let me know about sanding?

↡ Advertisement