Car Insurance Cheats....WATCH OUT !!!

Blackseal

DRIVERS who make false statements on a vehicle accident to insurance companies, take note.

The Motor Insurance Taskforce, set up last September to address the issue of rising motor- insurance premiums, said yesterday that it is proposing to criminalise false accident reporting to insurers.

This proposal is one of nine recommendations that the taskforce hopes will help lower the increasing premiums, if adopted.

The taskforce's members include the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case), the Automobile Association of Singapore, the Land Transport Authority and the General Insurance Association of Singapore.

The taskforce added that it has put up the recommendation as there could be cases of dishonest accident reporting when drivers try to shift the responsibility for an accident onto another party.

By doing so, they would not have to make a claim with their motor-insurance company.

Drivers who do not make claims for a year enjoy a discount on their motor-insurance premiums for the following year.

However, a false report could result in the aggrieved party hiring a lawyer to defend him, and these legal costs would be included in one of the accident claims.

This in turn would prompt insurers to raise premiums.

Last year, the average premium hit $1,033, a 21.5 per cent jump from $850 in 2008.

The taskforce is also recommending that touting of motorworkshop services at accident sites be criminalised, a move which Mr Joey Lim, president of the Singapore Motor Workshop Association, welcomes.

He said such touts steal business from legitimate workshops, as they would rush to a trafficaccident site to "offer" help.

But, in reality, he said, they are trying to hoodwink motorists involved in the accidents to accept expensive motor-repair services, which would then inflate insurance claims.

Some touts even teach drivers how to make false reports so that a successful insurance claim can be made to pay for the touts' repair services.

Mr Yeo Guat Kwang, the taskforce's co-chairman and president of Case, said the taskforce will speak to relevant associations and the authorities on implementing the recommendations in the next six months.

While he could not say when the recommendations may be implemented, he is hopeful that the more straightforward ones, like raising the claims limit at the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre, can be quickly adopted.

↡ Advertisement

A friend of mine told me that some car owners (in Jarkata) smash their own windscreen in order to report theft and then claim insurance.

lol.. my windscreen damaged by old wipers now new wipers can't clean it properly. dad say if it gets worse juz smash it pay $100 to change.. =x

Hi,

I was recently involved in an accident and the other party was at fault however they changed their statement and even got an eye witness who happen to be a friend working in a workshop. Now my insurance company say that due to their statement I will most like get a 50-50 instead of a full claim against him. Is this legit ? I made a police report for this case as I felt that if they can get away with lying it will be unfair and many other drivers please be careful. Below is the tips that I got from the police during my police report

1) Always call 999 after accident, it is a must to report accident to police whether there is injury or not. The TP will be there to understand the situation and facilitate the exchange of particular. The other driver refuse to give me his particular until his friend came.

2) Take pictures of the whole accident in all angles.

3) Don't move the vehicle before TP comes if possible.

4) However it is still unfortunate if someone comes out and lie which is beyond control.

post-153426-0-71386500-1419045962_thumb.jpg

post-153426-0-72768900-1419045972_thumb.png

post-153426-0-78743300-1419045976_thumb.png

Edited by JasonTay

Turbocharged

Hi,

I was recently involved in an accident and the other party was at fault however they changed their statement and even got an eye witness who happen to be a friend working in a workshop. Now my insurance company say that due to their statement I will most like get a 50-50 instead of a full claim against him. Is this legit ?

you got video of the accident?

Hi,

I was recently involved in an accident and the other party was at fault however they changed their statement and even got an eye witness who happen to be a friend working in a workshop. Now my insurance company say that due to their statement I will most like get a 50-50 instead of a full claim against him. Is this legit ?

Make a complaint, if you have in car video footage, submit together . Let authorities investigate.

Hi,

if you have no cam to prove, then its your words against them.

Or, if your pocket is deep enough, you may engage a lawyer to challenge it but lots of trouble and no bao win.

Expect MIB to take action in your favour, the file is most probably stack under a key board for support.

Sorry to hear that unfortunately if you got no witness or video then if you want to pursue likely have engage lawyer and sue. I had a previous incident where the other party also say my fault show video threaten police they say their fault and pay up.

I got no video lor... Anyway saw the accident at 205 Hougang St 21 , Kovan hawker center car park at the one way road on Wed 17 Aug 730pm ? Plea for witness !

• Praise 2

I understand that, but clearly the witness is a friend who's working for a workshop. Let see what the insurance company will do or will do nothing and let it settle at 50-50. This is so crap, anyone can just ask any one to be a witness and get away with it. So easy.

Turbocharged

Below is the tips that I got from the police during my police report

1) Always call 999 after accident, it is a must to report accident to police whether there is injury or not. The TP will be there to understand the situation and facilitate the exchange of particular. The other driver refuse to give me his particular until his friend came.

2) Take pictures of the whole accident in all angles.

3) Don't move the vehicle before TP comes if possible.

4) However it is still unfortunate if someone comes out and lie which is beyond control.

this is not entirely true. unless there is injury or damage to govt property, TP will not get involved.

Don't move the vehicles until you take pictures and video.

If the other party refused to exchange particulars and drive away, make sure your at least get hold of the vehicle reg number. report hit and run to police.

Yeah its sucks, system here is sai. No injuries police wun chup, police no chup insurance company also no chup. In the end usually 50/50. From your insurers perspective they can whack your premium up so not sure if they have the incentive to do the right thing.

Sometimes I think of installing two videos cameras, especially after my incident where I thought the camera was spoiled. When I told the insurers no video at first they told me almost confirm 50/50

I understand that, but clearly the witness is a friend who's working for a workshop. Let see what the insurance company will do or will do nothing and let it settle at 50-50. This is so crap, anyone can just ask any one to be a witness and get away with it. So easy.

Sorry to hear that unfortunately if you got no witness or video then if you want to pursue likely have engage lawyer and sue. I had a previous incident where the other party also say my fault show video threaten police they say their fault and pay up.

You should let them continue to submit their report. and you provide the video proof to your insurance, and make police report for fraud, no need to give chance to such people!

• Praise 2

DRIVERS who make false statements on a vehicle accident to insurance companies, take note.

The Motor Insurance Taskforce, set up last September to address the issue of rising motor- insurance premiums, said yesterday that it is proposing to criminalise false accident reporting to insurers.

This proposal is one of nine recommendations that the taskforce hopes will help lower the increasing premiums, if adopted.

The taskforce's members include the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case), the Automobile Association of Singapore, the Land Transport Authority and the General Insurance Association of Singapore.

The taskforce added that it has put up the recommendation as there could be cases of dishonest accident reporting when drivers try to shift the responsibility for an accident onto another party.

By doing so, they would not have to make a claim with their motor-insurance company.

Drivers who do not make claims for a year enjoy a discount on their motor-insurance premiums for the following year.

However, a false report could result in the aggrieved party hiring a lawyer to defend him, and these legal costs would be included in one of the accident claims.

This in turn would prompt insurers to raise premiums.

Last year, the average premium hit $1,033, a 21.5 per cent jump from $850 in 2008.

The taskforce is also recommending that touting of motorworkshop services at accident sites be criminalised, a move which Mr Joey Lim, president of the Singapore Motor Workshop Association, welcomes.

He said such touts steal business from legitimate workshops, as they would rush to a trafficaccident site to "offer" help.

But, in reality, he said, they are trying to hoodwink motorists involved in the accidents to accept expensive motor-repair services, which would then inflate insurance claims.

Some touts even teach drivers how to make false reports so that a successful insurance claim can be made to pay for the touts' repair services.

Mr Yeo Guat Kwang, the taskforce's co-chairman and president of Case, said the taskforce will speak to relevant associations and the authorities on implementing the recommendations in the next six months.

While he could not say when the recommendations may be implemented, he is hopeful that the more straightforward ones, like raising the claims limit at the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre, can be quickly adopted.

Wonder what take them so long to recommend this change?

Now, honest driver is " punished " by having to pay more for car insurance!

• Praise 3

I submitted the report to the insurer, didn't have the video at the time cause the SD card was corrupted (only recovered it later which I gave them also). Police report I ask the station, actually no injury they don't care, And pass 24 hours some more they lagi don't care. I just told the other party to scare them. Only after I got the video out they the other party say willing to privately settle.

Worse is once you report to insurers and they other party deny usually 50/50 even if you want to retract the report / claim the insurer will not allow it until the other party provides private claim letter. Which means if other party play punk and don't do anything your insurer will have that on your record as an accident.

You should let them continue to submit their report. and you provide the video proof to your insurance, and make police report for fraud, no need to give chance to such people!

↡ Advertisement