Adam Khoo: The expats will rule Singapore

Viceroymenthol

the way we behave partly due to our strict systems.

speak up and thou be punish. (e.g. schools, SAF etc)

Agree.... And the old man is nt appreciative tt we sillyporean r so obedient. He says we like to complain. Wait till we follows Ang mo stlye n go demonstrate den he'll regret.

Neutral Newbie

wake up!

The Expats Will Rule Singapore

Out of 100+ resumes, more than 60% came from expats. While locals fresh grads are asking for $2,500+ per month, I have expats with masters degrees from good universities willing to get less than $2,000!

Sians..... in the end, it is about cost cutting, right... cut costs by hiring lowly paid over-qualified foreign workers at the expense of local workers... it is the same in my company... why would the employers pay more for local workers when they can get cheap foreign workers desperate for work???

I dun think Singaporeans here are slackers and not work hard or efficiently... i think it is more that the locals who live here want a lifestyle... they want a life beyond work... we, Singaporeans already work some of the longest hour in the WORLD! So naturally, most employees would want a job with work-life balance. However, foreigners come here desperate for a job to secure their work passes and eventually their PR... so they are willing to work for less.... dun forget... even though they are paid less locally, they are making BIG bucks for their eventual return to Homeland where costs of living has to be much lower than SG.

There would and definitely be a case of a different mindset bet Employer and Employee. The employer wants an employee work a lot and dun complain for little wages. But the employee wants a high pay and be able to knock off on time for family or social commitments. I think this disparity is where the authorities esp the govt needs to step in. Cos of this disparity, the open market system will not work.. certain rules have to be in place to protect employees interest esp when the foreign labour market in SG is growing increasingly. If you ask yourself, which group is bigger and is responsible for voting the govt in? the employees or the employers? the answer is simple. I hope changes can be made for the better!!! [bounce2]

Sians..... in the end, it is about cost cutting, right... cut costs by hiring lowly paid over-qualified foreign workers at the expense of local workers... it is the same in my company... why would the employers pay more for local workers when they can get cheap foreign workers desperate for work???

I dun think Singaporeans here are slackers and not work hard or efficiently... i think it is more that the locals who live here want a lifestyle... they want a life beyond work... we, Singaporeans already work some of the longest hour in the WORLD! So naturally, most employees would want a job with work-life balance. However, foreigners come here desperate for a job to secure their work passes and eventually their PR... so they are willing to work for less.... dun forget... even though they are paid less locally, they are making BIG bucks for their eventual return to Homeland where costs of living has to be much lower than SG.

There would and definitely be a case of a different mindset bet Employer and Employee. The employer wants an employee work a lot and dun complain for little wages. But the employee wants a high pay and be able to knock off on time for family or social commitments. I think this disparity is where the authorities esp the govt needs to step in. Cos of this disparity, the open market system will not work.. certain rules have to be in place to protect employees interest esp when the foreign labour market in SG is growing increasingly. If you ask yourself, which group is bigger and is responsible for voting the govt in? the employees or the employers? the answer is simple. I hope changes can be made for the better!!! [bounce2]

See that is what i am trying to say ....

The elitism mindset of the new teacher who refuse to teach in a neighbourhood school fits aptly in this context.

Bolehland practice protectionism. You should know very well if this step is implemented.

Neutral Newbie

it's the "I am the boss, I pay your salary" mindset, wants all employees to be cheap & work like a dog. We are all guilty of it.

e.g. majority of the ppl who are an employee and got maids at home, will you pay the maid higher than the minimum wage? will you give them a few months bonus? will you give them time off in weekends? will you let them nights off everyday? will you let them use the internet freely?

NOOOOOOO...because your boss tekan you, you need to tekan somebody, preferably the lowest end of the food chain.

we are actually living the life of a maids.

we must strive to become boss.....not the maid's boss , please.

Edited by Theone2010

This my friend, is the mentality of the world owes you something. Perhaps even the maid owe you something.

Unless you are happy to be a hawker which is nothing wrong and makes a lot of money too. Competition is not only between you and your Singapore FTs, or you and your boss. Its between you and the world, your boss and his competitors, your company and other companies in the world. Even for hawkers, its between your service and receipe vs your competitor's service and recipe. By clocking 20 hours a day alone will not give you that competitive edge.

Partly, it could be due to our education where it discourage questioning authority, or alternative views and solutions. Once the world changes, it makes it difficult for us to adapt and tries to look up to authority for answers.

If you can get over with this mentality, you will appreciate your maid a little better. Appreciate the extra care she gives to your kids, appreciate the delicious meal she makes for you and your family rather than to make her clock extra hours with minimum salary. Is it the value add you are going for or the extra hours ?

it's the "I am the boss, I pay your salary" mindset, wants all employees to be cheap & work like a dog. We are all guilty of it.

e.g. majority of the ppl who are an employee and got maids at home, will you pay the maid higher than the minimum wage? will you give them a few months bonus? will you give them time off in weekends? will you let them nights off everyday? will you let them use the internet freely?

NOOOOOOO...because your boss tekan you, you need to tekan somebody, preferably the lowest end of the food chain.

we are actually living the life of a maids.

we must strive to become boss.....not the maid's boss , please.

Adcom, set up in 1974, is owned by well-known entrepreneur Adam Khoo and his father Vince Khoo.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sph-seeks-winding-up-of-ad-agency

Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), which publishes The Straits Times, has applied to wind up an advertising agency, Adcom, following the latter's failure to pay a $1 million judgment ordered by the High Court two months ago.

The move by SPH came after Adcom, which had been given 21 days to pay the judgment debt, failed to do so by the Aug 29 deadline. SPH sued Adcom in March this year after the agency failed to pay about $1 million in advertising fees.

Adcom, set up in 1974, is owned by well-known entrepreneur Adam Khoo and his father Vince Khoo.

Between October 2015 and February this year, SPH issued various invoices to Adcom for advertisements it had published on behalf of the agency. However, Adcom did not pay these sums, totalling $1,005,546.43.

After it was sued by SPH, Adcom filed a counter suit. It contended that SPH had orally agreed not to strictly enforce the terms of the 1999 agreement. Adcom asserted that SPH had breached this alleged oral agreement. It also claimed SPH had contacted clients of Adcom and induced them to breach their contracts with the agency.

On May 31, SPH applied for summary judgment to be granted for its claim for $1 million. This was not opposed by Adcom at the hearing of the application on July 21.

On Sept 13, SPH filed a winding up application against Adcom, on the basis of the agency's inability to pay its debts under the Companies Act.

The winding up application is scheduled to be heard on Oct 7.

• Praise 3

To him 1m can't be that big that he cannot pay, why go against the press? People can everyday post O$P$ on their first page legally. Sure do him more harm since he working as a motivational speaker and need the press to advertise his company.

Better just pay up if not who will now pay money to listen to a debtor who cannot repay his debt and claim himself as successful?

Edited by Beethong

The summary judgement is against Adcom, not Adam Khoo.  So if Adcom has no much money in its coffers, SPH will get nothing from winding up Adcom.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1