Do You Think Cars Should be Kept Plain and Simple?

Celicagt42010

Do You Think Cars Should be Kept Plain and Simple and be more reliability?

After reading up so many cases about car recalls because of electronic problems, I feel too much electronics simply make a car overly complicated and sacrifice reliability.

Things like E throttle, which I feel is totally redundant. Whats so bad about having a cable to the throttle? Does it make the car less efficient and harder to drive? I only read about people complaining about the throttle lag......

I have also read about BMW's valvetronic problems and problems with the i drive etc.

Of course, I do agreed that all these advances in cars and make the car easier to drive, safer and improve FC etc. But the amt of R&D and testing done to cars because its roll out is nowhere near that of other high tech equipment like planes etc. With the stiff competition, manufacturers would be rushing to push out new models and hence even less time for adequate testing.

↡ Advertisement

After reading up so many cases about car recalls because of electronic problems, I feel too much electronics simply make a car overly complicated and sacrifice reliability.

Things like E throttle, which I feel is totally redundant. Whats so bad about having a cable to the throttle? Does it make the car less efficient and harder to drive? I only read about people complaining about the throttle lag......

I have also read about BMW's valvetronic problems and problems with the i drive etc.

Of course, I do agreed that all these advances in cars and make the car easier to drive, safer and improve FC etc. But the amt of R&D and testing done to cars because its roll out is nowhere near that of other high tech equipment like planes etc. With the stiff competition, manufacturers would be rushing to push out new models and hence even less time for adequate testing.

true, for better FC, carbon emissions, etc.

though it really sucks for them to rush to push out new models and quality is sacrificed. [:(]

It is simple, the engine system nowadays getting more complex. For the engine to produce high power and immediate response with less fuel and less emission, the mechanical throttle may not preferable. The car itself is quite reliable (with 10k-15k servicing compared to old days 3000-5000 km servicing).

The recent Toyota issue is more political and lack of user awareness issue rather than technically the car at fault.

Behind every problem is a solution in disguise.

Behind every solution is a problem in disguise.

More feature = more fault.

Less feature = less fault.

Edited by Aeromania

I only support suspension and brake upgrade for better handling and safety that's all. Other than that keep the car as stock as possible.

All a car needs... is a bigass engine in the correct position (behind you), the correctly driven wheels (the rear) and an awesome suspension. ^_^

(Ok just kidding... but if we're going for comforts like a mobile bungalow, then I think electronics are bound to be included somehow.)

All a car needs... is a bigass engine in the correct position (behind you), the correctly driven wheels (the rear) and an awesome suspension. ^_^

(Ok just kidding... but if we're going for comforts like a mobile bungalow, then I think electronics are bound to be included somehow.)

You need a Mitsubishi I [laugh]

I always believe the more electronic device the car has, the higher the maintainence when it age. When they don't give u problem, u will enjoy it....when they one by one start to break down u will have big headache. The end road is usually to sell it rather than repairing them.

I totally agree that cars should be kept plain and simple. Plain and simple as in the least of electronic gadgets the better. Electronic stuffs are in no doubt less reliable compare to mechanical stuffs, AND electronic stuffs are much more difficult to pin point and trouble shoot compare to mechanical stuffs. I honestly do not have as much faith in long term reliability for modern cars as cars of the late 80s and 90s, be it well known brand or not.

The pace of life for competitiveness and cost cutting measures won't be providing any serious honest to goodness reliability as yesteryears and that is not going to change...

I do miss the times when I could DIY fixed mechanical parts if I could and get the car working again for a long time. Electronic parts... I'm not an expert...

Wei... don't be naughty. You never bold the word just before that phrase! [:p]

hehe.. but I engine also big, just small in CC nia. [:p] you cannot carry it right. [laugh][laugh]

then you will love my musso pigkarp

it has a bigass engine, well....in the wrong position (front), selectable 4wd or rear wheel drive and definately a set of awesome suspension.

there are no electronics. no ecu, no piggyback, no frills

just plain heavy metal [pirate]

You have to move forward leh,

you cannot stop evolution.

You can go buy COE cars if you like,

but the rest of the world wants newer technology cars.

Can you imagine us still using 14.4 kb modems ??

This is what we call progress. Many things r done to car's some to consumer benefit some to manufacturers.

How can they keep same basic model...Must con the CONsumers with bells & whistles..Same do this do that etc etc..But in fact we only use those frills like 2-5% of our driving. Rest of the time they stay there just to spoil & create a phenomena known as engine check light on [laugh] which gives money to authorised dealers.

I think maybe only VW/Audi has created inroads for more powerful yet efficient engines. The rest create cars with similiar performance of 10 year old cars. Like If you see the spec of performance/efficiency ratio its pretty much the same. Only the newer cars r plusher( read heavier) & have better sound insulation. Of course most of Sgporeans dont know & say oh newer is better..In some sense its true but Top gear did blindfold a test of old S class & new S class & the difference was hardly perceptible despite the old S class costing only 15% of the new 1!

Edited by Zanter
↡ Advertisement