SCDF seeks court injunction against Mustafa Centre

Blackseal

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) is getting a court injunction against Mustafa Centre to close part of its building for breaching safety violations. According to SCDF, these include "serious episodes of overcrowding".

A pre

↡ Advertisement

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) is getting a court injunction against Mustafa Centre to close part of its building for breaching safety violations. According to SCDF, these include "serious episodes of overcrowding".

A pre

that place is really really overcrowded with lots of shelves, narrow walkways, high volume of human traffic, and no clear exits, especially for upper floors and basement

if a flash fire was to happen, the outcome would be unimaginable

good to see that our SCDF is taking this seriously now, rather than on hindsight

but having said that, mustafa is one of the best place to shop. the variety is simply amazing... you probably can find more variations of chinese medication there than a TCM shop

SCDF is pretty pro-active when it comes to fire safety.

Mustafa also hard on them lah...overcrowding ?? Then how ? If more customers come and they have to turn them away ?

I suspect its some red eye people complain about them lah...see their biz so good....

that place is really really overcrowded with lots of shelves, narrow walkways, high volume of human traffic, and no clear exits, especially for upper floors and basement

if a flash fire was to happen, the outcome would be unimaginable

good to see that our SCDF is taking this seriously now, rather than on hindsight

but having said that, mustafa is one of the best place to shop. the variety is simply amazing... you probably can find more variations of chinese medication there than a TCM shop

I can imagine the open field opposite the current Mustafa turning into Mustafa 2....

(edited)

Mustafa also hard on them lah...overcrowding ?? Then how ? If more customers come and they have to turn them away ?

I suspect its some red eye people complain about them lah...see their biz so good....

Well u can say that overcrowding is not their fault, understandable. What about blocking fire exit, access? I heard that their insurance for their building increase by ten of thousand as the insurance company inspect the premise and found tons of fire safety violations. Guess what............ they just accept the increase in premium. They got lotsof $$$$$$$, what is that ten over thousand increase, they can earn it back within 1 mth.

Edited by Kingcopa

I can imagine the open field opposite the current Mustafa turning into Mustafa 2....

FYI they are already expanding their current building.

for one they need to give more space in between the shelves, and not pack everyone like sardines.

to do this would reduce the yeild/profit per square foot, which would be poorer business sense...

so it is making more $$ per sq foot versus customer's safety

other things they need to do is to not block all the exits... apparently SCDF found goods blocking exits and fire safety equipment

i recently saw a video of how a fire occured suddenly in a very very crowded pub/disco in usa many years ago... a band was performing and it was like a mini concert. suddenly there was fireworks/pyrotechnic display and someone's drink caught the flames.... within five mins, the whole place was on fire and many were trapped inside as the place only had 1 exit and everyone was cramping to get out. very horrifying video

If there is a fire and Mustafa gets burned down, nearby Little India station can be rebuilt with a facade that resembles Mustafa.

Look at Raffles Place station. It is a facade of Robinson's!

Neutral Newbie

Its good to see finally action is taken. Also, in the recent IT show I realised if something happens no chance to escape..

Supercharged

i'm not being racist here.

but this is how indians do things...

go to India and see how they like to cramp alot of stuff and ppl together.......

its a culture thingy

The next place SCDF should focus on is BUGIS - the small shops and cramp walkways - is a serious fire hazard.

On the 2nd floor, even Aircon you can smell cigarette smoke, all it takes is a spark and the whole place will burn down...

indians know how to do biz ok?? of course they want to max out all spaces for business mah.

i have worked for an indian boss before...really slave driver =(

not everything is cheap in mustafa la but i like to go there for late night shopping after 12am when not so crowded and easier to find parking.

(edited)

indians know how to do biz ok?? of course they want to max out all spaces for business mah.

i have worked for an indian boss before...really slave driver =(

not everything is cheap in mustafa la but i like to go there for late night shopping after 12am when not so crowded and easier to find parking.

yes, got to know the price to get good deals, some items are unbelievably cheap in Mustafa.

I love going to Mustafa due to the huge varieties of products, but it is not easy to find what you want because things are scattered all over the place.

I usually go there after midnight too.

BTW, Mustafa is not that bad compare to those computer show at suntec or expo

Edited by Kwchan

wat i dun understand is since dey r prepared 2 pay fines, might s well engage a consultant 2 re-do their floor plans n display, the whole place macam rojak, i saw a pair of adidas shorts 1 time, n wen there 2 buy it, cant even find the spot, so confusing...... the whole place so haywire n the staff 2 busy chatting among demselves 2 even help [dizzy]

sometimes u wonder how mustafa keep track of their price..do they ever bring down prices of items that are outdated? their goods are everywhere like warehouse.

perfumes are definately cheaper than most places.

anyway their staff are ok de...ask them they will help u.

i ever tot of this place being overly stacked and crowded that I wonder if it exceed the load limit per floor...what if the building collapse one day? haha

wat i dun understand is since dey r prepared 2 pay fines, might s well engage a consultant 2 re-do their floor plans n display, the whole place macam rojak, i saw a pair of adidas shorts 1 time, n wen there 2 buy it, cant even find the spot, so confusing...... the whole place so haywire n the staff 2 busy chatting among demselves 2 even help [dizzy]

but i must say its quite a good place to shop once in a while. can find really good deals.