Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Zac

Very nice! On Alfa's all new C-Evo platform, this is apparently the make-or-break car for Alfa, who is the weakest link in the Fiat-Chrysler conglomerate. Last year, they only managed to move 100k cars worldwide...

The Giulietta will have to be a success, in other words, in chassis/drivetrain has to be competent enough to match it's looks and take on it's German rivals!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

The Giulietta will have to be a success, in other words, in chassis/drivetrain has to be competent enough to match it's looks and take on it's German rivals!

"The Alfa Romeo Giulietta will be quieter and better-riding than a VW Golf,

and more agile than a Ford Focus, according to its makers.

As a result, Alfa is already claiming European class supremacy in handling,

steering feel, performance-to-weight, ride comfort, NVH and safety,

according to Matteo Benedetto, the Giulietta project manager.

For comparison tests, Alfa engineers chose the model they feel marks

the

Edited by Eyke

the Giulietta definitely looks much better than the Golf Mk6 and 2011 Ford Focus hatch, both interior and exterior wise...

but they must develop the DSG gearbox fast...i don't think they have it for the 170bhp version, let alone the 235bhp one...

it'll definitely sell well, even if priced at Golf levels....

when is the 3door coming???

If you'll notice in the official video, unmistakably, AR is drawing inspiration/feel of 1950s.. but at the same time, modern features of the Giulietta are highlighted via pop-ups.

There was once a survey (can't remember where when except it's recent enough), that notes the biggest group of AR buyers are in the 35-40 age group. If so, why this new AR trend of design (8C, then Mito, now Giulietta)? I would think only people currently in the 50s would appreciate this design direction(?)

Let me define "appreciate". I am 40. I think the design is "not bad", but it doesn't stir me like the current 159 does. Like others have said, you would often steal glances at your 159.

As pointed out, AR's latest yearly figures dropped to (all time low?) of 100K cars per year. They still dare to move their entire design direction to something unproven and (most importantly) no one has done it before?

that's why AR wants to let the younger age group ppl get to be affiliated to AR products...

makes it appeal to more people...

eitherway

Giulietta is the starter of AR (bar the MiTo)...

treat it as a 1-series hatch and you'll get the point...

meant for younger buyers....

their replacement of the 159 will probably have more mature styling...

cheers!!!

that's provided AR make 3door version of the Giulietta lah...

or else the 5door will just be a stylish rival to the Golf and Focus...

but bear in mind the Golf Mk7 will be launching end of this year-early 2011....

haha...

the Giulietta definitely looks much better than the Golf Mk6 and 2011 Ford Focus hatch, both interior and exterior wise...

but they must develop the DSG gearbox fast...i don't think they have it for the 170bhp version, let alone the 235bhp one...

it'll definitely sell well, even if priced at Golf levels....

when is the 3door coming???

Giuletta will be on 1.4turbo direct injection (multiair) and variable valve timing, coupling with double clutch gearbox with paddle shift (DSG).

As with most car makers, dual clutch and turbo charged direct injection is the flavour of the decade.... new Ford Focus will also have 1.6 turbo direct injection with dual clutch gearbox (Powershift) ....

AR's claim of ride better than a Golf and handles better than a Focus..... well, is a big claim. IF they really manage to do it, kudos to them.

However, i am darn sure if the Giuletta lands here, the initial launch price will be nothing less than $120k base on current COE level.

aiyah....

by the time the Giulietta arrives, it should be around October that period or 4th Quarter 2010....

i think DSG for now is only available on their 1.4T 120bhp version....

i doubt their 170bhp version currently have DSG....only manual gearbox bah...

gotta wait for them to make DSG gearbox for the 170bhp version....

wait a long long time....

sigh...

Good luck waiting for the car to come in.

That will take forever.

even if it arrives now , it would not sell well . Just look at the number of Mito here . People would certainly go for better car with better reliability .

but have to admit , this thing is hooooot ! [inlove]

then what about the 159 ? it's been here since 2005 and there's afew running on the road . And it's quite cheap for a conti car .

i think people still care about the realibility issues with Alfa .

Supercharged

Good luck waiting for the car to come in. That will take forever.

at the very least it'll come way before the new Focus.

Turbocharged

but handle better than focus mk1 or mk2? miss the handling and feedback of the mk1.

↡ Advertisement