Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Zac

Neutral Newbie

Sorry, this is my first topic so I didn't know I put only 1 choice in the poll.

Admin please remove it if you can.

Edited by Zac

Giulietta is the replacement for 147 and not the 159. So can't compare between the two.

I think I like the body shape of Giulietta, but I rather they keep the "3 in 1" headlights which would give the car a fiercer look..

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

the front look retro..the rear is nice, but somehow the tail light resemble the kia.. [drivingcar]

overall, i give 7.5/10 to the outlook.

• Praise 1

I wish Alfa would stop trying to give the 8C look to all its cars (Mito and now Giulietta with 169 possibly having this bug-eyed look too). Just doesn't look as good compared to 159 and 147 which were styled just perfectly by Giugiaro and de Silva respectively.

• Praise 1

What matters most is the drive, and given Alfa's history this will be one ripper of a drive. It's great to see the Giulietta name coming back again - the original became a cult car and was a world beater. If Alfa can only replicate half of the personality and success of that one then they will be onto a winner that will bring Alfa back to their rightful place.

And Damien is right, this is the 147 replacement (i.e the 149) so should not be compared to the 159. FWIW, it will fall somewhere between the 1 and 3 series (closer to the 3) - so this or the 318? (take a look at the engine options first, price for the Alfa sure come in under the Beemer)

The two cars should not be compared as they are from different categories. Giuletta being a hatch while 159 a sedan. i think Giuletta will also be FWD while the next '159', the Giulia, will be RWD. Alfas are generally nice to drive, with good handling but don't expect breathtaking performances on a straight or in the corners. And i disagree it's all the drive that matters if you're referring to speed. In fact, driving an Alfa is also about the design, uniqueness and emotional appeal. If it's all about drive, there are many jap cars that outdrive an Alfa.

For the design, there's a leaning towards the 8C, hence the circular lamps. Even the interiors reek of 8C. Personally, i'm not blown away by the design but Alfa (or Italian) designs in general will still look more interesting than their foreign rivals. The original concept had a rear twin lamp design, like the GTR, but i guess the Italians wanted to be original and used this rear instead. If not, the concept rear looked nicer. Pricing should be close to the 318 and more than the basic 1series as the performance will be far better than the basic 1 series.

• Praise 1

The two cars should not be compared as they are from different categories. Giuletta being a hatch while 159 a sedan. i think Giuletta will also be FWD while the next '159', the Giulia, will be RWD. Alfas are generally nice to drive, with good handling but don't expect breathtaking performances on a straight or in the corners. And i disagree it's all the drive that matters if you're referring to speed. In fact, driving an Alfa is also about the design, uniqueness and emotional appeal. If it's all about drive, there are many jap cars that outdrive an Alfa.

For the design, there's a leaning towards the 8C, hence the circular lamps. Even the interiors reek of 8C. Personally, i'm not blown away by the design but Alfa (or Italian) designs in general will still look more interesting than their foreign rivals. The original concept had a rear twin lamp design, like the GTR, but i guess the Italians wanted to be original and used this rear instead. If not, the concept rear looked nicer. Pricing should be close to the 318 and more than the basic 1series as the performance will be far better than the basic 1 series.

The size of the cars is very different was the point I was attempting to make - they will occupy different categories (besides your very pertinent point abt hatch vs sedan)

When I say drive, I mean total experience behind the wheel. Everytime I drive an Alfa I smile - and it's not about outright staightline or speed - I have a family after all and am not a Carlos Sainz or Bruno Senna.

You're also right in that Alfa makes totally gorgeous cars - they have won so many awards until its not funny anymore.

It would be really really awesome if the 159 replacement (and my guess was also Giulia) were a rear wheel drive, but I don't know what to expect - the 169 is the next out of the stable after the 149 anyways, so there's some time to wait....

Personally, i'm not blown away by the design but Alfa (or Italian) designs in general will still look more interesting than their foreign rivals.

Quite agree with you on this. Although I personally would still have preferred the 159 headlights to be on the Giulietta but have to agree that Alfa or italian design would usually still look more interesting than other rivals...or should I say look less conventional?

I was just wondering what would the selling price be. Assuming 159 would still be around 100K when the Giulietta arrives, I dun forsee Giulietta to be cheaper than 90K, but if it were to be 90k++ close to selling price of 159, inevitably I guess many prospective buyer will say 'if its just several grand cheaper than the 159, might as well get the 159'. Iam expecting the OMV to be at least 27-28K and with that OMV level, it can't be more than 10k cheaper than the 159..

Edited by Damienic

Supercharged
(edited)

11.jpg

04.jpg

AlfaRomeo-Giulietta-21129939113091600x1060.jpg

Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-03.jpg

Official Site:

http://www.alfagiulietta.com/

Cool Configurator:

http://www.alfaromeo.com/carconfigurator/G...etta/index.html

"When it goes on sale in the spring of 2010,

the Giulietta will be offered with a choice of two gas burning engines.

The first is the 1.4TB making 120 HP and

the 1.4TB MultiAir that cranks out a total of 170 HP.

The top of the line Giulietta will be the 1750 TBi

that develops a maximum output of 235 HP and

will come with Alfa’s racy Quadrifoglio Verde trim package."

- topspeed.com

Edited by Eyke
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1