NY schoolgirl handcuffed for desk doodle sues police

Blackseal

Sun, Apr 04, 2010

AFP

NEW YORK - A 12-year-old New York schoolgirl who was arrested and handcuffed for doodling on her classroom desk is suing police for one million dollars, a report said Saturday.

Lawyers for Alexa Gonzalez claim police used excessive force and violated her rights in the February incident at Junior High School 190 in the Queens neighborhood.

Gonzalez's mother, Moraima Camacho, told the Daily News that the schoolgirl merely scribbled "I love my friends Abby and Faith" - in washable green ink - when teachers pounced on her and dragged her to the dean's office.

Police were called and officers cuffed and arrested the pre-teen. At the police station she was handcuffed to a pole for more than two hours, according to the lawsuit against the police and education departments.

The city could not be reached immediately for comment. Officials have previously said the arrest was a mistake.

"The whole situation has been a nightmare," Camacho was quoted as saying in the Daily News.

↡ Advertisement

US pple really gan puah bo liao...this type of thing also must sue... <_<

The fastest way to be a millionaire is to sue in the US [inlove]

(edited)

than I go US school doodle 'I love Mum and Dad'.

I think will get million bucks for that anot? :D

hahhah.

" I'm rich because I love Mum and Dad! "

Edited by Simplesilver

Sun, Apr 04, 2010

AFP

NEW YORK - A 12-year-old New York schoolgirl who was arrested and handcuffed for doodling on her classroom desk is suing police for one million dollars, a report said Saturday.

Lawyers for Alexa Gonzalez claim police used excessive force and violated her rights in the February incident at Junior High School 190 in the Queens neighborhood.

Gonzalez's mother, Moraima Camacho, told the Daily News that the schoolgirl merely scribbled "I love my friends Abby and Faith" - in washable green ink - when teachers pounced on her and dragged her to the dean's office.

Police were called and officers cuffed and arrested the pre-teen. At the police station she was handcuffed to a pole for more than two hours, according to the lawsuit against the police and education departments.

The city could not be reached immediately for comment. Officials have previously said the arrest was a mistake.

"The whole situation has been a nightmare," Camacho was quoted as saying in the Daily News.

The highlighted portion suggests FT in a tough neighbourhood. We all know how fxxked dup their racial issues can be over there. Plus anyone can exploit their law on racial issues, no surprise when on one can even sue state govt for millions just becos they are treated differently.

They call it Human Right....

Good and bad, I guess. US has too much emphasis on human rights. Sing....er, China, too little. Needs a happy medium.

In this case, I think the lawsuit is justified. Because, seriously, hand cuffing a twelve year old for just scribbling on desk?

Good and bad, I guess. US has too much emphasis on human rights. Sing....er, China, too little. Needs a happy medium.

In this case, I think the lawsuit is justified. Because, seriously, hand cuffing a twelve year old for just scribbling on desk?

Ya, I do agree the school and the police is over doing what they did and I catch ur er I understand what u trying to say on too little human right in sin....China. [laugh]

Turbocharged

They call it Human Right....

they have so many adverts on TV about asking people who have used xxx drug and come out to sue the manufacturer.. quite interesting.

Based on the information given, I also say should sue jialat-jialat. 12 year old girl? Handcuffed? For writing on desk?

C'mon! These cops think they are on hollywood playing starsky and hutch? Definately deserved for wrong confinement and punitive damages. I would imagine any normal kid would be scared to death of school and police by now.

(Of course, I think there's more to this story then actually given ... I don't think the police will over-react this badly unless there's extenuatng circumstances.... maybe this kid is a gang-leader, and been terrorising the school - and the school waiting for a chance to catch her in action and give her a scare. But things went haywire after that. That's my hypothesis.)

But on another subject - I must say the US police very hiong. If in Singapore, the police will probably tell the school not enough manpower to attend.. or even if they come, will take a few hours before some NS police kid comes and takes statememts from everyone.... and then inform everyone their civil rights and advises them to make magistrate report.

Unless, the kid is some opposition politician's kid... then the whole riot squad would have appeared even before the principal puts down the phone after calling the police. They'd have arrested the kid, and all the rest of the kids surrounding the kid. And then the high court would overturn the district judge's verdict of "I do not consider writing on tables with washable ink as vandalism"... and fine the kid (and the parents) to bankruptcy. Sue them?... ROTFL!!

Turbocharged

Ya, I do agree the school and the police is over doing what they did and I catch ur er I understand what u trying to say on too little human right in sin....China. [laugh]

you want singapore to be like USA then we all died liao. you smoke kenna sue cause you can cause the person cancer...

you discipline your children with Rod you kenna sue cause you are consider abusing your children.

you throw rubbish miss the bin cause you are polluting the enviroment... :wacko:

you want singapore to be like USA then we all died liao. you smoke kenna sue cause you can cause the person cancer...

you discipline your children with Rod you kenna sue cause you are consider abusing your children.

you throw rubbish miss the bin cause you are polluting the enviroment... :wacko:

Pretty sure the feeling is mutual. You tell an American about all the rules and restrictions Singapore has, he'll probably say the same thing.

Mind you, I'm not saying that US is better. Just different. US and Singapore takes two totally different approach to the same problem.

Both are far from a perfect balance, but Singapore is working better now. For some reason. Heh.

Turbocharged

Pretty sure the feeling is mutual. You tell an American about all the rules and restrictions Singapore has, he'll probably say the same thing.

Mind you, I'm not saying that US is better. Just different. US and Singapore takes two totally different approach to the same problem.

Both are far from a perfect balance, but Singapore is working better now. For some reason. Heh.

agree on that.

what i am pointing out is that we can never have total freedom.

Ya and when u xxx ur wife they will sue u cos noise pollution [laugh]

agree on that.

what i am pointing out is that we can never have total freedom.

Yes. Agree totally on that.

Total freedom is basically anarchy.

Wait, actually, we have total freedom in some countries already. Ethiopia, Nigeria, etc etc.

↡ Advertisement