Under Carriage Splash Cover Ripped Off!!

Karu

My under carriage cover (big piece of plastic covering the bottom of my engine compartment) got yanked off yesterday by some low curb at the car park. It was hanging by a few of the remaining screws & was dragging on the road as I drove. Could not secure it back as the secure points were cracked, so I cut off most of it so that it will not get in the way when the car is moving. With this removal, a large part (75%) of the engine comparment is expose the the elements as I drive along. Probably be driving this way until my next servicing ( 2 months away). So the question is: will there be any adverse effect to my engine should I continue driving without cover?

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Think the cover is more to prevent direct damage than water. No car is meant to be totally water proof, or else any hint of rain no need to drive already.

maybe you can try to find a replacement from the scrapeyard just for the peace of mind. singapore roads are generally well drained except for occasional puddles of water during heavy rain, just drive slower over them loh.

I guess the problem lies in the way you park your car, otherwise the cover won't get ripped off by carpark kerbs. If you reverse park things should be fine.

Not too worried about water... The cover was never water tight. More concerned about stray gravel going into the compartment. What are the chances of it happening? Will have to avoid stony & sandy part of the road if that's the case. Not very difficult in S'pore.

(edited)

I guess the problem lies in the way you park your car, otherwise the cover won't get ripped off by carpark kerbs. If you reverse park things should be fine.

Problem is the lot is one of those slanted ones. You'll need to go head in...

Edited by Karu

i modified my truck's undercarriage plate by replacing the original (aluminium) to steel

you may want to go to a metal shop to fabricate it

let me guess- is it a Honda car?

yup... airwave to be exact... Had similar prob with my family's ESI in the past...

i modified my truck's undercarriage plate by replacing the original (aluminium) to steel

you may want to go to a metal shop to fabricate it

Dun need a metal one... Too heavy. Will just let it be if it will not have any problem. Fingers Crossed...

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

beware of loose stones / gravel got fly into the engine compartment and dislodge something there

IMPORTANT thing is flying stones / small metal piece may cut the drive shaft elbow cover and lub will leak and stone / sand gets into the drive shaft ..... (u can imagine the rest)..

my Camry had one such incident - bottom engine cover intact, some how a stone flew in and bounced off the engine and sliced the drive shaft cover. and that was along ECP ............. BM refused the warranty of the drive shaft cover.

remember how a small metal strip downed a Concorde airliner, Air France flight 4590

Edited by Fedup-camry

errrr......don have

i recall there was a thread listing down all the phone numbers of scrapyards. maybe you call them and ask whether they have yopur number?