Which bank offers the highest Fixed Deposit rates?

Bank of Indonesia.

monthly deposit not need to do yearly or 5 yrs.

too illiquid.

but must convert your SGD to IDR first.......heh

IDR strenthening leh .....hehe

Maybe Century bank better........sometime money can increase, but when unlucky money can disappear one [laugh][lipsrsealed]

↡ Advertisement

saw this post thought i contribute abit since i went thru the exercise quarterly. amount is for illustration, u use ratio to calculate ur sizing accordingly.

1. for cimb, unless u have max allowed 750k @ 1% omterest rate, the incremental deposit is required like what genie47 explained. so if u have other source of deposit and u have trusted spouse or family member, open 1 under ur name, 1 under ur wife, 1 joint accounts (plus additional joint) each max out 750k, u then withdraw the interest of about 1900$ every month from each account.

2. if u have additional funds, other with other interest source, deposit them into philip security money market fund at 1.05% annualized interest rate. the amount u get may differs depending on the performance of the fund. so 500k average will yield u about 400$ per month this year so far.

3. stocks have been peakish these days and u can see especially the daily market depth and activities are mainly done by traders and minimum retail. no funds are buying now. so logically and conservatively, if u dont have positions, it will be good to wait out since u dont want to be caught as a sucker holding even the expensive stocks. also dividend stocks are best collected in small quantity to allow averaging cost method if u buy-and-hold. dividend are not guaranteed.

4. do not join ponzi and people who tell u they can make $ for u since it is illegal without a license to that particularly in sgp. proxy and u will be in trouble if things get ugly.

5. if u put into foreign currency deposit, upon maturity, some banks will convert to sgd first and u will kena exchange lost/gain risk in future. not worth it if u dont have use for the foreign currency. typical banks promote this as foreign fd or dual currency investment.

6. no gold or sti etf too. read http://atans1.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/sti...e-values-there/ & http://www.huffingtonpost.com/janet-tavako...a_b_518800.html

in all, i stay cash in various currency since boom time are best time to reduce debt and leverages, not accumulate asset and risk.

one more thing. do not put into sgd fd for long term. short term will be good since rate hike will up sibor and also deposit interest rate sooner. u fixed now for too long, u are suckered into the low fixed interest rate since we are at the lowest low liao.

Guaranteeing bank deposits is much easier for the government than you think; all they have to do is print a few 500k notes and the problem is solved.

The real question should be this: What do you think your 500k will be able to buy at that point?

Dude, you contradict yourself.

the question which you asked is part of the reason that truly guaranteeing deposits in actual terms is impossible. either ways, it will be the end if the scenario i mentioned happens

Dividends are peanuts lah unless you own 1000000 shares.. even Dividend U$0.01 you get U$10k Kpoi Lui...

How about comparing that to FD interest rate? Will it be bigger than peanuts?

Which brings me to the next issue.

This deposit guarantee by MAS is a bad thing. It is telling people that it is OK if the banks fail. That there is gahment money to help.

This kind of idea must be swept away.

The banks cannot fail and must work in a way that they ensure that they do not fail.

As you said, if that happens, the whole system will collapse. We have seen it last year with Iceland and now Greece, Italy and Spain.

wonder what will happen if new gahment takes over, unearth all the worms in the can, found empty cpf, coffers etc. then all the singkie dollar will become banana notes, then whole island is annexed into malaysia or china. will happen or not har?

by then we have another S added to the PIGS - SPIGS or PIGSS

Which brings me to the next issue.

This deposit guarantee by MAS is a bad thing. It is telling people that it is OK if the banks fail. That there is gahment money to help.

This kind of idea must be swept away.

The banks cannot fail and must work in a way that they ensure that they do not fail.

As you said, if that happens, the whole system will collapse. We have seen it last year with Iceland and now Greece, Italy and Spain.

No lar, dividends not always peanuts.

Singpost for example.

3-4 dividends a year, usually a total of 0.06.

But at only $1000 or so per lot (I got em @ $945), you're talking about 6% return. Also, Singpost among some of the most stable stocks.

If you have 50K and buy 50 lot, you're talking about nearly $3k a year. Of course, higher risk than banks, but I think, for this case, quite clear cut which investment makes more sense.

Of course, if you can really hold that cash, not going to need it for long term, I'll suggest riskier stocks. In long term, riskier stocks will generally give higher returns. But it's all according to your risk appetite. I won't put anything in penny stocks, though, because those are honestly just like gambling.

u r assuming it will do this forever.

they got new debts and dont forget the renewal of equipments and oversea investment which may turn booboos.

No lar, dividends not always peanuts.

Singpost for example.

3-4 dividends a year, usually a total of 0.06.

But at only $1000 or so per lot (I got em @ $945), you're talking about 6% return. Also, Singpost among some of the most stable stocks.

If you have 50K and buy 50 lot, you're talking about nearly $3k a year. Of course, higher risk than banks, but I think, for this case, quite clear cut which investment makes more sense.

Of course, if you can really hold that cash, not going to need it for long term, I'll suggest riskier stocks. In long term, riskier stocks will generally give higher returns. But it's all according to your risk appetite. I won't put anything in penny stocks, though, because those are honestly just like gambling.

Turbocharged

.. I won't put anything in penny stocks, though, because those are honestly just like gambling.

What about Healthway?

Turbocharged

If the COE price keeps rising, the public transport ridership will increase which translate to better profits.

Good time to accumulate some SMRT stocks?

u r assuming it will do this forever.

they got new debts and dont forget the renewal of equipments and oversea investment which may turn booboos.

Of course it's not guaranteed. That's why I also mentioned risk appetite. But this the 0.06 dividend has remained for quite a few years already. Besides, it can go up as well as down. So you may end up earning more, less, or Singpost may go kaput.

i have some from 80+cent time. not looking at it. but will dump if it break 1.00. i m also not adding anymore for sure. its crazy when u see the traders screw around with the pathetic buy/sell queue these days. crazy. 1 word.

i have some from 80+cent time. not looking at it. but will dump if it break 1.00. i m also not adding anymore for sure. its crazy when u see the traders screw around with the pathetic buy/sell queue these days. crazy. 1 word.

....singpost?

Erm, it's at about 1.06 right now.

Dump?

I'll be keeping because the dividends really quite attractive. But only 3 lots, haha. From back when I just started working and didn't have quite enough cash to throw around.

oooh yah boh?

Singpost traded to $1.1 recently now flat at $1.06 to $1.08 leh.

you talk c--k or you didnt watch market? [rolleyes]

i myself got 50lots from $1.15 all the way down to 70ct++ and have been taking profit slowly since late last year .

now left with 20 lots

↡ Advertisement